Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you pay for a 912e with...
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: What would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

300,000 miles on it Shocked . has a rebuilt motor out of a 914 still f.i. no ac compressor. body is good, no rust issues. interior needs tlc. i'll be checking it out this weekend and will snap some pics.
more info- runs good. it is a driver. everything is there. stock chromies. new brakes. resprayed 7-8 years ago, may need another paint job. 3 owners.

thanks
Cool
70 Squareback
73 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sweat the miles, long as it was cared for. At least you won't be afraid to drive it Wink
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what i'm thinking about driving it. i hopefully will get it for a good price. and only having 3 owners makes me think it was better taken care of instead of 10 owners with less miles. sounds like these are some nice rides to have for drivers. are they four seaters (w/ seatbelts) or just 2?

thanks
Cool
70 Squareback
73 Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original engine in a 912E was from a 914... same engine.

The 912E filled the gap between the end of the 914 and nthe first 924s being delivered.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooldub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i thought it would matter if it was an "matching numbers" type of thing but any type 4 motor is good!!
if the car is "clean", what's the most i should pay? i've seen on the 912 site that a couple of years ago that a poor condition is worth around 4ish but then i see others that "seem" low milage and clean for about 6-7ish. i guess i could always lowball him and go from there.

thanks,
Cool
70 Squareback
73 Thing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matching numbers is always better for value, but many times things are switched around on older cars.

If you're buying it for investment... get matching numbers. If you plan on driving it.. who cares.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOrrrrr ...Better than a 912E - lighter, quicker.
Email me, slightly flexible on price if I can keep the wheels.
link here:
http://www.912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=112629
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

The 912E filled the gap between the end of the 914 and nthe first 924s being delivered.

Uh, sort of.. Same longblock, but real Porsche serial numbers, (up to 2099).
They had AFC injection, L-jetronic, not D-jetronic like the 914's. I think they may have got a few more hp out of it.
BTW, I have a low mile ORIGINAL, mostly complete 912E motor, that I bought back in the 80's to put in my 912 Targa. I'm thinking of putting an original motor back in the Targa now, so this will be for sale..
I want as much as I can get. I'm in Iowa, but might deliver at my convenience.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Dearindeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

Only the fan housing's number matches
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

Can you pass links on the clean, low mileage 912E's for $6-7K on to me? Check here on SAMBA. You'll find $22-24k or a non runner for $12 plus shipping from HI. I passed on a clean one that just need interior and paint a couple years ago - because I thought $12k was too much.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
Glenn wrote:

They had AFC injection, L-jetronic, not D-jetronic like the 914's. I think they may have got a few more hp out of it.
BTW, I have a low mile ORIGINAL, mostly complete 912E motor, that I bought back in the 80's to put in my 912 Targa. I'm thinking of putting an original motor back in the Targa now, so this will be for sale..

How much do you think you will have to pay for a real 912 motor and have you found one yet? You must know that 912e and 914 motors are just VW's as REAL Porsche motors are HEMI's that's why they rev to 8k with full power stock and they are STROKERS stock that's why they have power.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: what would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Can you pass links on the clean, low mileage 912E's for $6-7K on to me? Check here on SAMBA. You'll find $22-24k or a non runner for $12 plus shipping from HI. I passed on a clean one that just need interior and paint a couple years ago - because I thought $12k was too much.

Well, duh, this thread was last active 11 YEARS AGO. A lot has happened in the market regarding many different marques in the last 11 years. I often would see restorable 911's in the classifieds for $3-5k. Things change. There have been many good deals over the years. There are buyers and there are hesitaters. In the 70's I hesitated over a pristine Porsche 4 cam GT coupe because it had a damaged engine. Naysayers talked me into hesitating. That car is probably nearly a million dollars now.
One learns more from his mistakes than from his successes.
Al
Vanagons:
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
69doublecab wrote:
Glenn wrote:

How much do you think you will have to pay for a real 912 motor and have you found one yet? You must know that 912e and 914 motors are just VW's as REAL Porsche motors are HEMI's that's why they rev to 8k with full power stock and they are STROKERS stock that's why they have power.

REAL 912 as in type 616/36 are not hemis nor do they rev to 8000 rpm unless you put a propeller on it and drove it off a cliff.
A real 912 engine has about 105hp and peak power comes in pretty low, like 6000 ish.
How much do I expect to spend? Nothing. I have several candidates on the shelf. And a 2.0 911 engine too, but it's only a 7000 rpm one. I think the only 911 engine that would go 8000 rpm was a Carrera 6.
Don't be so down on the type 4 motor. In Porsche 2 liter form it had Porsche only heads with much bigger valves and when hot rodded for auto cross, bore and stroked to 2.7 liters, the pushrod 4's would beat a 911 engined car on a short circuit.
One could put a similar upgrade onto a 912E motor and have a pretty nice ride. Would it last as long as a 911 3.0 engine? Probably not.
Your mileage may vary.
Al
Vanagons:
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: what would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

Ha didn't realize a thread from 2005 was resurrected! Amazing how investing in Porsche ferrous oxide would have been better investment than gold.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: what would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Ha didn't realize a thread from 2005 was resurrected! Amazing how investing in Porsche ferrous oxide would have been better investment than gold.

Not amazing at all. A blind man could have seen it coming. And it's not the rust. It's the original paint that is valuable.
Gold was always over rated. Buy a 944 Turbo, or a 928. Anybody can see they are glorious, well built cars. The market will come around later. But buy it because you FEEL the quality, the experience. Follow your gut, not your head.
Al
Vanagons:
waxhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: what would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

Don't you love when these old posts come back to life and get everyone confused. Very Happy

Regarding an under-valued Porsche - just don't buy a 914, no matter how many people say they are the next one to rise in value. They are just too damn ugly - I don't care how well they handle!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: what would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

waxhead wrote:
Don't you love when these old posts come back to life and get everyone confused. Very Happy

Regarding an under-valued Porsche - just don't buy a 914, no matter how many people say they are the next one to rise in value. They are just too damn ugly - I don't care how well they handle!

and you own a Thing! Haha.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you pay for a 912e with... Reply with quote

Had a '72 914 - best handling car ever with Bilsteins, anti-sway bars, Fuchs alloys and Michelin XAS radials. Would love to have both '76 914 and 912E in garage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: