Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color code - handbrake and gearstick
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

Does anyone have the color code/RAL for the Brown color on the handbrake lever and gearstick on a 1950 split?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

Perhaps Nancy colud give us a hint?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193254&start=0

I found that RAL 8025 (L71) seemed to match the best on my 49 deluxe.

On my steering column, under the rubber was a nice area that was unaffected by sun, moisture, etc. so I felt like this was a pretty accurate estimation of the original color.

The really faded beige color you see on a lot of restored cars matches what the rest of the steering column looked like as well as the seat frames, shifter, etc.

This convinced me that the actual L71 color is a much richer, darker color very close to the RAL 8025

I found this color in a rattle can online at LowVolumePowder.com. It's also readily available in powder coat for those of you that do that sort of thing but I don't know how the paint and powder coat colors compare.

Last edited by nlorntson on Sat May 28, 2016 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

Thank you very much Nancy.
Found in the actual thread of correct wheelcolour for bordeaux red splits:

"JT Garwood self published a two volume book called "Volkswagen Beetle car of the Century" decades ago. It was typewritten on a typewriter and spiral bound volumes. It lists every color spec of every year for any part. It also details out chassis number changes as the running detail changes appeared year over year. Want to know the correct color for your e brake boot on your Turkis 61 beetle??? (It's different than 62!) This is where you find it... Want to know the last chassis number for stale air 40 horse... It's in there... Want to know the last chassis number that had a given transmission ratio... color of the pinstripe on your split beetle wheels... Etc etc. it's all there. I bought the set in the 80's. It is THE reference for accurate detail info. Not sure if it's in print anymore... Haven't seen a set in decades. Maybe somebody will chime in that knows."

Perhaps there is also a hint to find, althoug I think Nancy, and the thread she quoted, is a good and right answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

Car of the Century lists it as L71 Beige
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

Just to clearify, it is the Brown color code I am looking for, not the more common Beige color.

Please see pic with original Brown color.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

Yes, I believe that to be originally the L71 beige. Of course heat, the elements and time have changed it from the richer browner color similar to what I found under the rubber of my steering column. RAL 8025 was the closest to what I saw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Yes, I believe that to be originally the L71 beige. Of course heat, the elements and time have changed it from the richer browner color similar to what I found under the rubber of my steering column. RAL 8025 was the closest to what I saw.

Any chance that you could post or email me a picture of a part painted in RAL 8025?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

The wheels are 8025 but in this picture the lighting makes them look much lighter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Car is middle brown.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Color code - handbrake and gearstick Reply with quote

The problem for us european people is that "beige" is a colour, known to look similar as "ivory", so no traces from brown or other colours in it. Very often, Europeans call a pearl white beetle "beige" beetle, when they are not in the VW scene and have a detailed idea. Beige is not far away from ivory, cream or dark white. So it is surprising for a German car builder calling a colour "beige" when it is light brown in reality.

But you can be sure, what Nancy shows and says is right. She has done some studies for her own restoration and what you see on her wheels is the same colour you find on interior parts from many spilts of that time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: