Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Won't go into gear
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbossert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

After the engine rebuild on the '69 I can't get her into gear (any) with the engine running. I changed out the clutch cable which was a little frayed, adjusted the free play. I even tried taking up all the free play to see if it would go but still couldn't coax it into gear. During the rebuild I replaced the clutch disc but not the pressure plate, throwout bearing, or pilot bearing which all appeared and felt good. I've heard they should be matched to each other but haven't done this in the past and never had a problem. The clutch pedal feels hard to depress but it does go to the floor. I'm out of ideas and could really use some ideas on this.
'87 Quantum Synchro
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

does it shift with the engine off?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

rbossert wrote:
After the engine rebuild on the '69 I can't get her into gear (any) with the engine running.

Does this mean you can shift fine with the engine off? If so, concentrate more on the clutch release mechanism and not the shifter mechanism.

If you have a helper, with the engine off, have them push the clutch pedal down while you watch the release lever on the left side of the transaxle. This video shows the amount of play needed, but please note that the nut he has on the cable will cause excess wear, and should NOT be used as shown:

Link

If your helper is still willing, you can then have them engage first gear, and continue to hold the clutch down while you try to turn the engine over with a wrench or by hand on the belt. (This is also with the engine off.) If the engine resists more in gear with the clutch in than it does in neutral, you have clutch engagement issues.

Try these tests and report back; they're free only only take a few minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

rbossert wrote:
After the engine rebuild on the '69 I can't get her into gear (any) with the engine running. I changed out the clutch cable which was a little frayed, adjusted the free play. I even tried taking up all the free play to see if it would go but still couldn't coax it into gear. During the rebuild I replaced the clutch disc but not the pressure plate, throwout bearing, or pilot bearing which all appeared and felt good. I've heard they should be matched to each other but haven't done this in the past and never had a problem. The clutch pedal feels hard to depress but it does go to the floor. I'm out of ideas and could really use some ideas on this.

Sure all your new parts matched your old? VW used several different clutch release systems over the years and it is easy to get the parts mixed up.

FWIW, I would never reuse a pilot bearing that have even moderate miles on it. This is an inexpensive part with a high failure rate and it makes no sense not to change it out when you have access.

Probably not possible to put the clutch disc in backwards, but maybe.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Probably not possible to put the clutch disc in backwards, but maybe.

Definitely impossible on a Type 1 engine. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

or T4
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

Is this sudden?, or has it never worked since you put it back together?
How long has it sat?, has it been rainy or humid where you are?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rbossert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

She sat for several years and shifted fine before the engine rebuild though the linkage has always been balky. Idaho is dry in summer and cold and snowy in winter. I can get it into first or reverse, when the engine is off, start it up, release the clutch and move the vehicle. Yes, in hindsight I should have replaced the pilot bearing and probably the throwout bearing and maybe the pressure plate as well. Wildthings noted different clutch systems: does this suggest the new disc may not match my pressure plate? I really doubt I could have had a total brain fart and put the disc in backwards; not even sure if that's possible. I'll get under it tomorrow and watch the release lever and try turning it over by hand. What could cause the pedal pressure to be significantly harder than that of my '71 Type 2? I wondered about the Bowden tube sag but it looks about the same as the one on my '71.
'87 Quantum Synchro
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

Did you support the transaxle while the engine was out?

Maybe be you need a new shift coupled and/or a shift plate alignment.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

If you can start it in gear with the clutch depressed and it doesn't drive off uncontrollably then the plate hasn't rusted to the flywheel. If you are sure the cable is adjusted well and the release fork isn't broken or popped off a throwout bearing ear then suspect the pressure plate or warped clutch disc. Or sometimes rusty or rough pilot shaft splines.

Sounds like the engine has to come out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
rbossert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that although the truck sat outside for a couple years the engine was inside the shop. Yes the trans was supported.
'87 Quantum Synchro
rbossert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

Regarding the tests, the engine is harder to turn manually in first than in neutral but it does turn so apparently it's not fully engaging.
'87 Quantum Synchro
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

rbossert wrote:
Regarding the tests, the engine is harder to turn manually in first than in neutral but it does turn so apparently it's not fully engaging.

Is this with the clutch pushed in or not? We need more details. Try to avoid the word "it" if possible.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

When you installed the new disc and then the pressure plate. Did you slowing tighten the pressure plate bolts in a cross pattern until you did the final torque?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

sounds like the clutch disc or pilot bearing is dragging. Will have to pull the engine to resolve it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

I can get it into first or reverse, when the engine is off, start it up, release the clutch and move the vehicle.
The disc is not stuck to the flywheel. But you should be able to get into all gear engine off.
Check the shift coupler.
Shifter Parts ID

Wildthings noted different clutch systems: does this suggest the new disc may not match my pressure plate?
Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing

Bowden tube sag but it looks about the same as the one on my '71.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1128257.jpg

Turning the engine in gear, brake off clutch out should cause the vehicle to move forward in proportion with your turning.

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

I am thinking that maybe the throwout bearing has come off of one of the fingers and has gotten cocked somehow, or maybe the input shaft pulled out of the transmission a bit and is somehow fouling things up.

I agree at this point the engine needs to come out again. For myself I have learned to check the clutch and shifter operation when I first get the engine up into its home and have all the bolts in place. If the shifter will not move freely into all gears and/or the clutch just doesn't feel right it takes little time to pull the engine back out and correct what it wrong.
basic_bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

the 1968 bus I'm working on was sitting for 5 years, the brakes were seized and the oil cooler was not tightened properly and created a huge oil leak. I cleaned and replaced, as required, all the brakes, removed engine and secured oil cooler. on my first test drive I thought my brakes may have been too tight and were dragging as it was like brakes were on so didn't get out of the drive way and I adjusted brakes again-all tires turn freely
the problem didn't go away..... the bus is very resistant to moving; I can move through all the gears, when i'm in first, engine running and try and release the clutch the whole bus twists, like one of the brakes are on. reverse seems a little better and the bus seems to move more freely. I tried a start with clutch pedal released and gear shift in neutral and the bus hops like it is in gear. so I'm thinking the gear shift doesn't shift to neutral. when the clutch is depressed bus starts but still doesn't roll if gear shift is in neutral. seems like two problems one being the neutral and the other is that the transaxle isn't really in first--maybe in two gears...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

basic_bear wrote:
the 1968 bus I'm working on was sitting for 5 years, the brakes were seized and the oil cooler was not tightened properly and created a huge oil leak. I cleaned and replaced, as required, all the brakes, removed engine and secured oil cooler. on my first test drive I thought my brakes may have been too tight and were dragging as it was like brakes were on so didn't get out of the drive way and I adjusted brakes again-all tires turn freely
the problem didn't go away..... the bus is very resistant to moving; I can move through all the gears, when i'm in first, engine running and try and release the clutch the whole bus twists, like one of the brakes are on. reverse seems a little better and the bus seems to move more freely. I tried a start with clutch pedal released and gear shift in neutral and the bus hops like it is in gear. so I'm thinking the gear shift doesn't shift to neutral. when the clutch is depressed bus starts but still doesn't roll if gear shift is in neutral. seems like two problems one being the neutral and the other is that the transaxle isn't really in first--maybe in two gears...

Step 1 is lay beneath the bus as a helper manipulates the shifter and confirm the coupler is doing its thing. If that seems OK your next step is likely drop the trans and pull the nose cone: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392106&highlight=shift+bracket

Слава Україні!
basic_bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Won't go into gear Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: