Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Salem to SD...there's more! Reply with quote

So where was I.......ok.....made it to the Oregon coast at Coos Bay (I believe there is a panoramic photo of there on here - Brandon Bay perhaps) and the car is running like a top, though I am still getting used to "bump steering". I will have to look into some sort of stabilizer for it eventually.

However the coast highway in this part of Oregon is actually very nice. I was surprised every time I did stop for gas when there would be a person who would personally pump my gas for me. It's some legal thing in Oregon I guess. How quaint. Other than just enjoying the cruise and trying to avoid "chain" sorts of eateries I found a few outstanding places in two horse towns - that is not a knock on them - just describing a town with 3 or 4 traffic lights, I loved them! I wished I'd taken pictures of more than just the one restaurant I did photograph, I guess as always hindsight is 20-20.

I did have a minor scare outside one restaurant just north of the California border when I came out an older gentleman was helping his wife out of the car next to me and I am sitting parked on the phone to a friend of mine when he says "your front tire is low". I was thinking "nah, brand new tires...". But my buddy on the phone got me all worried when he says "better check it", I did, it was fine.

So I made my target Crescent City. Ca. that night and I made it. I was beginning to see very tall trees along 101, but I knew these were just the younger cousins of what was ahead. It was a beautiful drive down from Coos Bay. If any of you never have done this, HIGHLY recommended! There were some nice "twisty turnies" that the Ghia (no name has stuck yet - maybe I ought to sponsor a contest, and the person with the winning name get's to paint it or something.......well maybe not ....) handled VERY nicely thank you very much.

I was really enjoying driving the car, and it did want to "go" and I would always have to check my speed to keep it to a max of 55-60. By the way, I have been trying (I quit about a week ago) to post a map of my actual trip, but it seems that right now Google Maps is all jacked up. Perhaps I will post it yet though.
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My third day was spectacular! My second night was not.

I checked into a hotel and of course checked for internet connectivity - they offered it, it was free (as most places did - including the place I had stayed at the night before). It was my intention to be doing this blog as I went, and posting pics - would have been a hellofa lot more chronologically accurate and I'm sure more detailed, but problem number one was the laptop I rented specifically because it had an SD card reader, had a non-functional SD card reader. I did a quick search of the unit's outside case and no where was there a VW logo - what gives, right?

Anyway, four hours later I am still having difficulty connecting to the internet....I'm told it works well everywhere else in the hotel (and I was able to connect in the lobby) and eventually I was moved to a different room where it did work. This was not really optimal as I was planning to do my requisite valve adjustment 1st thing in the morning, and after struggling with the internet and eventually moving rooms it's now well past midnight, and there was no spot for my car directly in front of my new room anymore. I left the car where it was.

I woke up about 6:30 or seven and "enjoyed" the free breakfast (again a picture of the "spread" would have been great) and had a muffin, coffee, and a hard boiled egg and set about to do my valve adjustment. It was heavily overcast and actually spitting rain, which had me a little worried while I was doing it. But I wasn't really complaining about the free food as there was nowhere else to eat within walking distance, and of course I couldn't drive the Ghia yet. So armed with the valve tutorial Derek had given me (car was on a lift then) and my Muir guide I fairly confidently gathered my screwdrivers, and 13 mm wrench and proceeded to pull the valve cover off the passenger side head. I got a little scared when the gasket wanted to stick to the head, but with some careful manipulating the valve cover it all came off nicely and I set to work.

About then there was a gentleman who walked up who was fascinated by Volkswagen's and had owned one as a kid. I did my best while I was focused on the important job at hand to politely engage him in casual VW convo. He hung out about 30 minutes and was not really making what I was doing go any faster - and as a newbie to the job, I was slow anyway. Finished that side #1 intake was fine, made adjustments on other three valves). Moved over the the driver's side and this time I was expecting the gasket to be a little stuck, and I felt a bit of confidence when it didnt come off right away with the valve cover I just worked it carefully and it too came off perfectly in one piece. I must be almost an expert! Hummm....Now I am wondering why can't I fit under this side of the car? Muir says NOT to jack it up (any one know why by the way?).

So I am struggling, fighting trying everything I can think of to get under where I have two hands to do the adjustment. Not happening. One hand is a-ok, two, not so much. So I think, what if I leave the set adjustment screw a little looser and when it invariably moves as I tighten the 13mm set nut, it will by trial and error end up at the right place? Well it WAS what I did - didn't really have a choice - I think I tried for 30 minutes unsuccessfully just to get situated so I had both hands available when I came on this method. This side took me well over an hour, and even though I was cramped and once in a while being lightly rained on I kept thinking "patience, this is not a science project for school". So I persevered to the best of my ability and checked and checked again the gaps...if I erred, it was on the loose side, but it seemed (my method) to work. I guess it is just because I am right handed (though the scientist in me wants to say that is hooey) I was having such a tough time on this side. Ramps are on my "need to get" list. Oh - all four of the valves on this side on numbers 3 & 4 were tight at the respective position of the crankshaft for adjustment.

I showered and set on my way - goal today is Ukiah!
Troublemaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Other meeting Reply with quote

Hey Phil,
Nice meeting you last night.
here's the location of the meeting of that other club.

This week's Meet & Eat will be at Abby's BBQ,
9353 Clairemont Mesa Blvd. Meet at 7 pm

Steve
778-2026
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

Wow just seen Phil has his lovely '62 up for sale in the Classifieds...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1932600

Thought that was a keeper Phil...what happened? Sad
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Wow just seen Phil has his lovely '62 up for sale in the Classifieds...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1932600

Thought that was a keeper Phil...what happened? Sad

Hey John,

What "happened" is I often need to get about the LA & Orange County area for work, and sometimes I'll need to have various pieces of equipment with me, and my beautiful little car just is not made for that type of service.
So I just need something larger.
I KNOW I am going to regret having sold her, probably even before it gets driven out of my sight.
Have to do what you have to do though.
And it IS a keeper....I couldn't have asked for a better more reliable version of vintage VW.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

Yep you're right, I'm afraid as a practical everyday workhorse it's a good classic occasional. Confused

This as the advertising fraternity say is the "Money Shot"...still seems cheap to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Yep you're right, I'm afraid as a practical everyday workhorse it's a good classic occasional. Confused

This as the advertising fraternity say is the "Money Shot"...still seems cheap to me.

Then for YOU, 7801.00 Wink (BPS) Wink
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Then for YOU, 7801.00 Wink (BPS) Wink

Here in cali, That is what we call a 'Hella' good price. Get a roof rack for lugging equipment and keep it.!!!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

Quote:
Here in cali, That is what we call a 'Hella' good price

Concur, that looks like it should sell over the weekend. Nice car, Good Luck.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
Here in cali, That is what we call a 'Hella' good price

Concur, that looks like it should sell over the weekend. Nice car, Good Luck.

Thank you! I sure will miss her.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

Any tickles on the sale Phil?
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Any tickles on the sale Phil?

Actually there HAS been quite a lot of interest and email messages asking questions that were mostly covered in the ad, but I am a patient person.
Thanks for asking John!
I've had several international inquires over the past few days and a number of local people have come by to see her.
However, nobody has shown up with the Brinks truck yet, so for the time being, I still have the pleasure of driving her every day.
It will be difficult to let go, but when the right buyer comes along they will have a great example of a complete Ghia that is ready to drive.

Phil
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

Appears to be for sale again, this time for a couple grand more.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1967629
I guess the "h" on this guy's keyboard got replaced by a "u".

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:

That'll be the WWs. Wink
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

$500/wheel? Heh, even Cokers aren't that expensive! Smile

I'll be curious how quick it sells this time. Took a surprising amount of time last time, for where it was priced at $7800. The paint issues are a lot more evident in this seller's pics, even with half of them being out of focus. (I don't understand why people can't post clear in-focus pics!)

I was interested when Phil was selling it, but being on the other side of the country I asked for up-to-date detailed high-res pics of all the typical trouble areas and never got them. What I got were a handful of tiny thumbnail sized pics of when the car was at HoG. Useless to see anything about the car's current condition. After that I was out.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
$500/wheel? Heh, even Cokers aren't that expensive! Smile

I'll be curious how quick it sells this time. Took a surprising amount of time last time, for where it was priced at $7800. The paint issues are a lot more evident in this seller's pics, even with half of them being out of focus. (I don't understand why people can't post clear in-focus pics!)

I was interested when Phil was selling it, but being on the other side of the country I asked for up-to-date detailed high-res pics of all the typical trouble areas and never got them. What I got were a handful of tiny thumbnail sized pics of when the car was at HoG. Useless to see anything about the car's current condition. After that I was out.

I'm sorry, a whole lot of people were interested in my car to one degree or another, but I don't remember your inquiry Ed....did you make me an offer? Reasonable offers always got great customer service. Being a busy person I was not always able to back up my rust free condition claim with "hi res pics" of specific areas. However even with thumbnail size pictures of the important body work, I did show it was done by a respected and reputable shop. I usually also made mention of the several dozen pictures I have on here (The Samba) for further inspection and verification of it's current condition.

But wOw....."my car" back up for sale with nothing more having been done than new tires at that much more than I was asking Shocked
What a country!!
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

and the thing is the right buyer will come along and grab it...

BTW, enjoyed the read..
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

63 vwnotch wrote:
and the thing is the right buyer will come along and grab it...

BTW, enjoyed the read..

Oh I could go on & on!
(thx!) Laughing
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

That'll be the WWs. Wink

I'll have to check my pictures - but the 009 distro that i had & LOVED in it might have been swapped back to the big cap distributor (which is not bad, but the bosch 009 was nicer) and I gave the big cap with the sale along with the standard replacement valve cover gaskets, clutch cable and so forth
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: