Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Bogs duriing start after running
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellBentPuppet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: 65 Bogs duriing start after running Reply with quote

Didn't know whether to post here or in another area but since I lurk here the most I thought I'd try here first Smile

I have a 65 with a 1776/dual scat 35's w/electric chokes, 2.5 fuel psi per manual, electric fuel pump ( I know sacrilege). The setup is a couple years old but but only about 3000 miles due to my limited summers up in the mountains.

It runs great, but if I stop to run into the market lets say for 15 min I go to start it and have to floor it to get her to kick in then stay on the throttle feathering it for a minute or two so it won't bog out on.

I've checked for leaks on the intakes, made sure the chokes where disengaging, checked for proper jetting.

Not a huge issue but just has me scratching my head.

A big thanks to all of Samba, I've learned and done a ton of stuff to my ride from here, installing all new wiring, new brakes/master, raising and lowering, carb tuning, installing and putting together motor/exhaust (Longblock already built not that far along to do it myself yet Smile ) and a ton of other random stuff. Just wanted to throw a large blanket "thank you" Smile
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bogs duriing start after running Reply with quote

Fairly normal behaviour for a carb'd engine. If you read through an original owner's manual for our cars, you'll find where the factory noted you may need to slowly open the throttle and hold it whilst cranking for a warm restart.
HellBentPuppet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bogs duriing start after running Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Fairly normal behaviour for a carb'd engine. If you read through an original owner's manual for our cars, you'll find where the factory noted you may need to slowly open the throttle and hold it whilst cranking for a warm restart.

So much for using this as a getaway car Very Happy

Ok then. I usually have to keep it idling for about 2 min then throw a few revs and its good.

Thank you for your response!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 Bogs duriing start after running Reply with quote

It takes you 15 minutes to rob a store??? Shocked JK JK JK!
My dual carbed 1679 does the same thing as you describe. I stop at the store do my shopping and 15-20 minutes later, I have to depress the throttle while cranking the engine to get enough air into the engine to over come the gas rich environment. Then I just give it a few rev's and live is good again after about 30 seconds. Just the nature of the beast.
Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: