Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not right,

the unrestored light green wheels are from KAMAX, the pisture of the restored '50 is from Jim!

Kamax did not update his post since 2008, I don't know what his car looks like today...

But I'm also sure Kamax rims where not L11 but light green before restoration. Is it perhaps L14 resedagrün?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Nico, you're right, wrong "after-paint-picture", I removed it in my post, not really relevant anyway Smile

But yes, I also agree that his original paint wheels are light green. The correct color code has earlier been suggested to be L13 or L16. I don't think L14 is light green enough to be the correct one Smile
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But resedagreen is very, very light!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naah... It's just semi-light green. Smile Certainly not light enough to be split wheelcolor light green Smile
RidinRusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 52 crotch cooler L11 and the correct rim color is L16. Mine is almost finished I will posting pics after upholstery, I am still trying to figure out bumper color. I think red but not completely sure.
The Vdub Hub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Export, Standard or Deluxe? Reply with quote

Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to the world of Splits and trying to absorb some of the information in this thread.
I'm pretty clear on the differences between Standard and Deluxe models, but what is the Export model? Is it closer to the Deluxe, assuming it was exported from Germany? Or is it more like the Standard models exported to Canada?
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Export model = deluxe model.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I found another picture in the gallery, it seems to have body coloured wheels:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1301255.jpg

BUT:

At the last weekend, I saw a film from the VW production in 1949. The pastelgreen cars had obvious one-tone rims in a lighter green than L11!
So I will resume and change my point of view:
Perhaps, you could choose betwenn light green and body coloured rims, even in 1949/1950. We have so much photos of both versions.

But I still wonder, that we don't have a contemporary document of this time, that clearly shows the possibilities...

If I have time at the next weekend, I'll post screenshots from this film. You will also find interesting colours for the rims of the standards, as grey cars have dark coloured rims...
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject was closed LONG ago.. Pastel Green Split Sedans NEVER had two tone wheels.. sorry, they were L16 HellGrun (Light Green). It's even in the Glasurit Catalog (Listed as 50-52 Wheel Color). Any two-tone wheels or L11 colored wheels you see on pastel green split sedans are "artistic license" being taken by their owners.

I've owned a world of original paint 16" wheels and the green ones are always single color and L16 Hellgrun.

The previous thread on this http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517154&start=0 is rife with mis-information and dorks posting pictures of their newly restored splits with body color wheels and two-tone wheels and thinking that somehow is proof???

Verts had two-toned wheels.. Sedans never did. Do two-tone wheels look better? In my opinion No... but I'm biased. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

L16 Hellgrun Wheels, painted in Glasurit paint from their formula.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I know this thread.
But there you wrote:

"In the light resto I gave my split I searched for about a year for a source of info and finally found a 1959 Glasurit paint catalog at a automotive paint store in Phoenix that had been around since the 50's... is said, that 1952 Wheels were L16 Hellgrun (Light Green) and it stated in the comments section "1952 Wheel Color ONLY"

With my started thread here, I tried to figure out the right colour before 1951.

Kamax answered your post with:

"thanks for the infos.
So the lighter green wheels would be a 52 thing... so for my 50 the same color L11 pastel green would be ok?"

And this question stayed unanswered till today!
This is my reasen to that thread. Perhaps you can look again at your source and find a definite statement.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico1981 wrote:
Thank you, I know this thread.
But there you wrote:

"In the light resto I gave my split I searched for about a year for a source of info and finally found a 1959 Glasurit paint catalog at a automotive paint store in Phoenix that had been around since the 50's... is said, that 1952 Wheels were L16 Hellgrun (Light Green) and it stated in the comments section "1952 Wheel Color ONLY"

With my started thread here, I tried to figure out the right colour before 1951.

Kamax answered your post with:

"thanks for the infos.
So the lighter green wheels would be a 52 thing... so for my 50 the same color L11 pastel green would be ok?"

And this question stayed unanswered till today!
This is my reasen to that thread. Perhaps you can look again at your source and find a definite statement.

The right color is L16 hellgrun. End of Story. The current RM/Glasurit catalog states "52 Wheel Color" under its UNO line (now defunct and replaced by Limco). In the 1958 Glasurit catalog it was listed as "50-52 Wheel Color". The question is answered.. you can keep asking it and posting pretty pictures of split windows if you want... feel free.

Also, it's poor forum etiquette to start a new thread where one concerning the same subject exists. This thread should have been closed and moderated at the beginning.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The right color is L16 hellgrun. End of Story. The current RM/Glasurit catalog states "52 Wheel Color" under its UNO line (now defunct and replaced by Limco). In the 1958 Glasurit catalog it was listed as "50-52 Wheel Color". The question is answered.. you can keep asking it and posting pretty pictures of split windows if you want... feel free.

Thank you for this definite answer!

And excuse me, that I did not use the existing thread! Anxious Brick wall
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico1981 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you for this definite answer!

And excuse me, that I did not use the existing thread! Anxious Brick wall

Don't worry about this, since this thread is the one in the Split Bug FAQ.

I will add a reference to the older thread here too, since it covers multiple topics and not just wheels.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin strip Reply with quote

For pastel green splits I want to complete:

L 16 hellgrün is correct for L 11 splits at least from 1949 - 1953.

Evidence for 1949 (L11 split in a 1949 factory film):

Please notice: No paint oin Logo on hubcaps, also no paint in ribbed bumper. Black semaphores.

Evidence for 1953:

Picture of L11 and L16 in comparison:

These two colour examples are made from the Glasurit catalogue. As L11 is exactly matching to my original paint areas, I think you can trust the catalogues mixing formular. So this L16 will be correct.

Two tone colour rims for export models seem to be an option, beginning in January 1951.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes. Reply with quote

Then I want to begin the list

rim colour of export beetles between 1949 and end of 1950 (all single colour):

body L11 pastelgreen: rims L16 lightgreen
body L70 medium brown: rims L71 beige (looks more like lightbrown)
body L51 bordeaux red: rims L51 bordeaux red
Doktor Brezel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:

For what it's worth:

I stripped the paint of my January 1951 split and its 16" Kronprinz rims (dated 12/50 and -/51) and this is what i found...

Single color wheels in a lighter shade of brown... (no pinstripe)

So yes, it appears that L70-Medium Brown splits were fitted with L71-Beige rims...

Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes. Reply with quote

Gents,

Continuing on this theme, I have another question about paint.

When did the factory start painting the VW roundel in the hubcaps? I have a November 1949 Pastel Green car that has red painted roundels in the hubcaps. They look to be the original VW caps, but I would appreciate any definitive answer. May I apologise if this topic has already been addressed, but this thread was the closest on the search.

Best regards Rob
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes. Reply with quote

Have a careful look on the picture two posts above. The film was made in the second half of 1949; in the factory, a pastel green car is leaving the line. It has black semaphores, the logo on the hubcap and the groove in the bumper seem not to be painted, at least for my eyes. But it is hard to tell. You clearly see the light green rims.
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes. Reply with quote

Hawker wrote:

When did the factory start painting the VW roundel in the hubcaps? I have a November 1949 Pastel Green car that has red painted roundels in the hubcaps. They look to be the original VW caps, but I would appreciate any definitive answer.

Hubcaps with red VW logo is most likely from a later 1951-52 Sandbeige car.
In 1949, hubcaps and bumpers were not painted. I’m not sure exactly when that started though, but carefully guessing sometime in 1950.
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Correct colour for rims of export model... and pin stripes. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Then I want to begin the list

rim colour of export beetles between 1949 and end of 1950 (all single colour):

body L11 pastelgreen: rims L16 lightgreen
body L51 bordeaux red: rims L51 bordeaux red

Also 1949 black cars had all black wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: