Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What year Porsche??
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

Hey Guys, I was wondering what year Porsche 944 I would be able to get the rear arms off of? I found a 1986 non-turbo car locally that I could possibly get them from, if its the correct year that is... LOL! Plus, what else off of that car would I be able to use???

Thanks in advance guys!!!

'60's Spatz Buggy body on '74 Chassis (Budget Build)
'69 Bug (Baja-to-be partial daily)
'10 Silverado (My daily)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

All I'm really interested in is the stub axles... unless these are a bolt in affair... That way I'll get the use of the arms, rear brakes, and all...

'10 Silverado (My daily)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

924 and 944 trailing arms all bolt up to an IRS chassis. IIRC, there is no difference at all in the early 924 training arms. The later turbo cars have cast aluminum TA's and a complex disk/drum emergency brake set up.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=140789
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:
924 and 944 trailing arms all bolt up to an IRS chassis. IIRC, there is no difference at all in the early 924 training arms. The later turbo cars have cast aluminum TA's and a complex disk/drum emergency brake set up.

Correct in that they will all 'bolt up'. The early 924 steel arms are supposedly 'better' as they were 'supposedly' seam welded. The 944 alloy arms are anywhere from ~25mm to ~ 75mm wider per side, and you will need to switch to 100mm CV axles & output flanges on the trans (Thing or EMPI aftermarket).

The later cast aluminum trailing arms are wider than the steel units - as shown by the 944 Turbo trailing arms on my chassis. Thing output stubs on trans, running Bus 100mm CV axles & 944 alloy training arms for wider track. Later alloy arms as I have use a 'drum brake inside the rotor hat' for parking brake - not really that complex. Adapter clips are available to make these parking brakes work with standard VW T1 parking brake cables & handbrake assy. http://vdubengineering.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bnc
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

Ok, humor me. This seems to be a popular conversion. Having never done it, what's the advantage other than being able to use Porsche disc brakes? Aren't there other quality brake kits that could be adapted?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

I'm doing in for the larger cvs for more travel... I don't care about the disc brakes. The Porsche brakes are more expensive anyway...

'10 Silverado (My daily)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

Increased track width in rear, disc brakes - I have less money invested in my complete with brake calipers/rotors/backing plates/axles 944 Turbo trailing arm setup than I would have spent in buying a rear disc brake kit with 5x130 stud pattern.

bryan
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
HeidelbergJohn4.0 wrote:

Correct in that they will all 'bolt up'. The early 924 steel arms are supposedly 'better' as they were 'supposedly' seam welded. The 944 alloy arms are anywhere from ~25mm to ~ 75mm wider per side, and you will need to switch to 100mm CV axles & output flanges on the trans (Thing or EMPI aftermarket).

The later cast aluminum trailing arms are wider than the steel units - as shown by the 944 Turbo trailing arms on my chassis. Thing output stubs on trans, running Bus 100mm CV axles & 944 alloy training arms for wider track. Later alloy arms as I have use a 'drum brake inside the rotor hat' for parking brake - not really that complex. Adapter clips are available to make these parking brakes work with standard VW T1 parking brake cables & handbrake assy. http://vdubengineering.com/

bnc

Looks great! Do you remember what year 944 you used to get your parts from? As I mentioned, the one I can get parts from is an 86... idk what he's got left of it. I forgot to call him back yesterday...

'10 Silverado (My daily)
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

I'd have to check the part numbers later this week, but I recall that parts were from '86 944 Turbo chassis. There are early & late alloy trailing arms; mine have bump stop divots in the arm castings.

bryan
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

This car was a non turbo. Idk I'd that matters. He's sending me pics of what he has left. I hope it's what I can use!

'10 Silverado (My daily)
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

They all can be used. It's really what comes along with them that makes the difference. The cv's, axles, brakes, etc. There's always a couple sets of complete arms and brakes on eBay.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

These are the pic of the parts on the car... They are not Aluminum, they look almost identical to the Bug IRS Arms...

Are these the ones I can use? If so, what parts should I get off of this car???

The guy is stripping the car, & I can get pretty much any part off this car that he hasn't promised out to anyone.

OR, should I just pass on all of this???

It's for a Baja, to get it up higher without the CV's binding...

Thanks in advance!

'10 Silverado (My daily)
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

So, should I pass on buying these parts?

I might just hold out for the thing rear arms and bus trans... I believe the guy I'm getting the thing beam from has the entire rear for me from drum to drum with rear arms and all. I liked the idea of disc but not needed, plus I'd need rims with the correct bolt patten to go with it. So, I guess I really should pass...

'10 Silverado (My daily)
havasujoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

The 1986 944 stub axles WILL NOT work - the mid 1985 and early will. You will see the difference on the axle nut. The early 944 have a axle nut like the Type 1 IRS, but the later stub axles have a lock nut and do not take cotter pin. Not sure about 924 I think they all work expect maybe later Turbos. When you find a set that the stub axles work - the CVs and Drive axles will fit also - Except automatic trans drive axles they are not the same lenght. You want 16 1/8 dive axles they will fit the Type I and bus trans. The Type 1 trans will need new Flanges to fit the type 2 or 4 CVs. I haven't used Porsche trailing arm but the standard Type 1 trailing arm will work. You will need to clean and inspect the CVs - 944s tear up CVs - I see a lot of pitting, 924 are easier on CVs and there is a better chance they are still good. It just depends when the car had CVs replaced before it hit the junk yard
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: What year Porsche?? Reply with quote

I believe this one was either an early 86 or pre 86... either way it won't matter to me.
I think I'll be all set with the thing (181) parts for the rear though. I'm getting the beam from a thing.

'10 Silverado (My daily)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: