Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

When I have the buggy turned off I can shift into 1st and if I try to push it it is in gear. Just when I have it started up and can't get it into gear...Not quite sure what you are talking about with the splines? are you thinking that they could be all stripped out?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

I didn't quite understand your last post, so I was trying to clarify it. (disregard the splines) So now we know it goes into gear with the engine off. With the engine running, does it grind or make other noise when trying to put it into 1st? Have you tried to shift it into other gears? If so is it the same as 1st gear? Measure, don't eyeball the clutch pedal, and see how much it moves before it starts to get harder to push.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Seems like it is going into all the gears when it is off, when it;s running it just won't get into gear. I had a friend manually push the clutch on the trans and it still didn't disengage. He pushed it all the way, all the travel that lever has.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

When you pulled the engine, did you pull the clutch pressure plate off of the flywheel? Just guessing here, but maybe the disc is rusted to the flywheel and / or there is a problem with the pressure plate.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

I had the same thought as you, there was a little bit of stuff between them, but not much. I cleaned it up but alas nothing changed.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Your friend must be pretty strong to move the clutch lever all the way by hand.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Did your friend stick a screwdriver in the clutch arm for leverage to move it? He would have to be the hulk to move the arm enough by hand to disengage the clutch.
My builds
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

We put a pipe on it to get a little leverage.
Just confuses me that I can get it in gear when it just sitting...
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Seems like I recently commented on a thread like this. But here's some ideas that no one has mentioned yet. It's possible that the throwout bearing and the clutch pressure plate are not a matching set. There is a pressure plate that has a ring around the fingers and this one is meant to be used with a certain throughout bearing. Conversely there is also a pressure plate without a ring and a matching throw out bearing for that. Using things that don't go together will cause all kinds of headaches and problems. I would check and make sure that these things are all matching do some research and find out what throwout bearing goes with the pressure plate that you have. I don't remember hearing you mention what type of trans you have but it's also possible that the throw on the clutch lever is not adequate and making contact with the pressure plate. This can also be a problem when using mismatch bearings and pressure plates. I believe someone was alluding to this earlier when they were asking you how far down you push the pedal before you feel resistance. If you're pushing down on the pedal and you have the clutch cable adjusted all the way in as far as you can and you're not feeling a resistance as in a springy resistance then you throw out bearing most likely isn't contacting the fingers on the pressure plate. With these problems your symptoms of shifting when off but not when the engine running is possible because of the forces that are going on with everything spinning. It won't let things engage because your transmission is spinning. Good luck I hope you figure out what it is that's causing the problem. Unfortunately you're most likely going to have to take things apart several times before you figure it out. When you look at parts no things like fingers that are bent different directions or where patterns that seem heavy or rough. Or no wear at all.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

That's it! Pulled it apart and it seems it has the old style throw out bearing paired with a new style pressure plate. Went to my local VW shop and they said they can get me the parts tomorrow, so if all goes as planned it should be running tomorrow night.
Thank you guys for the help.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

DerpyMonkey wrote:
That's it! Pulled it apart and it seems it has the old style throw out bearing paired with a new style pressure plate. Went to my local VW shop and they said they can get me the parts tomorrow, so if all goes as planned it should be running tomorrow night.
Thank you guys for the help.

Yep. Didn't get to this thread in time (thought it was a repeat of another one)

But yeah, seems to be a common issue, I had a new style throw our bearing with an old style pressure plate on mine, couldn't even get the engine on before I came here and got some advice.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Okay I got the parts today, everything went together perfect. She started right up and seems to shift and drive pretty good.

Next step is probably going to be getting the windshield/wipers sorted out.
I am thinking that I can just get the glass cut then get some of the rubber seal. From what I have seen you can just do that then put a couple screws in it. If anyone has a better idea let me know.

I have all the lights I need so now I just need to hook those up.
Also need to hook up my oil cooler.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

your welcome Cool
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Acme sells a moulding that holds the glass inside the tubes. Look them up or search for the thread that talks about it. Acme is the company that sells the Berrien.
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
Acme sells a moulding that holds the glass inside the tubes. Look them up or search for the thread that talks about it. Acme is the company that sells the Berrien.

Do you have any links to people installing using that rubber? I have seen things here and there about it, but never found a thread about installing it...
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

how it works is you take some cardboard and shape it to fit inside the window opening leaving a gap all the way around (I think it's 1/8"). The gap is for the seal. then I would transfer that to a piece of finished plywood. This wood will be your backup you can keep if you ever need to replace your windshield again. Take the wood cutout to a place that is willing to cut a windshield for you. This may take some searching since most big glass installers just want quick and easy jobs and aren't interested in custom one-off jobs where they might have to pull their brain out of their ass and think for a second. Anyway, in my case they had to send for the glass. I ended up ordering a piece that had a tinted top that they cut the windshield out of with my template. Then when they called me when it was ready I brought my buggy in there and they installed it in an afternoon while I was at work. I brought it to them instead of having them come out because I wanted to make it as easy as I could for them since they were basically doing me a favor by doing a custom windshield. They could also charge me less. Cost me about $150 for everything I think. Anyway, you give them the seal and if they know windshields they will know what to do with it. It basically has a profile that the glass fits in and on the other side is a profile to fit against your 1.5" tubing. They pop the windshield and the gasket into the opening and that's it. I think my guys used a little window adhesive/caulk whatever they call it just to ensure it would stick in there well. These gaskets make the best fit and finish you will ever get. I've seen a lot of guys who insist on welding in a flange and then screwing in plexiglass or gluing in glass and it ends up looking hacked.

First thing I would do is order the gasket. Having the gasket 'in hand' when you go to the glass company will make it a whole lot easier for you to convince them to do it. Start with the smaller local businesses. I'll try to find you a link to that seal a second........
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

http://acmecarco.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=3251
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

I ended up just going with a flange to hold it in, wasn't sure that gasket would work with a thicker frame. Plus it's what my shop recommended, any frankly it turned out good enough.

So I have it almost all wired up, but the turn signal are confusing me.
I bought LED turn signals, One of those generic 7 wire turn signals switch and a CEC led 3 prong relay.
I just can't get it figured out. I can get the turn signals to blind, but it ends up blinking the little light on the switches constantly.
Otherwise if I wire it a different way it just lights them dimly and doesn't blink.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

You need a four prong relay to use LED's with a seven wire turn signal switch.

I had the exact same problem. Decided to keep the relay and wire separate indicator lights on the dash (powered by the wires running to each light rather than using the light in the switch assembly.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
DerpyMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No clue what I got into Sandrail adventure. Reply with quote

Well that's great, wishing I was forgetting something simple. Now I need to buy another one.
There is no way to get it to work? Like a way to bypass that light somehow...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: