Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Axle Seals
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M Chrispyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Axle Seals Reply with quote

I have replaced the outboard axle seals on a 67 Beetle 3 times, they keep leaking even when the car hasn't moved. Have been very careful to not damage the o rings or the gaskets. Have 90 weight gear oil in it up to the fill hole.
Any ideas?
fcampbell356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Axle Seals Reply with quote

Where is it leaking from? If it is leaking from behind the backing plate, put a gasket between the carrier and backing plate. Make sure all parts are in order
and tighten axle nut to the proper setting.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle Seals Reply with quote

I use black RTV and never have leaks.
M Chrispyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle Seals Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It is leaking from around the outer axle seal. Up on further checking I think I had it too full and the car is off the ground and the axles are hanging lower than the rear end housing which I think are the two main causes, I'll correct those two and see what happens then.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle Seals Reply with quote

I have had trouble with the axles leaking too.

I found the seals are easy to damage when installing the caps. Be very careful slipping them onto the axle spline.
Also make sure you don't buy the cheap seal kits.
Be careful when pounding the seal into the cap and lube the inside before installing onto the axle making sure you don't damage anything and also make sure everything is in the correct order.

It is easiest when the axle is level so that gear lube is not leaking out getting the gasket all wet with oil.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: