Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater tube issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Valve train noise... Easy to hear that exhaust valve right before it drops Wink

Yeah, wouldn't that be great?, but usually the heat isn't on when it's 100* out and you are struggling up that long mountain pass Laughing

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
My factory tubes looked like yours. The replacements I got from justcampers are holding up well so far.

I'm sure flexible steel would work fine. I'd just be concerned with the proximity to the wires coming off the starter.

Welp. Took a look inside my JustCampers replacement tubes after less than 6 months and this is what they look like inside. The plastic holding the insulation in place has completely melted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

The WW replacement tubes look just like the ones in OP's picture.

I was about to install them, but were too long. Instead the originals got refreshed with a cleaning and new collars. Glad I did what I did.

Sold the replacements at a swap meet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

Well, I saw the glowing review of the JustKampers accordian tubes and ordered them before I saw the followup post where the inside lining melted. Since I paid through the nose for them and they seem to be better quality than the US repros, I thought I would see if I could modify them to make them more durable.

Inside view before.... plastic mesh.

I picked up a roll of 12" x 30" fencing at Ace Hardware. This is heavy enough that it tends toward retaining its flat shape when you roll it.

I cut it to length and then rolled it around the base of a flashlight that is a bit smaller than the inside of the hole.

When you let go of the roll it expands out against the plastic mesh. My hope is that any melted mesh will be held in place by the metal mesh. We shall see.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

Heat shield

http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Exhaust-Muffler-Insula...k129040-20

http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Header-Exhaust-A...merReviews
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

The JK tubes do have insulation behind the plastic mesh.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
Well, I saw the glowing review of the JustKampers accordian tubes and ordered them before I saw the followup post where the inside lining melted.

Bummer. I was able to salvage mine by harvesting the mesh and insulation from my old ones. My passenger side tube was way worse than my driver's side.

The one that hadn't melted as badly I lined the inside with 3M high temperature aluminum tape from the hardware store.

I also had some silicone cuffs that I used to replace the paper and plastic cuffs on the justcampers tubes.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:

I was thinking between the wire mesh screen you installed and plastic. To keep the plastic from melting.
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:

I was thinking between the wire mesh screen you installed and plastic. To keep the plastic from melting.
Tcash
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

Goodhand77 wrote:

What is that type of tube and clamps, and where did you buy them?

Also, any updates on this set up?

Thank you!

Overlanding the USA
Camper special engine build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

onehappykombi wrote:
What is that type of tube and clamps, and where did you buy them?

Also, any updates on this set up?

Thank you!

the pictures are from seven years ago, and the op hasn’t visited in two.

you might be waiting a long time for a response.

you might try a private message to him. maybe he’ll reply to that.

good luck.
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

[quote="dodger tom"]
onehappykombi wrote:

the pictures are from seven years ago, and the op hasn’t visited in two.

you might be waiting a long time for a response.

you might try a private message to him. maybe he’ll reply to that.

good luck.

Thank you

I will bring these photos and show them to my local hardware store guy

Overlanding the USA
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

Pretty sure that is flex exhaust pipe, sold at any NAPA
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

As it is not terribly hot there, I would look for some Spa Hose of a correct ID to fit over the Heat Exchanger and duct connections and insulate with some foam pipe insulation. Use some worm clamps at each end to attach.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

I think the air coming out of the heat exchangers is around 300F. It melts a lot of the reproduction bellows. Once those repro bellows start to deform inside, the temperature goes up to that of the the heat exchanger inside, which can melt aluminum if the air across it is disrupted.
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

I ordered mine from J-Bugs (received EMPI brand) and the stuff inside them does not look like I would want to make my family breathe it’s vapors:

Returned them immediately (re-stocking fee Shocked )

Overlanding the USA
onehappykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Pretty sure that is flex exhaust pipe, sold at any NAPA

Thank you, I will look into it

Overlanding the USA
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

Contact Ken Madson at the Busco and buy a set of originals that aren't full of mice. Wash the outer in soap and water and it will look new. The ends unscrew. Pull the guts out and flip the fabric over so the inside is now out and the clean outside is now in, Do not wash it, even by hand or it falls apart. Paint the wire after cleaning it. A couple days later put it back together. Like new.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

I have no idea if the aftermarket tubes use inferior plastic, but it’s easy to see why they would melt.

The big springy coil does not hold the insulation in place. The gaps between the coils are huge. After a few months shuffling them around in bins, the insulation sags into the tube and blocks it. No doubt, this happens quickly clunking around in a bus…airflow is blocked, so it’s gonna melt.

The originals use a tight mesh tube, tightly wrapped with insulation. They are well sealed at the ends and insulated from the metal they are connected to by asbestos cuffs.

I bought a few originals from the classifieds. For now, I’m using flex tubing. It works well, but as mentioned, transmits engine noise and likely loses heat. But it works and I now can defrost my windshield. One day I will fix up the original tubes. That sort of arts and crafts refurb is the best solution I have found for replacing these tubes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2371744.jpg
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube issues Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I have no idea if the aftermarket tubes use inferior plastic, but it’s easy to see why they would melt.

The big springy coil does not hold the insulation in place. The gaps between the coils are huge. After a few months shuffling them around in bins, the insulation sags into the tube and blocks it. No doubt, this happens quickly clunking around in a bus…airflow is blocked, so it’s gonna melt.

The originals use a tight mesh tube, tightly wrapped with insulation. They are well sealed at the ends and insulated from the metal they are connected to by asbestos cuffs.

I bought a few originals from the classifieds. For now, I’m using flex tubing. It works well, but as mentioned, transmits engine noise and likely loses heat. But it works and I now can defrost my windshield. One day I will fix up the original tubes. That sort of arts and crafts refurb is the best solution I have found for replacing these tubes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2371744.jpg

It takes about 20 minutes a tube to clean and rebuild. The asbestos cuffs can be pulled off under water, the metal cleaned with a wire brush, and new silicone style cuffs from a vanagon used.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: