Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Those of you with 1.8T engines....
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Powbum5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

Is it difficult to find mechanics to work on your engines? Seems to me that having an all VW vehicle would make it easier to service, whether at dealers or shops. I can do some stuff myself but any major work will be at a shop. I just want a sense of whether a 1.8t setup makes maitenance and repair any easier?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8t engines.... Reply with quote

Converted is converted and most shops will not be interested.

If they are really interested, they see a cash cow Wink
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8t engines.... Reply with quote

If it's a Euro shop, they might initially balk at the idea of a conversion, but if you can show them the OBD port and all the peripherals, then they'll probably be ok providing service. They would be used to providing service to other VAG products with the same engine, and the van should be even easier to access than the donor rigs.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8t engines.... Reply with quote

Pretty much no one works on Vanagons any more. Dealerships don't have a clue. I think you're more likely to find someone who can adequately service a conversion than someone who knows how to work on a WBX. This is coming from someone who does not ever let anyone else work on their vehicles, so I've never tried to find someone.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8t engines.... Reply with quote

Powbum5 wrote:
Is it difficult to find mechanics to work on your engines?

Yes.
Powbum5 wrote:
Seems to me that having an all VW vehicle would make it easier to service, whether at dealers or shops.

The VW dealer..will hate you or rape You, don't even bother them "Maroons"

Powbum5 wrote:
I can do some stuff myself but any major work will be at a shop.

So find a german/euro/audi/vw independent shop..here in Kali if you have a CARB tag and know your engine ...can show them where every sensor and component has been relocated..they are very interested in being helpfull Very Happy
i get comments like "This could be so much better with a VR6 Rolling Eyes
Powbum5 wrote:
I just want a sense of whether a 1.8t setup makes maitenance and repair any easier?

Yes it does, OBD2 port really helps.
Repair shops Rolling Eyes You need to get them, 50% of the way to the problem...romance it...have fun
The 18t is so fun to drive ..a six speed would be better..but hey its fun making do with four
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8t engines.... Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Don't go to Dylans shop Laughing
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8t engines.... Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Don't go to Dylans shop Laughing

Just for the record, my shop is private and I do not service Vanagons or sell parts any longer.
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing a 1.8t, working with my friend that is a mechanic so I learn how it all goes together and works. I imagine you are considering the 1.8t for its reliability, so you won't need to take it to a shop except for maybe routine maintenance.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

I would much rather work on a VW engine conversion than a subaru or ford conversion. When I get my shop setup at my house, I won't work on anything but VW engines.

I currently work at an independent VW/Audi, Subaru shop and would welcome any 1.8T conversions in, even home swapped engines that need a little sorting.
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I would much rather work on a VW engine conversion than a subaru or ford conversion. When I get my shop setup at my house, I won't work on anything but VW engines.

I currently work at an independent VW/Audi, Subaru shop and would welcome any 1.8T conversions in, even home swapped engines that need a little sorting.

Move to the UK, there is a void in the south for such a garage.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8t engines.... Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Just for the record, my shop is private and I do not service Vanagons or sell parts any longer.

probably a good thing Laughing
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

The Ed Carroll VW/Porsche/Audi dealership loves my 1.8t and will do any type of work I request. They do my oil changes regularly and cheaper than I can do it at home.

Even while on the road we've never had an issue finding someone to do maintenance. The engine runs great, barring a catastrophe regular maintenance is all thats needed. The only semi major work that will need to be done is the timing belt and the dealership is just fine doing it or any other tuner shop in the valley for that matter
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

My independent VW shop said, "Sure, no problem." My conversion was done by SAH, and they're happy to field calls from any shop with a question. Not sure if that applies to conversions done using their kit, but I would guess yes.
Dan
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

I respect that this is a 1.8T thread but....

While in Bishop CA, I decided it was time to replace the coolant pump on my
ABA. I knew the housing had low KM's so was asking shops if they'd tackle
just doing a pump R&R. This was not a "by the book" thing so that likely
figured into it, but since the local Vanagon guy was busy, I asked at least 4
different shops about this job. The fact that they'd be about 3 days out on
the repair aside, the general response was "ummm, maybe..."
From my POV, the job wasn't rocket surgery but then I installed the thing.
Regardless.....

a. the responses did not inspire confidence in me
b. if the new part, install, whatever, was going to go nipples up, I'd rather
I be the orchestrater of that.

IOW, one has to be involved with their swap. IMO.
OTOH, I've had Vanagon aware shops not really blink an eye for doing basic
stuff on my ABA swap. Depends really.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

I had a local foreign car repair center do the timing belt on my 1.8t. They look at it and said it looks like it will be quicker that doing one in a car so they quoted the normal cost and it came in a little under. They also have done some trouble shooting using the OBD diagnostics and their smoke machine. I think a VW shop wouldn't have any trouble with any of it.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

I had a local foreign car repair center do the timing belt on my 1.8t. They look at it and said it looks like it will be quicker that doing one in a car so they quoted the normal cost and it came in a little under. They also have done some trouble shooting using the OBD diagnostics and their smoke machine. I think a VW shop wouldn't have any trouble with any of it.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

As with any conversion, make sure you have a VIN# for the donor engine, that will help parts suppliers and repair shops. Try to keep a list of fluid types that you used, any other changed parts that you have (ie big brakes), and have a working knowledge of where things are located (harness splices, ecu, etc). These will all help you get service down the road.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
As with any conversion, make sure you have a VIN# for the donor engine, that will help parts suppliers and repair shops. Try to keep a list of fluid types that you used, any other changed parts that you have (ie big brakes), and have a working knowledge of where things are located (harness splices, ecu, etc). These will all help you get service down the road.

Excellent advice! I think SAH twigged to this a long time ago and put together their "manual" anticipating this.

For my conversion, I have a binder with all that data, the wiring diagram from Tom Shiels, a few pics showing where all the various parts from the Subaru SVX are nestled, and print-offs of the most frequently-accessed portions of the SVX factory service manual, the rest being on my hard drive. I even have all the specs for my transaxle rebuild in that binder. It is, in effect, a "composite service manual".

Any conversion would benefit from keeping composite manual like this for service techs. Of course, I would not expect any tech to work on my DIY air conditioning or my DIY cruise control - - there's a limit to all this. Wink
Brandonfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

I work at a dealership in San Diego and welcome any vw swapped vanagon or non swapped for any service. Any service writer will blow you off if they think it's a waste of time. You need to talk to the mechanics. The mechanics working on the car will either instill confidence in you about repairs or rub you the wrong way. You can make your decision from there.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Those of you with 1.8T engines.... Reply with quote

From a biz perspective, the reluctance to service a vehicle with custom non-stock work done to it concerns the learning curve required of the techs over and above the actual work they're going to perform. A service writer tends to view the learning stuff as unrecoverable time, and time is money.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: