Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

And now I have an entire new appreciation for what goes on in this thread!
Method- Easy off oven cleaner... when layer bubbles, straight razor scrape and repeat. When last layer is revealed, wash down and switch to 0000 steel wool then elbow grease down to dove blue. This area took one can of the cleaner. I was bold and started out front and center! If this area didn't come out nice... the rest would've been pointless to me. To each his own.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

thats cleaning up nice. the heavy duty EZ Off oven cleaner works better that the regular stuff. also try using a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the panel up in small sections, that helps tremendously. keep it up!
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombinauta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Hi
This site is great, thank you all for your contributions.

This is my first post and I am looking for advice on OG paint to the engine compartment as well as the rest of the car.

I would like to restore the OG paint wherever possible on the car and touch up spots with dulled/mixed paint.

Regarding engine compartment, there is quite a bit of surface rust to the RHS. Do I use rust remover to remove as much of this as possible? Do I then sand down or simply seal, or paint? Whatever I do I guess I have to neutralise that rust...

I have not had much luck restoring OG paint from the vehicle. I think I need more elbow grease... and have visited hardware shops today to buy as many products as I can. I am in a remote location and that means that products such as Easyoff and graffiti remover, acetone do not seem to available. Paint remover is, and sandpaper and scotch brite equivalent so tomorrow i'll arm myself with those and a big bucket of water, as suggested on this forum.

Am I right in thinking it will be a real pity to not give it my best shot in restoring OG paint? Other option would be to paint new...

Your advise and tips are much appreciated. I am doing this as best as I can and wish to give the bus the respect it deserves.

Last edited by kombinauta on Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

so I was reading through this forum, has anyone had any experience with removing actual Spray paint? there is a bus i was thinking about buying that just has a bunch of spray paint on it. will this be much faster to remove than actual paint? I know it was said that with removing paint it could take a few weekends, but could i get pray paint removed in a day with a couple friends? or would it be a few weekends like other paint? thanks.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

gingergypsy wrote:
so I was reading through this forum, has anyone had any experience with removing actual Spray paint? there is a bus i was thinking about buying that just has a bunch of spray paint on it. will this be much faster to remove than actual paint? I know it was said that with removing paint it could take a few weekends, but could i get pray paint removed in a day with a couple friends? or would it be a few weekends like other paint? thanks.

Yes, it's probably easier as it's usually lower quality paint.

But it really depends more on how it was applied.
If they cleaned the surface really well and so on.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
gingergypsy wrote:

Yes, it's probably easier as it's usually lower quality paint.

But it really depends more on how it was applied.
If they cleaned the surface really well and so on.

I would also add.. there is no exact science. Putting a timeframe on the process... such as a day and two friends would likely lead to pressing the issue and losing original paint. It really is to each his own and what works for the individual vehicle based on time, effort and paint types. There are far too many variables to label a one and done technique.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Keep on keepin on...

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

busbarn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

First time trying to remove old paint. Do you think I should polish or wax it? Some parts I will have to try to blend the paint.

hoandtina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

put this on for 5 minutes and just wiped off

I mean it's probably going to look terrible when done, but it's trial and error.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I am trying to remove the paint on my double cab. I have done one test section and it is pretty rough. The truck looks like it was extensively body worked before it was last painted. They sanded down all the high spots to bare metal and used filler to fill in the low spots. Take a look. I was really excited to strip the paint down on this as it might be the only known double cab in the Postal Yellow color. It does still have the M code plate it started out as a postal yellow color per the m code and all other evidence.

Do you think I should keep going? I am not sure how much original paint is left as it appears it was sanded and body worked pretty seriously. It has original paint, then a quick repaint in the original yellow, then primer and red, then black primer and a grey base coat. It is a lot of coats and the top two were professionally down so they do not come off easily. It also has skim costs of bondo to even out the low spots.

Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

..Do you think I should keep going?

I can fully understand your a bit disappointed. My front and doors turned out to be sanded with 80 grit, while they left the rest untouched.

I think if you strip some more panels and you see the postal yellow appearing, you get more excited, despite the sanded/filled spots.
What technique do you use to get the paint off btw?
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I would take a magnet and see how much bondo there is around the truck to help determine the likelyhood of how much OG paint remains I think you should keep going. you obviously found a pretty decent method for removing the paint. maybe try something more aggresive to keep motivated
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

volksheime wrote:
I would take a magnet and see how much bondo there is around the truck to help determine the likelyhood of how much OG paint remains I think you should keep going. you obviously found a pretty decent method for removing the paint. maybe try something more aggresive to keep motivated

I had a little more free time and stripped some more paint off last weekend. I am using citrus strip and a razor blade scraper from Home Depot.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

FWIW, after trying a few known methods, the really simple rag soaked with acetone applied to the repainted surface & wiped off worked really well on my Bus.

& the acetone doesn't affect the original paint.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Getting there... just Gotta blend fenders and repairs when I'm done.

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
odecom5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

After too many hours of work, but it's nice to see some progress.

The bottom half will be fixed and repainted at some point, but instead of driving around with a bondo mess (it was in a wreck on the left rear), i'll peel it back and paint it later.

Some of it comes of like a knife through butter, and some of it no amount of scrubbing and respraying and scrubbing again will take it off. Wonder why.

Using Lift-Off to remove the primer, and Oven Cleaner seems to work best for the old blue paint.
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Started with this

Now at this point:

Using this:

Spray on, wait to bubble, scrape off with FRESH razor blade. Spray on again, wipe off remainder with red scotch-brite pad. Rinse.

Any tips on touching up the bare-spots?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hummer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

So my bus is covered in a thick layer of rattle canned primer. Have dabbled with using Motsenbockers graffiti remover and it actually is working great.

However, the primer is on there so frigging thick that it is taking forever and making a huge mess. Can I knock down the thickness with a sander and then use the chemical to remove a thinner layer?

If so, what recommendations? Grit? I want it to be aggressive enough to remove material and not get gummed up, but not so aggressive as to go right through the primer and into the paint.

Sucks because the thickness varies so much.
Peter_N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Hummer wrote:
So my bus is covered in a thick layer of rattle canned primer. Have dabbled with using Motsenbockers graffiti remover and it actually is working great.

However, the primer is on there so frigging thick that it is taking forever and making a huge mess. Can I knock down the thickness with a sander and then use the chemical to remove a thinner layer?

If so, what recommendations? Grit? I want it to be aggressive enough to remove material and not get gummed up, but not so aggressive as to go right through the primer and into the paint.

Sucks because the thickness varies so much.

I checked out the pictures in your galley. You have got some work ahead of you Laughing
But I think the final result can be very satisfying!
Can't advise you really on the grit (maybe start with medium grid and take coarse grid if it takes too long).
In my experience sanding the primer a bit to rough it up makes the paint remover bite much better and deeper on the first try.
Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 53

Jump to: