Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition switch cylinder disassembly
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

I posted this in the Oval forum and got no respose, so trying here
I've disassembled my Oval ignition switch. I want to rekey the cylinder. Does anyone know how the cylinder comes apart to get to the tumblers?? Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

The lock cylinder usually has a small screw, roll pin, or circlip holding it together. Later cylinders used a spring clip that can only be released after drilling a small hole in the correct location on the cylinder, allowing a straight pin to be inserted to depress the clip.

If you post up a few clear close-up pics from various ends and angles, we may be able to help figure out how it's assembled.
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Here's a couple of close-ups. I know I could buy one from the classified, but this is the love of a project, right? Smile I bought this from a swap meet. Can I assume it's an SG key?

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

In the second pic it appears there may be a solid pin that's installed through the end of the center section of the lock -- looks like you may be able to drive that out, releasing the plate which limits the rotation travel of the center, which will then allow you to pull the center out the front of the assembly.
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

Thanks. Its obvious now. You are indeed correct. There is a pin that is driven thru the center round section that holds the plate in. The pin was ground down flush and polished so good it wasn't visible initially. Wish me luck. Now I just need to find a key. Anybody have an old cut key they want to sell so I can code this cylinder to it? From what I've read I need any SG key?.... Jeff
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

If you are so inclined, do us all a huge favor and take the time to put together a step by step of the process of disassembly, reworking, and reassembly. It would be a huge help. And it might even make the Stickies.

I got some keys with a parts lot a while back, I'll see if any are SG.
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

Will do. Knocked the pin out and got the cylinder out to get to the "tumblers". If I can get a hold of a cut key, it looks very do-able. I'll post some pics...
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

Any chance you took some more pics? I'm interested to do the same.

Thanks!
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch cylinder disassembly Reply with quote

Sorry... been a while since I've messed with this. I was able to re-key my door locks, ignition and engine compartment locks to the same SG key. I, unfortunately, did not take pictures through the process like I intended. The trick was to have enough tumblers from other lock cylinders to find the right combination for the same key. I was only able to get real close on one of them, and delicately used a grinder to get the tumblers smooth to the cylinder barrel. they all work great... It is not all that difficult with a little trial and error... Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: