Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

REALLY poor vacuum from my carb
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arick793
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: REALLY poor vacuum from my carb Reply with quote

I'm helping my buddy with his motor, it's a 65 type 3 1500S block with 1641 cylinders. It ran really poorly over about 2500 RPM's, I discovered that the vacuum advance wasn't advancing. When I hooked up my vacuum pump, at about 10 mmhg the advance on the distributor was maxed out. The vac advance also held the vacuum fine, so I knew the assembly was good. I measured the vacuum coming from the vac port on the carburetor, and it was 0 at idle (which I expected), but with throttle it would only go up to about 3, and then go right back to zero. Any ideas why I'm getting almost no vacuum from the carb? I sprayed carb cleaner in the port with no improvement. This motor ran fine last year. It is running a pair of 32 PDSIT's with the original vac advance distributor. thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: REALLY poor vacuum from my carb Reply with quote

which carbs (engraved VW number) and which distributor are you using?
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: REALLY poor vacuum from my carb Reply with quote

I had this same issue using stock 32pdsits and ZV JCU 4R3 distributor on my notch. below is the thread i started and what i discovered about the way the vacuum port is designed. I was unable to get it to work in its stock configuration. What i did was take the venturi out and block the upper hole behind the venturi and reassembled the carb. this has worked for many miles for me.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=435709

i had already blown it out thinking the same thing and still nothing. eric yeah that is what i was thinking is i should see something while reving, i just wasnt 100% sure. one of the above posters mentioned the port being right above the throttle plate. now on these carbs i know for 100% certainty that the passage for the port is very high up in the venturi. there is a fairly large(not huge) factory hole in the vent that matches up with a tiny hole in the carb body that goes out to the hose connection. i have a spare set of carbs that i am going to disassemble and see if there is another passage connected to that one going down to the throtle plate also. if so maybe i missed this when i cleaned them an it is blocked. it just seems odd that it would use 2 different sources for vacuum one high and one low, but who knows. thanks for the help so far.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: