Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
I am new to the forum, but not that new to VW's. I worked in a VW dealership from the 70's thru the late 80's.....I was their unit room guy (motors and gearboxes) as well as a general line tech. VWoA trained by West German instructors, ASE Master certified, the whole nine yards. I changed career paths after my VeeDub days and am recently retired and have some projects of my own. I followed the posts from start to finish and I admire your determination. Most would have given up by now.

These buses were new when I worked at the dealership. I may have done the make ready on that machine. HA! Power plant wise, I worked on probably 10 times as many Type 1's as Type 2's and 4's....that, I think was because they were much better engines. VW fixed all the crap that was wrong with the bug motors. Oil filter, bigger oil cooler, bigger oil pump, 9mm sodium filled exhaust valves, tapered head studs and on and on.

Those cylinders you have have a very shallow spigot sticking out as compared to a bug cylinder. I would not leave the cylinder head gaskets out, but rather I would definitely use them. As I think you found out the cylinder head will bottom on the fin area of the head. The shims and cylinder head gaskets were put there for a reason. I worked on a number of these, and I can say with the utmost confidence, I never had a problem with the design as it was. VW addressed some of this on later model dual port bug heads with the "step" cast into them and for all intents and purposes accomplishes the same thing. VW did a lot of things toward the end of the Type 1's to try to make them live in hotter climates. I would measure your deck height with the cylinder base shim installed, cc the head, add for the head gasket and see what your compression ratio is and use shims to adjust it no more than 7 to 1. You can do that with more cylinder base shims. Probably get some kick back on that, but what can I say?

While I was thinking of other peculiarities, I would look at the throttle shafts and make sure there is no play there. I have a tool kit, Hazet I think, that drills and reams the carb bodies for bushings. If the throttle shafts are loose, it is impossible to tune the carbs. With that many miles on 'er, I'll bet a Shiner beer they are "floppy."

I would ditch the A/C.....I hate those. There were no "Factory A/C's"....they were all put in at the dealership....I know, I put them in and hated every minute of it. That running the belt behind the fan housing and cutting up the engine sheet metal $hit should tell you everything you need to know about that. Where I live they were known as, "the kiss of death" made the engines run smoking hot and that is the last thing you need.

Good luck with your bus, I'll be watching.......now, go fix this puppy.

Welcome rugblaster

That carb bushing toolkit is probably a rare bird. Only the 72-74 Bays are in need of the dual carb bushing job....if you aren't doing bushings for a living please consider selling it to the guys who do these.

Apologies for being a bit forward as I respect your right to do with it as you please.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
If you can't get a gasoline powered engine to start with gasoline, you have other problems that need to be attended to first. No other use for starting fluid except very large, cold and naturally aspirated diesel engines.

Just my opinion, of course.

Video on the correct use of starting fluid

Link

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Oh hell, yes!! THAT just made my day. The rooster crowing was just perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I calculate three out of the four boaters did time in country looking for Charlie....or whomever you guys looked for in the ME..
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So in preps to getting the bus road worthy, I am beginning the rotted floor removal on the front pan. My plans are to weld in a solid patch to make the bus operable, and when I go to the Eureka Springs show in October, I'm going to buy the Italian floor pan from the vendor out of Atlanta. My main concerns about the patch is going to be the steering column and the bracket that goes underneath the floor for the correct function of the accelerator. Folks know the actual name of the bracket that goes underneath since I could use a replacement?
Here are some progressional photos:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I'm having trouble picturing which accelerator part you are asking about.
This maybe?
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211721631A

If not can you snap a picture of what you are asking about?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252206566470?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

To complicate things even more so, I'm not quite sure what I'm after. There is a bracket on the bottom of the of the floor pan that retains the accelerator cable, the bracket from my understanding is the lower portion of the pedal assembly and/or the accelerator cable. I'll have to look into it a little more. With pictures to come of course.
Thanks guys,
Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Well today, I finally got my lazy rear in gear for a hour or so, and finished cutting out the driver side rust in my floor pan. I’m saving the openings for the steering column, clutch, and brake pedal assemblies. With the accelerator pedal opening rotted, I cut it out as well, leaving the top underneath bracket for the gas pedal assembly since it’s intact.
Still sticking to the plan of having this temp fix to allow for the enjoyment of the bus, until I make it to the show in Eureka Springs in late September to score a new complete floor pan from a cat named Chadd Magee out of Atlanta, with a very nice looking pan out of Italy, though I don’t know the name of the manufacturer, if someone does, that would be very good info.
I am torn, since I plan of having this patch as a temporary fix, I don’t want to go all out and weld the metal along all of the lip of the good body metal, nor completely to the frame. What are folks take on putting a few rivets down in it?
Here are some photos of progression:

Hope all are well, in VW world!
Cheers, and Happy Weekend gents,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So I have a temporary floor installed on the driver side, riveted in with materials I had around the house. The 1/8" is a lot thicker steel than the OG pan. My main concern and question now is about the linkage for the gas pedal. How does everything operate underneath the floor? I can't find anything, absolutely nothing, on how the linkage works or any images of the parts needed or any supplies with links to purchase replacement items or exploded views. Muir was a strikeout, Clymber was a strikeout, Bentley was a strikeout.
So, to you all out there, anyone have any info on the gas pedal linkage for 74 LHD buses??
Thanks guys,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So what a productive weekend!
Not only did I finish removing all the rusted pan on the driver side floor, I riveted in the new piece as mentioned before and today consisted of manipulating the original bracket and linkage to the gas cable and pedal, using my new hinge kit for the pedal from Bus Depot, to get this ole thing moving!!!
Yes! Today. I drove the bus for the first time, and it's awakening journey around the neighborhood in almost 3 decades. Of course I have some timing to adjust, carbs to tune, and tires, brakes, steering components, etc, it has been such a fulfilling journey and today is just a little closer to the realization that men can have hobbies of keep cool old things alive and treasured. One giant step for myself and the bus, one small step for the VW community. Let's keep it rolling gents, safely and steadfast!
Have a great week folks,
Sam

https://instagram.com/p/BFum_HhoLol/

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Excellent work! I've been enjoying following along!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

oh god dude fuck y eah!! good job~!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Congrats man!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Applause great going.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Super pumped! Thank you all so very much, it’s such a great feeling, hearing, seeing, and feeling this thing moving!
-So as you can notice in the short clip I linked, you can see how terribly rich the left carb was initially running. So today, I watched a lad for half an hour on Youtube, remove and tune the dual Solex carbs, so after learning good tips and information, I removed my two carbs and regapped throttle butterflies, fixed the sticky choke butterfly on the left main carb, and adjusted with correction to the chokes.
-Once reinstalling, I checked fuel connections, vacuum lines, and the necessity missing items for my brake booster vacuum (which is all completely missing) so a list is begun as I need to get on the stopping part. Carbs run A LOT better, no more rich bogging, so very pleased.
-Also I learned that not only were my carbs faulty, my complete assessment on timing led to the realization that my timing mark on my pulley is 180* out, so timing correction takes place tomorrow, as well as readjusting my valves. I can’t believe I did such a thing, shows the importance of having a GOOD timing scale and CORRECTLY marked pulley. I hope my ignorance is a quick fix.
-If time permits, I’m going to remove the rear wheels and drums and clean up and change out my spring hardware for the brakes. Also working on finding someone to sandblast rims and powder coat them white. Getting ready to bite the bullet for new tread.
- Oh, how my the list goes on and on, but at least I have few months before my big show in Eureka Springs!
Until next time, thanks for riding with me on this journey everyone,
Sam

5/24 Edit:
I discovered today that I am capable of being a complete idiot, as I had been attaching the timing light strobe to ignition wire #2! instead of wire 1, which resulted in the 180* flop on the timing mark. Switch strobe to cylinder wire #1, and mark was correct, as is valves. I am still having a lot of fits with this dual vacuum distributor, so tomorrow will consist of timing again!

Last edited by SamboSamba22 on Tue May 24, 2016 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

what are you getting for tires?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So I got the distributor back in, and finally with a little cleaning and re-oiling the thing, I was able to set the timing to the 10 ATDC for the Dual Solex carbs!!
What a relief, and a nuisance, but a learning experience all the same. I still have an exhaust leak on the left side since the crush gasket is ruined, so bare with me. Also have a little drop of oil coming from my leaky oil sump since my rebuild kit lacked a new gasket. But all in all, glad to hear it idle pretty nicely.
Making note to get a factory style exhaust down the road, thing thing is loud Curt! Laughing
Without further ado, here's a little link to the current running condition of my 1800cc dual carbed type 4 powerhouse!
https://instagram.com/p/BF2cbbXILni/
PS- hooked the brake booster vacuum lines up and whoa, what a difference a little (assistance) makes coming to a stop.
Cheers,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Stuart,
A buddy of mine has these on his 69 Westy. I really like the aggressive tire since I'll be seeing a lot of campsites. Seems like a more versatile tire than the new Hankook RA18. Fits stock 14" rim with around 1800lbs a tire!

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So today I received my back ordered Oil Pressure Sending Unit grommet from Bus Depot. I have to say for $7, it’s very nice, seems durable and even has the lip to seal along engine tin.

I also decided today to place back in my fridge and stove cabinetry. Stopped by work and got new fittings and gas lines for the propane tank. Glad that went well, only catch is the valve from the on and off knob on the tank is leaking.
Does anyone have a leads on tips to servicing and keeping the OG Propane tank?

Also dug around to find I do indeed have the rear bug net, though it looks like someone smoked a few with it in place, I’m glad to see overall its in very nice shape.

I placed a WTB ad on the classifieds reaching out for the missing engine tin on my motor, where I decided not to reinstall my A/C compressor for now, and had a couple leads from a few members for the item I’m after, not the best shape, but if the deal works out, I’ll be scoring the necessary piece for around $30 shipped.

I’d like to wish everyone a safe and awesome holiday, if there are VW events taking place, make sure to get photos! Enjoy the days with family and friends, go camping in your buses, I need storage and necessities tips on weekend adventures!
Cheers,
Sam

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 58

Jump to: