Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fresh Air Vent Removal.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Fresh Air Vent Removal. Reply with quote

I've been searching for about the last hour but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to pull the fresh air vents out. Got them unbolted, but how in the heck to you get the cables off? Do I really need to push the drift pins out, or am I missing something?

Once that's done, It looks like the two flappers on each vent have a partial seal left on them, what was supposed to be on there?

Does anyone make new screens for them, or do I need to make up my own.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Vent Removal. Reply with quote

Maybe this helps... an earlier post:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5192814

KTPhil wrote:
My stock '71 fan and plenum before renovating it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used sheets of fairly stiff foam rubber to replace the stuff flaking and falling off the doors (held with contact cement). Sticky-backed foam tape sealed the perimeter on the left and right sides. New rubber isolation mounts (4) made it stay put and not transmit so much noise. These fixes, along with making sure all ductwork connections were leak-free, made sure I got the air where I wanted it.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Vent Removal. Reply with quote

dirtslinger wrote:
I've been searching for about the last hour but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to pull the fresh air vents out. Got them unbolted, but how in the heck to you get the cables off? Do I really need to push the drift pins out, or am I missing something?

Once that's done, It looks like the two flappers on each vent have a partial seal left on them, what was supposed to be on there?

Does anyone make new screens for them, or do I need to make up my own.

You may want to start a build thread - or list your car specs with the post - there are at least three different versions of the fresh air system.

Assuming you're speaking about the 67 you bought:

I'm pretty sure there's a screw that holds the lever to the cowl drain bowl - on the inner side, IIRC.

The vent levers have a foam type seal glued to the end and they're regularly trashed. There are no 'off the shelf' solutions that I'm aware of - I've used weatherstripping to replace it on past cars.

No one makes new screens for the cowl drains - you have to buy them good used or make your own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Vent Removal. Reply with quote

Yes, I'm referring to the 67 I just bought for my daughter and am completely carried away with it. It's now almost 100% stripped and getting a color change.

So, yes, it had one screw for each flap, per vent. It looked like if I pulled the screw, I could get the flapper off, but I wasn't sure and I couldn't find it in the manual I have. I'll try that tonight, I want them out so I clean them up and get new seals and stuff on them before I put them back on.

Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll move this over to my old thread and turn it into a build thread.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Vent Removal. Reply with quote

Yes, as Josh says that's generally best. It keeps everything in one place and it's easier for everyone to keep track of what's been done to the car.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fresh Air Vent Removal. Reply with quote

dirtslinger wrote:
Yes, I'm referring to the 67 I just bought for my daughter and am completely carried away with it. It's now almost 100% stripped and getting a color change.

So, yes, it had one screw for each flap, per vent. It looked like if I pulled the screw, I could get the flapper off, but I wasn't sure and I couldn't find it in the manual I have. I'll try that tonight, I want them out so I clean them up and get new seals and stuff on them before I put them back on.

Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll move this over to my old thread and turn it into a build thread.

It's been a while since I pulled a set apart but I think that if you remove the screw at the end, the whole thing will come apart. Just make sure you bag/tag the parts you remove so you know how it all goes back together.

The parts book's exploded diagrams are often more help with taking things apart than the repair book, in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: