Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan_72_Type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

I read the rules on the forum and wasn't sure where to post this introduction. My name is Ryan, I was fortunate enough to inherit a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Automatic. She's in rough shape but all there. Im just beginning to research restoring this car. I know type 3s are a labor of love. I inherited mine from my great grandmother, and I am wanting to restore it in memory of her. I checked a few forums, and you all seem more knowledgeable than most others. I have been digging around on this website for a few days looking for the basic answers, but I know some you just have to ask.

I have seen a few custom Type 3 on the net, most restored to former glory. In my digging I found most people saying don't put bigger than a 1776 in a fastback due to heat soak, and a few people on here already solved that problem by adding intake inlets to introduce convection breathing to the engine.

Has anyone done a new modern VW engine in these cars that can lay down some real power (200+whp)? Im a big muscle car guy and thinking why not see what I can do.

I will also be swapping from the factory automatic, to a manual (make her more fun for me to drive). I see a lot of 3 spd manuals and 4 spd manuals rebuilt and posted for sale. Has anyone made a 6 speed kit for these cars? Wanting to make her set up to DD. Ill have another vehicle, but just would like more gears.

Im also looking into modern brake configurations, are there drilled and slotted brake kits out there for these cars?

Pardon my ignorance on all of this, and thanks for any useful input. I will post more pics soon.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

http://subarugears.com/

5-speed, 200+ horsepower, potential future abortion.

Have fun, and welcome.
Ryan_72_Type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

rosevillain wrote:
http://subarugears.com/

5-speed, 200+ horsepower, potential future abortion.

Have fun, and welcome.

Thank you.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

Wow! Truly a "shed find". Smile
Take/ post lots of pictures when you haul it out. Looks like fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

Build a 200 hp 2276cc,small turbo or Type 4 motor w/4-5 speed in the trunk. Faster & lighter than watercooled! Turbo Bugs turn 7.90's 1/4 miles at Sacramento/Woodburn/SoCal Bug Drags. They couldn't do it with a heavier watercooled engine. Nate is looking for some serious competition at the Salt Flats/Hillclimbs/Auto Crosses! w/his Type 4 engine/Porsche 5 speed.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495312&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan_72_Type3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

I've been digging for a month or so on the samba. I found that she will need some serious suspension to support modern high way speeds. My biggest confusion is while there are many engine builders for the engines I'm looking at, I can't seem to find one that most people agree upon. I really like lowbugget because they offer a full turnkey, but it seems like they don't support their product or customers very well. I am fairly knowledgable on suspension work, but not very versed on engine build up and tear down. I know at first I would just like to buy a turkey engine and a transmission for her and take it somewhere to have it installed. Anyone have any input?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

5-speed will involve fab work no matter how you do it.
If you figure out how to do 6, you will be the first.

Brakes are typically Porsche or Wilwood, if you are serious.
www.germanlook.net

Of you can stand to grind through 60 pages of drivel,
My build thread shows both the Brembo brakes and the Porsche 5-speed..

Only advice I can offer you is this:
Make sure this Fastback is THE car you really want.
if what you really want is a Pro-Touring '65 GTO convertible,
Or a '55 Corvette,
Or 47 Packard woody wagon,
Do that instead.

What you propose will be just as hard/expensive as anything else,
And worth very little when finished.

97% of (sane) people would simply restore your great grandmother's Fastback to like-new stock condition, and love it for what it is.

What’s That Noise?!?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Build a 200 hp 2276cc,small turbo or Type 4 motor w/4-5 speed in the trunk. Faster & lighter than watercooled! Turbo Bugs turn 7.90's 1/4 miles at Sacramento/Woodburn/SoCal Bug Drags. They couldn't do it with a heavier watercooled engine. Nate is looking for some serious competition at the Salt Flats/Hillclimbs/Auto Crosses! w/his Type 4 engine/Porsche 5 speed.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495312&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Ship you car to Nate M. @ ProVolks in Anacortes, WA. He can build you all speed/handling you want & make your fastback look good! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: FNG researching restoring a 1972 Type 3 Fastback Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
5-speed will involve fab work no matter how you do it.
If you figure out how to do 6, you will be the first.

Brakes are typically Porsche or Wilwood, if you are serious.
www.germanlook.net

Of you can stand to grind through 60 pages of drivel,
My build thread shows both the Brembo brakes and the Porsche 5-speed..

Only advice I can offer you is this:
Make sure this Fastback is THE car you really want.
if what you really want is a Pro-Touring '65 GTO convertible,
Or a '55 Corvette,
Or 47 Packard woody wagon,
Do that instead.

What you propose will be just as hard/expensive as anything else,
And worth very little when finished.

97% of (sane) people would simply restore your great grandmother's Fastback to like-new stock condition, and love it for what it is.

X2 to what he said. Also, the type 3 handles city streets and Interstates pretty well. I've driven almost across country twice in both a Type 3 Notchback, and a Type 34 Karmann Ghia. Both times were in late June (summer) without any AC. I fact I drove the Notch back to Michigan from basically Joplin Missouri non-stop (16.5 hours straight). If you don't mess up the suspension too bad, these cars are actually very comfortable to drive long distances in. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: