Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Cable Pulley Thoughts
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Clutch Cable Pulley Thoughts Reply with quote

On the rail buggy Im building I attempting to use a pulley rather than a Bowden tube to achieve the correct clutch cable angle. Ive got a good idea on how to achieve it. No sweat, but its quite an ugly setup. Would someone please advise me on where to see some cleaner- better executed similar setups?? Maybe a link or two..thanks in advance.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH CABLE PULLEY THOUGHTS Reply with quote

Not only does bowden tube create correct angle it also reduces clutch chatter when releasing clutch.... Think you will not be happy with pulley and bowden tube will be better concept...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH CABLE PULLEY THOUGHTS Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the input Dale. With the current cable set up I have Id like to try and use the pulley. Try at least..If it works to get me down the road for a test run thatd be great. If not ill take another route.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH CABLE PULLEY THOUGHTS Reply with quote

if it's temporary to test drive the rig, just use some metal tubing I don't think it needs to be complicated.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CLUTCH CABLE PULLEY THOUGHTS Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Not only does bowden tube create correct angle it also reduces clutch chatter when releasing clutch.... Think you will not be happy with pulley and bowden tube will be better concept...

Dale

I would agree with Dale on using the bowden tube. Clutch chatter can be an issue without the tube. You would probably be ok without the tube if the transmission is solid mounted though. But yeah, for anything not solid mounted, keep the bowden tube.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Pulley Thoughts Reply with quote

The Bowden tube is necessary because it provides a flexible "constant" spacer. Without it, any movement or twist of the transmission in the mounts translates into a lengthening or shortening of the cable which will cause a varying friction point. This is what causes the "chattering", as you engage the clutch, the transmission moves ever so slightly (or more in some cases), & engages & releases the clutch multiple times as the transmission bounces while you're trying to engage it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Pulley Thoughts Reply with quote

Read you loud and clear guys. I took a look at how the Bowden tube goes through the body on my beetle...no sheet metal on the rail in that
area to attach it properly. How have you guys conquered this problem?
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Pulley Thoughts Reply with quote

I am running pulley system on my rail for both my clutch and throttle cable and it works just fine with no clutch chatter.

It looks kind of cheezy but hey it works!

Won't be able to get pictures for a couple of days though.
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Pulley Thoughts Reply with quote

Solid motor/tranny mounts. Everybody I know is using hydraulic clutch.
greggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Cable Pulley Thoughts Reply with quote

*update*
I installed the Bowden tube and low and behold-it seemed to pretty much do the trick. It doesn't really have the correct angle so ill have to work on that.
Still REALLY doesn't want to go into gear. I spent plenty of time taking apart and adjusting the linkages last night to no avail. An old air cooled nut gave me some suggestions-maybe the bearing behind the gland nut too. Anyway, thanks for all the responses. Back on it this evening.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: