Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

Hello and hello. When i go to pull the knob under the drivers seat to open the heater vent, minutes later the car smells strongly of gas! I dont want to prematurely start taking apart the exhaust system but from what ive been told thats where i need to be looking for cracked manifold or the whole heater exchange system. If some one could point me in a more exact direction, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks VW fam Smile
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

Anytime you smell gas. Fuel and Gas tank vent hoses are suspect.
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!

EVAP Systems

Good luck
Tcash
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

Embarassed This is code red-- you need to find that fuel leak-- and own 2 fire extinguishers.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

Are you talking about smelling gasoline fumes or just the stink of burnt oil?
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

its the smell of gas. And so from reading afew topics i need to be....

replacing:

the fuel lines. quick question though. What im i looking for when inspecting current fuel lines? cracks in the rubber and what else?

I need to relocate fuel filter. which is sitting right next to the distributor cap which makes sense in terms of a ticking time bomb....

What additional things im i looking for and or inspecting to eliminate the stench of gasoline inside when vent is pulled open? thanks in advance
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

First, stop driving this bus and disconnect its battery before getting this fixed.

Next, you need to replace all the fuel lines, whether or not you actually see cracks. They can fail from the inside where you can't see it.

All the rubber in the fuel system is suspect, from the filler neck to its connection to the tank to the fuel vapor lines on top of the tank and elsewhere, and of course all the fuel lines from tank to carb or injectors.

In the course of going through all that, you will likely find the source of the fumes, but even if you don't, once you replace everything you (and the rest of us) will sleep better.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

areabaylove wrote:
its the smell of gas. And so from reading afew topics i need to be....

replacing:

the fuel lines. quick question though. What im i looking for when inspecting current fuel lines? cracks in the rubber and what else?

I need to relocate fuel filter. which is sitting right next to the distributor cap which makes sense in terms of a ticking time bomb....

What additional things im i looking for and or inspecting to eliminate the stench of gasoline inside when vent is pulled open? thanks in advance

What kind of motor are you running? I just went through this with a failure or or around my cold start valve. I have Fuel Injection.

Definitely stop driving until you can positively identify your source and or do a general hose refresh and inspection of everything.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

Sorry to hi-jack this but...
I had this recently too, although the smell is very faint and typically on deceleration. I have stock FI, and I noticed on one fuel rail (divers side) there is an outlet between the two that go to the injectors. it faces up and is capped with a stock looking bolt with a little gasket. In the same spot this pressure gauge is located (photo from gallery):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

seems to be weeping there ever so slightly. Should that even be there? is there a replacement fuel rail without that there I could get, or a better way to seal it? Just as a note, the whole system was very recently gone over, all lines replaced, fuel injector seals and any other hoses and seals I could get my hands on were also replaced. Bus runs fine.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
I had this recently too, although the smell is very faint and typically on deceleration. I have stock FI, and I noticed on one fuel rail (divers side) there is an outlet between the two that go to the injectors. it faces up and is capped with a stock looking bolt with a little gasket.
seems to be weeping there ever so slightly. Should that even be there? is there a replacement fuel rail without that there I could get, or a better way to seal it? Just as a note, the whole system was very recently gone over, all lines replaced, fuel injector seals and any other hoses and seals I could get my hands on were also replaced. Bus runs fine.

The rail is there for hooking up a pressure gauge (clearly as pictured) as well as relieving pressure when needed. It predates the Schroeder valves that all cars have now.

The little aluminum crush gasket is available, also use some oil rated PTFE
teflon tape on the bolt threads too for a good seal.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
I had this recently too, although the smell is very faint and typically on deceleration. I have stock FI, and I noticed on one fuel rail (divers side) there is an outlet between the two that go to the injectors. it faces up and is capped with a stock looking bolt with a little gasket. In the same spot this pressure gauge is located (photo from gallery):

Hi-jack over
Type 4 Hex head washer for the fuel pressure testing tap
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

thank you guys so much.....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

the motor is a dual port. So im content and fully aware on replacing the fuel lines regardless so that we can all sleep rest assured!! Could some one provide estimated lengths of line i will need and any other parts i may come across in this procedure? Also i seen on another post there's tank breather lines that go up into the rear body pillars, how in the world would i be able to change/check those out?

Lastly just so im covering all the bases; does the heater exchange box have any correlation to the exhaust manifold and if anything in that area should be investigated for cracks or replacement? thanks a tons, seriously
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm

this guy or girl goes crazy in depth about the whole system...... and it seems the over arching theme is dealing with the heat exchanger and exhaust manifold
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

sorry for the machine gun responses here but from reading afew other threads the knob in question is allowing the heat to enter the rear area... does this mean i should be looking else where?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

areabaylove wrote:
sorry for the machine gun responses here but from reading afew other threads the knob in question is allowing the heat to enter the rear area... does this mean i should be looking else where?

If you remove the accordion tubes and block off the wye duct where the tubes attached then you will get almost no fumes into the cab, at least if all your rear hatch seals and such are good.

Have you changed all the hose pieces in your fuel tank vent system and replaced the fuel filler elbow and other rubber inlet pieces for your model year? They all deteriorate with time and cause gas odors in the engine compartment and cab.
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

hey folks again! so upon taking a quick glance at what replacing the lines entiles, it does not appear to be straight forward. I would have to remove the motor to even begin having enough room to operate. Can some one help simplify this procedure? I greatly appreciate it Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

areabaylove wrote:
hey folks again! so upon taking a quick glance at what replacing the lines entiles, it does not appear to be straight forward. I would have to remove the motor to even begin having enough room to operate. Can some one help simplify this procedure? I greatly appreciate it Smile

You don't have to pull the motor to replace either the vent or fill hoses, though if you have to pull the motor for some reason then use the opportunity to replace them.

Check Ratwell.com for how to info.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
areabaylove wrote:

You don't have to pull the motor to replace either the vent or fill hoses, though if you have to pull the motor for some reason then use the opportunity to replace them.

Check Ratwell.com for how to info.

areabaylove wrote:
the motor is a dual port.

Perhaps you should share the model and year of bus we are discussing here, different years require different procedures.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

Sorry! i have sitting in the driveway a 1971, dual port, riveria edition bus Smile
areabaylove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Strong smell of gas when heater vent opened Reply with quote

pretty please, a procedure for me and my poooor bus!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: