Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home made central air filter - Version 2 now installed
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Heat is no problem at all with the epoxy. There is nowhere near as hot on top of the carbs as around the cylinders and heads. And there is plenty of epoxy hardened fan shrouds around, that won't fail
Go ahead! Fabrication is fun.
Cool idea with a resonator chamber, but I am quite pleased with the sound right now Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Is the inside diameter 2-1/2"? How much
H of a pain is to make up molds? Have you thought about coming straight out the top with the opening? Just wondering. If you start manufacturing for selling. That would be cool to be able to make some kind of snorkel system for my Baja. I wanted. To go through a 3' deep mud hole last time out in the mud, but was worried about sucking in water and hydrolocking.
Again just curious. Thanks.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

yes, the inside diameter of the tubes are 2-1/2".
If you are unfamiliar with glassfiber/epoxy and mold building I would advise you to study some before trying to build molds. It is not overly complicated, but takes some time and patience to get it right.
I donīt own a Baja, so tubes on the top was not an option for me. It would be rather easy to just turn the silicon tubes 45 degrees to point the inlet upwards, though.
I will do a version 2, but with designated left/right units with inlets pointing towards the filter unit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

fiberglass is messy to work with, but holds up to engine temps just fine.
There are a few pics of the foam process I used to form mine. it works well for a one shot mold, the foam melts out with acetone after.

what we started with

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

in the end

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

That looks super nice!
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

hmmmmmmmm, this is when a 3D printer would come handy!
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Exactly! Thats why the prototypes for my version 2 will be 3D printed, to ensure perfect symmetry between left and right.
3D printing is an amazing technology!
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

you do good work, looks factory built. very nice. If you do deciede to build to sell, please PM me or repost. I would definately be interested.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

New designated left/right design. Will fit the engine compartment better. The left side version is fresh from the 3D printer. Next is mold-making and glassfiber/Carbon fiber construction.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Very nice.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

A really nice looking, functional design. You could sell those in a heartbeat!
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Sold! How much?
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
I still need to make the 3d printed parts ready for mold making, and to fabricate the molds for the fiberglass versions, so still a fair amount of work to do, before I will be able to sell any.
I will keep you posted!
Price? I have no idea....
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

oh I see it now, the vw emblem is on the air box!!! nice work. it dosent take a lot to knock down the noise.just my vinyl rain covers quieten mine a good bit.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Tucker.
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

This set up is so slick. I love the 'can-do' attitude as well. Interested in seeing version 2.Cheers
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

Popcorn
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

I have a 3d printer in my dreams and in my nightmares too Shocked now to get one for real...and connect it to a spool gun....with aluminum wire,titanium wire and more.... keep on building ,Ill keep on dreaming....I seem to spend a lot of $$ on tooling&machines, I may never get to building/finishing my new car.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

The project is stil alive. The first two carb tops fresh from the moulds. Still have to fabricate the baseplates.
The filter box will be a modified 1967 dual snout air cleaner. Pulling air from the a 120 mm hole in the bottom to the carb tops via a 2.5" pipe where the snouts used to be. Thougt it would be fun, to use a VW part just to keep a semi-stock look to the engine.
To be continued...

hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade central air filter. Now installed. Reply with quote

I would love a set of these

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: