Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

I'm "helping" a friend with a 73 and his brakes.
1. His brake fluid reservoir is empty. 2. There is evidence of fluid underneath the front end. 3.The master cylinder is dry. 4. There is no evidence of leaking inside the vehicle by the brake pedal. 5. There is nothing inside the trunk/wheelwell area as in a bottle of brake fluid rolling around and leaking. 6.The rear brake line inside of the car is not leaking. 7.It's not the soft lines because of where the fluid has leaked. 8. It doesn't smell like gas or look like gas.

My question is has anyone ever hear of a master cylinder/brake line spraying upwards? There is quite a bit of fluid above the pan head, more towards the center of the car, above the master cylinder but more towards the center of the vehicle. I can't see where its coming from.

I thought we would replace the fluid, bleed the brakes and see if we can tell where it's coming from. Any other thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coonhunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

Fill up the resivoir and have someone with a flashlight watch the master cylinder while someone else pushes the brake pedal. If it is leaking very bad, it will show up. There are only a few places that it would normally leak, filling up the system and putting pressure on it should show you the leaks.

Has the car been sitting, or did it just run out of fluid while driving it?
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

It's been sitting.
Infotraker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

I found a hole in the brake line going under the master cyl inside the firewall on my 67 vw buggy. I thought it was the cyl and replaced it first
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

If mine, I'd start by getting and installing a new master cylinder, the best quality one I could find.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

Here's the pictures I promised
A little wet in the trunk area but no real evidence that something spilled
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Something leaked out of the panhead

Looking at the master cylinder

Another picture of the master cylinder

Looking up underneath the passenger side

And the most confusing, looking way above the master cylinder on the firewall

I think what we have is a combination of things - a gas tank leak - it's empty with rust and a little wet residue inside and a brake fluid leak. I've got it ready to bleed the brakes (had to reassemble some things that had been taken off). We're going to take the gas tank out, clean it and take a look from above. I'm thing we'll be able to see better from above once the gas tank is out. I imagine we'll go ahead and replace the master cylinder but it's not my car so we'll see. I'll update as we progress. Any other comments/suggestions welcomed. (Remember, it's not my car but my neighbors).
Luft kühl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
4. There is no evidence of leaking inside the vehicle by the brake pedal.

Remove the rubber boot from the master cylinder and inspect this area closely. This is usually where they leak from.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

I did look under the rubber boot - dry as a chip. You can see in the pictures, though, that the master cylinder is rusted. Not sure if that is from leaking brake fluid or the gas tank which definitely has a leak. Just took the picture of the drain out of the bottom of the gas tank.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

And peering down inside the tank

the usual rust. So the tank will come out and get the full treatment.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can brake line/master cylinder spray upwards? Reply with quote

The first part of what I suspected has been solved. The gas tank has been leaking.

The underside of the tank. This plug - or whatever it is - may be the culprit. Anywho, it will get the full treatment or a new tank.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: