Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

It turns out the S8 is the sales code for LH1V!

Yes indeedy; I planned to add the PKN plate info, but didn't have a good enough photo... until yours. Very Happy

Sales codes also added to the master list; the only ones missing are for one N.A. color and lots of S. Africa colors.

kurt vonnagon wrote:
kamzcab86 : Thanks hopefully you got to cut and paste a lot. It would take me a week or more even with spell check.

Copied & pasted from my master paint document. Wink Still need to finish the color samples documents.

Summers420us wrote:

So what is the color code of the "steel blue pop-top"

Unfortunately, pop-top paint color codes are unknown at this time. Lots of topics on the subject and none have the actual codes, only suggestions to get a shop to computer-match your existing roof, or suggestions on close matches. Confused I wonder if Westfalia has that info archived... Think
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come all of this info is not listed with all the other VW's?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good site to look up color by year, make and model.
http://www.paintscratch.com/
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Orly Blue Reply with quote

Who has successfully matched Orly Blue in a paint that would cost significantly less Glasurit?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepeopleeater wrote:
Great!

How about a Krylon match thread like the split guys have Very Happy

just for the record, rustoleum sunrise red is a spot on match for LY3D tornado red.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 81 vanagon has a sticker beneath the driver's seat indicating Guinea Blue and Cornat Blue.
'71 Bus
Beetsport Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Does anyone know where we can find the pop top roof color code?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

^^^
The white roofs are pretty darn close to, if not specifically, "Pastel White (L90D) [R1]". But, as you are well aware, most white tops get so chalky they look whiter (until you pop the top and look where the sun hasn't faded it for 25 years).
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

what about Savannah beige metallic vans? they seem to have a desert tan colored pop top. any ideas on the code for that?

Last edited by edgood1 on Fri May 27, 2016 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
^^^
The white roofs are pretty darn close to, if not specifically, "Pastel White (L90D) [R1]". But, as you are well aware, most white tops get so chalky they look whiter (until you pop the top and look where the sun hasn't faded it for 25 years).

The pop tops from the factory were single stage paints, hence the chalk over the years.
vers13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Odd; my '88 Wolfsburg came in Orly Blue with Jade Metallic cladding. Either of which are not listed on the first page. In case any other '87-'89 Wolfsburg owners are wondering, the paint code for the cladding in Jade Metallic is LN6V.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

vers13 wrote:
Odd; my '88 Wolfsburg came in Orly Blue

Are you the original owner of the van? I ask because to my knowledge, VW did not sell Wolfsburg Editions of any 1988 vehicle model. Additionally, Orly Blue Metallic did not exist until the 1989 model year.

vers13 wrote:
In case any other '87-'89 Wolfsburg owners are wondering, the paint code for the cladding in Jade Metallic is LN6V.

Are you certain it is that color? Because LN6V is actually named Jade Green Metallic (a color not listed for the vans) and looks like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The parts catalog lists three colors for the fiberglass bumpers: Ivory (Europe), Graphite, and Cloud Gray Metallic.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vers13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Yes, we've had it since new, purchased in 04/1988 according to my registration paper.

I'm sure. I checked the sticker under the dash on the driver's side; it is in fact Orly Blue Metallic (LP5Z). It took some research to find the color code for the cladding. I found it here, at the old vanagon mailing list. Take notice of Jordan VW's reply.

http://gerry.vanagon.com/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0106A&L=vanagon&P=R6589
JustsomeKentuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Rest-of-the-World Colors

Under construction.

What happened to this? I was hoping to see some other vanagons paired up in other than factory colors.

Wifey wants a blue one Smile
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Sorry if I missed it,but does anyone know the colour code for T3 transporter hubcaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Has anyone found a good source for small containers (rattle cans or pints) LD5T Star Blue Metallic or a reasonable facsimile? I'd like to re-do my body cladding to buy some time, while I save up for a full re-spray.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

just go to the paint shop in your town - that's where the body shops buy

the one here is happy to sell you a pint and has the little sprayers with the disposable air cans too (forget what the brand name is)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

From what I gather, LD5T is kinda rare, and is two stage to boot. I've tried spraying cans filled from paint codes, and the results were really poor.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
robby2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

All metallic paint uses a clear coat. In the Vanagon era, all solid colors are single stage.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: T3 Paint Colors & Codes: The Comprehensive Guide Reply with quote

Regarding color matching, I just did a roof repair and mixed some of my sign paint to repaint and seal in the fiberglass repair.

It's an '84 so not as bright as original, but for my roof it took white, a tish of black, and a bit of a mustardy gold to match. If I wanted to find the actual, original white I'd use a lifetime-garaged Westy to match a sample to.

If you have access to any color sample books, find a color there matching your "white" Westy roof (it's actually an extremely light warm gray) and match your sample color to a color book from the paint manufacturer, like at an auto body supply store. That way your roof color can be accurately repainted if you want the original color -- with any fading.

I'll be mixing burnt orange -- which I'm surprised here is called "Aswan Brown," as every (apparently-incorrect) reference I've ever seen calls it "Assuan Brown" -- for chip repairs next. The results will be far better than using auto paint, it's extremely flexible and durable on fiberglass and needs no prep or clear coat beyond a good de-greasing with (uninked) paper towels.

I used to have to match colors as part of a prior life as a pinstriper and sign guy, so matching (non-metallic) color is dead on is quick once you learn to see what a color wants -- or is lacking. The sign paint fills chips well, and if desired, block sands nicely after a couple weeks of drying. It's an alkyd enamel called One-Shot Lettering Enamel.

When it comes time to repaint my roof, I will degrease the roof with Prep-Sol, DA sand it, degrease again with Prep-Sol, and roll-coat with my sign paint. I'll do the same to my Yakima to match the bus color. It will outlast any brittle auto spray paint if done correctly -- in one coat. The stuff soaks into fiberglass like a sponge, and I found it interesting reading here that people use Penetrol to seal their pop tops. That's an old sign painter's trick to mix with sign paint for absorption on fiberglass.

GREAT EFFORT from the OP, Thank You!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: