Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 181 project pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

[email protected] said try to look in the barrels and see where the fuel is leaking from, and from that he can diagnose the problem. Being in a thing it's hard to look in the carbs, I looked the other day with a mirror and could see fuel moving on the butterfly plate but couldn't see where it was coming from. I couldn't motivate last night after a long day at work, but this morning I got up early and on a total whim set the float in the right side carb to 14mm height and 30mm drop. Everywhere I read says this is totally wrong except the paper that came with the carb which says, you guessed it, 14mm, However that paper, although it says Weber IDF at the top, displays a picture of a completely different carb and thats not where aircooled.net set them and I'm not about to start thinking I know better than them. Drove it to work, one should never test drive a car on the way to work but I did, and it ran great and then... didn't leak! However the left side carb that I didn't change didn't leak either. Brick wall The right one that I did change always leaks first though. So, I will drive it the fast long way home and if/when it drips I'll try to get in there with the snakey scopey thingy and see where it's coming from.

And now for what really matters...

New stainless steel hubcaps!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing that car in Tipp City!
I think you need a new Samba avatar Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Stainless steel?? For real?? Shocked Where from?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Stainless steel?? For real?? Shocked Where from?

For real! From ebay, mine were from a guy who bought them but didn't use them, but they're like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-Polished-Stainles...mp;vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vw-beetle-Splitscreen-ghia...Sw~bFWMSt~

I had bought some regular ones from cip1, same as the wolfsburg ones I already had but vw logo, and they would not fit. I couldn't get them on, finally got one on and it got hooked on the clip and I couldn't get it off. bent up the clip trying. These are really nice and fit well, just cost a lot.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

I think you're right! I still have that beetle but I don't write much about it, so far it sort of just always works no drama.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

I deleted my avatar then discovered I don't have good file resizing software on this computer so this is my temporary one. It may change frequently until I like it. d'oh!

Edit: I figured out how to put it back, that was a circus. I need to look through some moving boxes for old software now. Rolling Eyes
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Carbonoscopy
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I spent quite a bit of time experimenting with the carbs Sunday, driving it up to temp and poking and prodding and looking. Took one off and apart to pretty small pieces and learned some things about how it works. Corresponded with [email protected] some more, he suggested I use fuel injection intake manifold gaskets for more heat isolation so I put in my order for some. It looks like rising post shutdown head temps is boiling the gas in the carbs (where have I heard that?) and its getting up into the air idle circuit and leaking some in.

In other news my new ball joints are quite tight, enough so to affect steering return. I've found many samba references to this, most say theirs loosened up with time. I bought these pre-installed in the torsion arms from the thing shop. I'm running with the damper off at the moment and it is getting better the more I drive it, I'll put the damper back on when seems appropriate.

Just finished waxing it, Mid America Motorworks Funfest in a couple of days. Here's a pic 'cause pics are fun.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

When I put all my weight on the front bumper, the car doesn't move. So out with the gas shocks.

And in with the original type shocks.

I should paint that shock tower.

I lost nearly a half inch of ride height, which I don't like, but it rides so much better, night and day.

seilerj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

how was mid-America, fun fest... I was going to head down for the show but the weather seemed bad and I decided against it.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

seilerj wrote:
how was mid-America, fun fest... I was going to head down for the show but the weather seemed bad and I decided against it.

It actually turned out pretty good. Friday night the weather was fine for the fun run and downtown party, we had a good time. I had to work Saturday morning so we headed back out at noon Saturday, 1 hour 15 minute drive. It rained most of the way there then pretty much stopped when we arrived for the rest of the day. We bought the ultimate guest tickets this year, it was a total hoot! The Yagers and staff were great, it was a lot of fun. We stayed until the engine raffle at 9:00 then headed home, so we missed the main band but the lead up bands were a great show on their own. Ours and another thing were among the celebrity choice winners! Dancing

KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I kept experiencing an acceleration flat spot while at Funfest over the weekend, so I set about investigating the vacuum advance on my one year old bosch 034. I determined that the vac can starts moving at 4 in/hg vacuum and is completely advanced at 8 in/hg.

I then measured the vacuum off the left side carb and could only get 3in/hg max if I really revved it up. I even tried it under load while driving with the hose strung out the intake vent and under the convertible top to the passenger seat. The Weber IDFs just don't make enough vacuum. I samba searched and discovered this is a known problem. I tried a pulse modulator, only made it less pulsey, didn't increase the vacuum. Teeing off both carbs didn't help either, vacuum doesn't add together any more than positive pressure does. I then put in a new unbranded 009 distributor I had. It's totally garbage and ran in the most erratic fashion, so I gave it the stink eye, put a hex on it and put in and old german 009. This ran pretty good, aside of running like an 009. So it's monkeying around time!

I drilled a hole in my vacuum can and wiggled the spring out.

Here's the contestants!

First I tried this one.

Get in there!

That one needed 3 in/hg to start moving, still too stiff.

I tried this thin one cut in half, it was too light and wouldn't return the advance plate. It didn't want to come out so it had a "plier accident".

The winner! Yeah, I compressed that whole thing in there.

Advance starts moving at 1 in/hg and is all in by 2 1/2. Turns back to neutral when steady rpms are reached. With the distributor out of the car but hooked to the carb, car running on the 009 work the throttle vroom, vroom, vroom, the advance plate twist, twist, twist. Looks pretty good. I put a little silicone sealant on this little plug...

plugged the hole and reinstalled.

The car seems happy now, I'll drive it around some and see how it goes.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I drove the car back to Mid America Motorworks yesterday to pick up some new plug wires, mine were missing the little boots that seal the tin. The vac advance mod is working really well. It's not perfect, sometimes a slight spot can be detected, but over all everything is much smoother. I was worried that being more sensitive would allow it to somehow over advance at highway rpms, even though I know it shouldn't be able to. All was well on the trip, oil temp sat right at 200 for the solid hour each way no problems, happy car.

In order to compare I put the gas shocks back on the front. I just didn't like the way it looked with the loss of ride height. I'm very capable of letting appearance trump function, I consider it a toy car and I'm playing with it.

I'm getting tired of blowing out one of these every few hundred miles. What gives?

I decided to try the stock type. Even though they don't match up to the Thing Shop exhaust pipe size quite as well, maybe they'll hold up better. Makes me wonder what everyone else is using.

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Copper exhaust gaskets are the way to go. They are thick, seal well, and are good for the lifetime of the car.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Copper exhaust gaskets are the way to go. They are thick, seal well, and are good for the lifetime of the car.

Thanks, I like the sound of that. I'll look for them.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I just ordered the copper gaskets. Very Happy
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Copper gaskets are here!

Maxi 2 filter pump from CB Performance was this evenings project.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Here's some pictures of the old oil pump out of my approx. one year old rebuilt longblock.
Pitting on the side of pump body that appears to have been polished on.

Funky looking pitting on the pump gears.

Cover plate with two sets of wear marks.

I'll concede that it might be reasonable to reuse the cover plate but why would you mess about with a used pump? They're inexpensive yet so critical. Oil pressure was good and engine runs fine, so what do I know. Makes me wonder what else is in there.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

I started hearing a "noise" (shudder). Sounds like a light knocking separate of valve train noise, "seems" to center around the left bank of cylinders. I hear it at idle, tap tap tap. It goes away on acceleration, can't hear it while driving, gets quieter as the car warms up but doesn't go away completely. Can't seem to pin it to an exhaust leak. Doesn't seem to quite follow rod knocking rules, also doesn't go away when pulling plug wires one at a time. So it went something like this:

Good self: Maybe a head is coming loose, gets better when warms up.

Evil self: It's totally jacked up, the insides are made of used bubble gum remember the oil pump? Tear it apart.

Good self: I'll check the compression.

Evil self: Sissy! The engine's going to blow and shower school children with molten magnesium!

Good self: Akk! The compression numbers are 80, 77, 65, 73 and only two weeks to kubel treffen!

Evil self: See I told you, the insides are made of paper clips. It's going to Explode start a grass fire and harm forest animals.

Good self: Total mental shutdown. (makes noise with finger and lips)

So this happened.

Evil self: Sucker!

Nothing definitive, heads were tight, pistons look pretty scored up. Piston slap? Rod bearings looked ok sorta used (used?) number four seemed more worn than I like. Crank journals are smooth as can be and no discoloring.

Two pistons came out with the ring gaps lined up. Who's running too rich? Moi?

I'll autopsy the valves later, this is as far as I'm willing to go with this engine with limited time. I'd rather patch it back together and buy something with a little more displacement in the fall when I'm making money. Last night new rod bearings went in, everything feels snug and turns really smooth. This afternoon new pistons and sleeves, and new heads will go on, and I imagine we'll trailer it to kubel treffen to be on the safe side. This morning I gain pre assembly serenity by driving the beetle to work.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My 181 project pics Reply with quote

Nice to know people who know what they are doing argue with themselves.

KAmes wrote:
This morning I gain pre assembly serenity by driving the beetle to work.

Blue / white / white Super-vert = nice! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: