Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

Looks like it
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

there's your 1/4" valve lash!!!!!

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

Yup! And now for the ball-adjuster vs. Porsche adjuster, the point is moot cause I'll use these
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

so you are clear, you use those rockers with lash caps.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

Well, I received the FK8 and the new pushrods today, the PR were the not the ones ordered and the FK8 was the dreaded sc-1... I'm not putting one of these back in... Not with the same lifters anyway. They weren't empi but a set of old bugpack lube a lobes. The alternate set we had was some CB ultralights. A quick call to David @ CB and we were discouraged to use CB lifters with an Sc-1 cam. We finally decided to order an eagle K8 and Cromoly PR's from him. The other stuf is going to be sent back. We also sent the crank out for some light polishing. Everything is now sparkling clean and ready to be re-assembled. Should be done for the weekend.

Good catch there Glen, as I was talking with the shop guy, he wasn't aware of the issues with Sc-1's. All the cams he has at his shop are EP12's. They're mostly his former boss' inventory that he bought a few years back when he quit doing ACVW's.

I remember reading a long thread on cam metallurgy a while back, I'll try and search it to educate myself (again). Gee that infinite ocean of data sure comes in handy at times but as I age, the more I learn, the more I have to forget to make room for the new stuff...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

good plan.
IMO, ep-12 with CB lightweighs=ok

Others report, sc-1 cam with engle or scat lifters=ok

If the universe was fair, the VW aftermarket parts society should send you at least a thank you note, for your "R&d work" and persistence.
Thanks! and good luck
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

Thank you, but I sure won't be sad to leave the R&D part behind... Well, I wanted to learn about these engines, and I sure am learning, the hard way maybe, but learning still.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

modok wrote:
good plan.
IMO, ep-12 with CB lightweighs=ok
Others report, sc-1 cam with engle or scat lifters=ok

I follow this regiment. I also use brazil resoulence( CB bigfoot) with lower lift, milder cams on ep12 blanks also. For the sc-1/EP10 blanks I only use the scat non hole versions. My personal engine uses a web cam that has been stroker clearanced so the id was scrubbed. For this one I use the TS-28s. Expensive but light and sexytime.

Nowdays when I order a cam, I specifically ask what cam blank it is for assurance on what lifter to use.

Sorry you have all these problems pal. They can really bum you out. My 1915 would've been perfect for you! Good luck brother and hope this time she purrs for 50k+.

Jon

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

Props to you for hanging in there.

I hope it all works out this time!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

spread the word. It's amazing how many guys don't know of this cam/lifter compatibility issue, it's been going on for over a decade and we still see this disaster all the time!

Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the good words it is appreciated. I won't let this car get the best of me. I'm meant to drive it, not the other way around.

Jon, the dude who started a thread asking questions about your 1915 didn't buy it in the end? Anyway, yeah I'm sure one of your engines would have caused me a lot less troubles, or one of John's longblocks for that matter. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz. But the main incentive to have my engine re-built here instead of ordering a longblock was to be able to assist with the re-built and get some hands-on experience while also having someone local as a ressource.

Now fingers are crossed and I hope to be able to enjoy at least a few thousands worry free miles this summer. Based on my current experience, the idea of this engine lasting 50k seems rather far fetched but If I can get 15-20k out of it without any more major repairs, I'll be happy.

Again, thanks to everybody for contributing here.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

Great stick-to-itiveness. I know well the pain of having things go upside down and also know well the joy of righting them. Good luck driving the car and have miles fun.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
spread the word. It's amazing how many guys don't know of this cam/lifter compatibility issue, it's been going on for over a decade and we still see this disaster all the time!

Because there are only a few dedicated parts stores that care enough to educate the buyer. Most shops hope you have issues so they can continue to sell you more parts when you break the last ones they sod you.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Because there are only a few dedicated parts stores that care enough to educate the buyer. Most shops hope you have issues so they can continue to sell you more parts when you break the last ones they sod you.

It isn't a brilliant business model: if it weren't for the support here on the Samba, I would've just given up the hobby and invested my money and time in something else. I'm sure I'm not the only newcommer who's thought of that. Kudos to John and the few other parts store/shop owners that take some of their valuable time to educate.
Singerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting case/changing lifters and pushrods Reply with quote

Case is sealed, barrels, pistons and heads bolted in place. New geometry and valvetrain should be setup by tomorrow. Then if all goes well, I should have it in the car for the weekend...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: