Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Pop Top for Eurovan?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
Related to this, and probably a oft-repeated question (sorry!.. I haven't been able to find the answer here yet): does anyone make a DIY Weekender-like conversion pop-top that A) is available in the U.S. (even if shipped from abroad) and B) doesn't require onsite installation by the manufacturer.

i.e. something that an ace like Xtremjeepn could use to convert an tin-top into a pop-top, without having to have a Weekender "donor vehicle":
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625089

These guys claim to have just reproduced the pop-top for Eurovan -- and the price is really within reach. I haven't seen it in person, but I was promised some pictures a while back.

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/rvs/5531980447.html
formerknuckledragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Question for those who have personally done a pop top conversion or replacement (of the top itself) - how hard is it to do? Is it something that needs to be done at a specialized vendor, or is it relatively straightforward (as in, nothing more than a screwdriver/wrench and a strong friend or two required).

I ask because our newly-acquired EVC may not fit in our garage (silly earthquake retrofit), and the Westfalia top is 3-4 inches shorter than the Winnebago version.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Itsamoto wrote:
IdeaNerd wrote:
Related to this, and probably a oft-repeated question (sorry!.. I haven't been able to find the answer here yet): does anyone make a DIY Weekender-like conversion pop-top that A) is available in the U.S. (even if shipped from abroad) and B) doesn't require onsite installation by the manufacturer.

i.e. something that an ace like Xtremjeepn could use to convert an tin-top into a pop-top, without having to have a Weekender "donor vehicle":
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=625089

These guys claim to have just reproduced the pop-top for Eurovan -- and the price is really within reach. I haven't seen it in person, but I was promised some pictures a while back.

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/rvs/5531980447.html

Short version: RUN AWAY!!!!!

Longer but edited for public consumption version:

I've emailed that guy hoping there was a North American source for top conversion parts other than donor vans.

I asked a few questions. I asked if they were just making a top or if they had all the associate parts. They told me they only make the physics top. Not the structural frame work, hinges, interior trim, top tent, latches or anything else. They said they could get all the associated parts for about $6k

Which, I thought was ironic since their ad states that they were tired of getting quotes of $6k+ for top conversions so they "made their own.......that would cost you $6k for the parts........that they don't seem to actually have Laughing

I asked why all the pictures were of factory Westfalia tops, T5s, and had different tents and/or different hinges...and not the top they claim to produce ...........I've never been called so many creative and childish names(None of his emails could be posted to a public forum. You would have though I asked for a 8mile style rap battle) Shocked VERY VERY VERY unprofessional *child* has posted that ad. It's a shame.

It was clear from our breif conversation that they don't offer a complete top package and I'd never trust doing business with them. *IF* they actually produced a top. I never saw a picture of it.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

formerknuckledragger wrote:
Question for those who have personally done a pop top conversion or replacement (of the top itself) - how hard is it to do? Is it something that needs to be done at a specialized vendor, or is it relatively straightforward (as in, nothing more than a screwdriver/wrench and a strong friend or two required).

I ask because our newly-acquired EVC may not fit in our garage (silly earthquake retrofit), and the Westfalia top is 3-4 inches shorter than the Winnebago version.

The Winnebago is built on the long wheelbase VW T4. The Westfalia is built on the short wheelbase VW T4 (Eurovan). They are about 18ish inches different in length.

The Winnebago bed sits stacked at th back and the Westfalia is stretched out flat.

It would take some custom work to make a shorter in height but longer in length top for a Winnebago Camper. (Which I intend to do once I have a EVC of my own to play with)
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

The Winnebago bed sits stacked at th back and the Westfalia is stretched out flat.

actually the bed has to lay flat in the full camper for the top to lay down too. If the pads are stacked it creates too much height and the top won't lock down properly. You can force it at that point, but it bends the top something fierce. Pretty sure that's what went on with the rear of the poptop of that blue/gray van you've seen at my shop.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:

actually the bed has to lay flat in the full camper for the top to lay down too. If the pads are stacked it creates too much height and the top won't lock down properly. You can force it at that point, but it bends the top something fierce. Pretty sure that's what went on with the rear of the poptop of that blue/gray van you've seen at my shop.

That probably explains the ones I've looked in Shocked Laughing
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

I camped quite a bit in a T2 camper as kid. Seems like we left the sleeping bags up there when we pulled the top down -- i.e. there was some clearance between the inside of the top and the cushions. Does that sound right?

My current impression of our Weekender upper bed is that there isn't enough room between the cushion and the top to leave sleeping bags up there without putting similar pressures on the top / hinges, as the inside of the top is so close to the cushions. Do you guys concur with that?

Related to that: I find myself wondering if the board cushions could be modified to lower just a bit. I really like the lower-profile Weekender top vs. the EVC-style top. Probably a crazy idea, but did occur to me the other day when took ours camping.

Would love to know more about the differences between the different pop-tops in regards to these kinds of things (cushion placement, space, etc.).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
formerknuckledragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

The Winnebago is built on the long wheelbase VW T4. The Westfalia is built on the short wheelbase VW T4 (Eurovan). They are about 18ish inches different in length.

Yep, and it's a pretty significant 18 inches - feels like driving a boat. So all things considered, would this thing (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7846641-Bnib-winnebago-lwb-eurovan-t4-poptop-in-Norcal) swap in easily in place of the Winnebago pop top, or would it take metalwork to make it fit?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

formerknuckledragger wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:

Yep, and it's a pretty significant 18 inches - feels like driving a boat. So all things considered, would this thing (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7846641-Bnib-winnebago-lwb-eurovan-t4-poptop-in-Norcal) swap in easily in place of the Winnebago pop top, or would it take metalwork to make it fit?

Hard to tell without trying it.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

I'm sure the brackets and such would need to be hacked in to some degree (probalby need the brackets from an MV as the EVC brackets stand pretty tall when compressed)... but the dimensions of the top itself should work if it's built for a lwb t4. The cutout in the Eurovan Full Camper is factory, so no more cutting would be needed on that end...

you would have to figure out what to do with the exposed 'roof' section over the driver's cab that you'd gain from adding the single-piece top with no luggage rack. I think some creative plywooding and pads would be fine there...

and you'll also have to work a lock mechanism -- the MV locks are basically hood latches from jettas I think.. the locks for the Eurovan are custom winnebago parts and both latch in completely different parts of the van (EVC on the front of the cutout, MV further up by the rearview mirror)

My take: i'd be wary of spending 5k on something I'd have to further fabricate quite a few solutions on unless I absolutely needed it as a replacement... that's a lot of coin that could easily make the rig more functional in other areas like suspension, flooring, awnings, brakes, wheels, solar arrays, etc. all just to save a few inches of height on the top while not really gaining much functionality.

*edit - that said, I would love a cost-effective solution to replacing the EVC top with another EVC top and would prefer it to be lower profile and delete the otherwise useless cargo box up top with additional tent space...

Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
I'm sure the brackets and such would need to be hacked in to some degree (probalby need the brackets from an MV as the EVC brackets stand pretty tall when compressed)... but the dimensions of the top itself should work if it's built for a lwb t4. The cutout in the Eurovan Full Camper is factory, so no more cutting would be needed on that end...

you would have to figure out what to do with the exposed 'roof' section over the driver's cab that you'd gain from adding the single-piece top with no luggage rack. I think some creative plywooding and pads would be fine there...

and you'll also have to work a lock mechanism -- the MV locks are basically hood latches from jettas I think.. the locks for the Eurovan are custom winnebago parts and both latch in completely different parts of the van (EVC on the front of the cutout, MV further up by the rearview mirror)

The hole is "factory Winnebago" not "factory VW" or "Factory Westfalia" and the aftermarket top may require its own custom length hole. Not sure if it's longer or shorter.

From the pictures I've seen of the short wheelbase version of that top it violates some of he structural specs VW had in its upfitter guides. Which may be cured by mixing and matching the Winnebago parts in there.

The real questions would be of the framework, hinges, and cushion heights are compatible.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

having had one apart and thinking about it now, I think that winnebago was ordering these with holes already in the roof somehow. the sides and rear are all formed, stamped and look factory with clean gutters, etc.. def different from the roof of a 'tin top' which I assumed they had hacked up before

As for sizing, the MV and the EVC are nearly identical width-wise -- in fact, the two bed boards are compatable. I've put a weekender bed board in an EVC we used to have and unfortunately lost the far-superior bed board when it was wrecked by that drunk. Sad the MV was a bit longer than the EVC board but it worked.

the one thing that it looks like winnebago did hack out was at the front of the 'hole' above the cab, where they clearly cut sheet metal then tacked in their own brackets and covered it all with the plastic trim -- which pretty much refutes the rest of my theory because the MV 'hole' goes much further forward above the driver's head in the SWB... maybe that's not so in the LWB camper from Westy -- I have no idea, never seen one...

or maybe the basic work panel van was simply offered with a roof that was 'cutable' for whatever you needed it for?

then again, winnebago wasn't offering the standard panel van either.. they at least ordered them over with carpet, power windows, headliners, etc instead of the basic model.

oh VW. you're a conundrum wrapped in an enigma stuffed in a mystery topped with riddles. And bacon. okay... now I'm hungry.

Cole, swing by the shop this weekend if you've got time. would love to catch up

dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
having had one apart and thinking about it now, I think that winnebago was ordering these with holes already in the roof somehow. the sides and rear are all formed, stamped and look factory with clean gutters, etc.. def different from the roof of a 'tin top' which I assumed they had hacked up before

As for sizing, the MV and the EVC are nearly identical width-wise -- in fact, the two bed boards are compatable. I've put a weekender bed board in an EVC we used to have and unfortunately lost the far-superior bed board when it was wrecked by that drunk. :( the MV was a bit longer than the EVC board but it worked.

the one thing that it looks like winnebago did hack out was at the front of the 'hole' above the cab, where they clearly cut sheet metal then tacked in their own brackets and covered it all with the plastic trim -- which pretty much refutes the rest of my theory because the MV 'hole' goes much further forward above the driver's head in the SWB... maybe that's not so in the LWB camper from Westy -- I have no idea, never seen one...

or maybe the basic work panel van was simply offered with a roof that was 'cutable' for whatever you needed it for?

then again, winnebago wasn't offering the standard panel van either.. they at least ordered them over with carpet, power windows, headliners, etc instead of the basic model.

oh VW. you're a conundrum wrapped in an enigma stuffed in a mystery topped with riddles. And bacon. okay... now I'm hungry.

Cole, swing by the shop this weekend if you've got time. would love to catch up

Has anyone here ever asked Winnie if they'd produce a new top - or have the molds for theirs? Maybe it's something JCharlton would take up in a fiberglass version. I have a contact at the Winnebago if you guys want me to ask. Nice guy. Digs the EVC's.
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Looks like it is time to revive this thread.

After storing my van in Las Vegas over the fall months we picked it up for a short Christmas trip to southern Arizona.

Not sure when it happened but one morning woke up to find a nice neat crack right across the back to the pop top.

Matter of fact the crack was so neat and tidy i thought it was a factory seam that had come apart. After a few days of camping and travelling i noticed the gap getting wider. So it appears that it is definitely a crack. Can't say exactly what cause it, could have been the high desert heat but a few days prior to that I installed a new 100 lb gas struct on the passenger side. so who knows

at any rate I,ve been doing a lot of research on replace and/or repair and there aren't really a lot of options out there.

Winnie wants $4600 + s/h for a replacement which given how poorly designed they are i don't think i'd go for. Other custom camper pop top location do great work but i cant justify the expenses on an older EVC.

Plastic welding looks pretty messy and easy to f&*# up if you are not a pro and risk melting a hole in your roof.

Apparently fiberglass doesn't work either because it doesn't stay bonded to the parent material.

These roofs of these are made of "Luran S" which is a fancy polymer (asa).

according to them the best way of mending a crack is a cold weld epoxy compound. (plexus MA13)

i 've contact few boat repair places in Phoenix, where the van is currently stored, to see if they will tackle the job. More as a short term solution until i can get my beast back to Canada and maybe do a roof replacement.
If anybody has a better ideas i'd love to hear them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Here you go:

There are at least three Reimo dealers here in the US.

If I were to add a new top to my EV, I think I'd opt for a hightop.

Both are LWB

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

You need a backing piece and a MEK based glue to fix that, EZPZ.

That's a styrene based polymer used in body panels so scour the webs for the kit car guys to find the latest product of choice.
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

nice pics of the Reimo tops , but i've yet to find anyone in North America that will put this on a Eurovan.

everything seems to be from Europe.

Any contacts?

Thanks
ovsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Anybody have any links to removing and dissembling (if possible) the roof to the EVC?

Can seem to find anything

Thanks
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

I believe there's a Reimo dealer in Canada by the name of Bjorn's. They actually advertise on the Samba. I'm pretty sure any Reimo dealer will sell you the top you need and/or install it for you. Reimo tops will definitely be superior to Winnebago. Probably not cheap, though.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
cwparrott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Good morning. I'm new to this forum
And I am in the process of attempting a repair on my 1995 EVC pop top. I'm going to uses 3M semi rigid plastic repair 04240 with reinforcing patch 4904 on the back side of the repair. Then will uses 3M Ez Sand multi purpose repair 05887 on the top side then paint the top.

My original plan was to remove the liner but it was to well glued to the edges and foam cor. There is a steel frame that runs the parimeter of the top that also has serious adhesive tape holding the liner I place. Attaching some pictures and I'll update if I am successful.

I'm not sure why so may people think this too is bad. It looks almost new after 20 years of never being in a garage. I have just under 300,000 miles on the van and the top had gone up and down countless times. For me if this repair only last a year or so I'll def other a new one from Winn. They make them to order as I know it's $4600 which is a lot but. I think it's a quality product. Just my 2¢

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: