Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jetting for a 44 IDF Center Mount on a 1776
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Jetting for a 44 IDF Center Mount on a 1776 Reply with quote

I have a sand rail that I recently purchased with a center mount 44 IDF with the following setup. It eats (carbon fouls) spark plugs like crazy.

175 Air correction
F11 Emulsion tube
155 main
30 venturi
55 Idle

Can I keep the F11's or do I need f7's?

Air correction 160?

135 mains?

I have never ran one of these center mount carbs and I have no idea where to start.
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jetting for a 44 IDF Center Mount on a 1776 Reply with quote

Exhaust and manifold mods. A wide band for jetting.

I would start with a 40idf and a proper mani.
midtravelmidengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jetting for a 44 IDF Center Mount on a 1776 Reply with quote

The intake manifold is probably too big so there is no velocity (regardless of carb) and the fuel is puddling up and dripping into the cylinder and fouling plugs.

First things first. we need a picture of the manifold that is being used. also can you measure the tube on the intake that runs to the end castings.

I assume that since it is a rail, there is no preheat to the intake so that isn't helping but it is not the end of the world if we can get the intake to the right size.

and yes, either way a 36 or 40 carb with a 28 vent will be better suited to the engine size.

youngnstudly wrote:
I just wasn't sure if I should recommend the 1/3 race cam, the 1/2 race cam, or the 5/8 race cam instead...guess it depends on how much of the race he wants to lead???
raymon covey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jetting for a 44 IDF Center Mount on a 1776 Reply with quote

I went to F-7 and it was completely different. You could also use F-2
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jetting for a 44 IDF Center Mount on a 1776 Reply with quote

What sized engine and what jetting?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jetting for a 44 IDF Center Mount on a 1776 Reply with quote

start with

F7
55 idle
125 main
180 air

Nevada Notch wrote:
I have a sand rail that I recently purchased with a center mount 44 IDF with the following setup. It eats (carbon fouls) spark plugs like crazy.

175 Air correction
F11 Emulsion tube
155 main
30 venturi
55 Idle

Can I keep the F11's or do I need f7's?

Air correction 160?

135 mains?

I have never ran one of these center mount carbs and I have no idea where to start.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jetting for a 44 IDF Center Mount on a 1776 Reply with quote

Thank you John!

That's where I'll start.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: