Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tangojvg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

How can I get the door open to access the lock mechanism. You have to have the door open to access all the screws. I dry ran the process on the driver side, unplugging the servo, with no luck.

If all the servos can be replaced with the new generation actuators, the repair would be pretty reasonable, but I have to be able to open the door before anyone can work on it.

I have tried disconnecting power and manually pulling up on the lock, but so far, no luck.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

If the roll pin that is the pivot point of the lever on the outer door handle slides out, the lever can get wedged between the handle & the lever on the door latch assembly, when this happens, the mechanism gets jammed so that the lock can't be actuated. Try striking the outer door handle with the ball of your fist or the palm of your hand 2-3 times, then try to lock the door & then unlock it, then try to open it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri May 27, 2016 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

The only real way to gain any access to some of the latch mechanism is to cut the outer door handle off. If you don't have any success getting it to work , I can tell you how to remove it, but you will destroy it.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
tangojvg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas - but the problem is both getting the handle off the door, and with getting the servo to release the locking mechanism. One screw on the edge of the door releases the handle. I've removed power to the whole car and the servo still holds in the lock position. Picking up the button does nothing. I have to be able to somehow open the door in order to access all the screws that hold the door pad in place as most of the screws are either on the front edge or the rear edge of the panel.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

To start at the rear edge of the door handle, measure about 1/4" from the door skin& gasket, carefully cut the handle at a 45* angle toward the door skin with a hack saw or die grinder until you almost make contact with the door skin, you can almost Cut the mounting tab off the handle, you can break it with a twist from a large screw driver. Not for the faint of heart, you can then remove the handle & actuate the lock actuator lever & the lever to open the door. I suspect that the handle has jammed in there or the lock actuator lever has seized due to infrequent use or corrosion.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before you do that, open the back door & see if you can get to the door handle screw that way first.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

& before cutting off the handle, I would even contemplate removing the rear door.

tangojvg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

Thanks again. We are clearly on the same page as I have considered removing the rear door to access the screw. There isn't enough room to go in with just the door open.

I took the drivers side apart yesterday to see what was what. The servo is down more than a foot from the window opening. The rod that runs from the servo up to the door pull/button whatever screws onto the servo. The servo is not moving enough to activate the lock lever and you can't pull up to try to hold it.

This same thing happened a couple of weeks ago and by sheer luck it fixed itself and worked fine until Tuesday. Then, it seemed to be a combination of opening the door window and using the key to raise the window so locking could occur. For some reason, the button stayed up and everything worked normally. I probably locked and unlocked the car a dozen times before it when wrong.

The interior of the car is almost like new. I could just tear into the interior door pad to gain the access I need to access the servo, but I don't choose to destroy an interior that I may never be able to match and fix.

How exactly does the servo work? I understand that it is springs and magnets. Why doesn't cutting power to it release it's hold? Where is the lock lever that it is supposed to activate?

Thanks again for all your time.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

usually when something is jamming like that, it's not the servo. The servo is an afterthought just for the convenience of not having to pull the knob up yourself. I still suspect that your issue is with the latch assembly or most likely the outer door handle.

tangojvg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Passat Power Door Lock does not work on passenger side Reply with quote

Thanks again.

If something is jamming, as you suggest, does it seem reasonable to be able to go down the window opening to pull up on an arm or lever? Jamming is a possibility, as the button attempts to come up, when you key the lock, but then slowly sinks back down. I do have very limited access to the inside of door using the window slot. Now just a matter of what and where to do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: