Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator Type IV (4)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

porschpow wrote:
Ok, weird, cause on some things, I read it was 13mm, and on other's it read as a 10mm nut

13 mm hex on an 8mm nut on an 8mm stud, with a spring washer Wink I think there's a thicker washer supposed to be there too?
porschpow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Well I just took my bracket out! As it turns out, the top bolt didn't have any washer at all and it was a 13mm bolt!

Bottom Bolt to the heater box was a 17mm
-1986 Honda Magna
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porschpow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
this one?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes this is the one I will be using instead of just a standard nuts and bolt (hence why my adjustment lobe for the bracket was widened.

Should I use a bigger washer than that. It just seems ...insufficient
-1986 Honda Magna
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porschpow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
When you find an allen like that, we used to just snug it up and tap the side of the allen wrench with a mallet, never dented the tin again.- belt nice and tight.
with the Allen key still on the bolt, you tap the side of it? Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but how does that work without you knocking off the Allen key off the bolt
-1986 Honda Magna
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Thanks Mike - I just found a couple sources in Europe who indicate they have some. VW shows some in inventory as well although everyone stateside shows them as discontinued. I placed an order for 10. Will let everyone know when they come in. They will be $4.00 each plus postage when they get here. The dimensions VW gives are a bit thicker than the one that came out of my alternator back plate in pieces. The are 5.7" (sounds about right) x 5.31" (sounds about right) x .039" (sounds thicker than the original but maybe their system only goes down to 1mm or mine compressed with age, moisture, and heat)

a bunch of alternator back plate gaskets came in today. That way I have spares and some to sell. The postage didn't make it worth buying just one.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

$25 each, or two for $40 shipped before you PM me wanting one.
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

How did it go from $4 each to $25? Or what was your source overseas? Or are you the Lone US market now?

Did you use one? I guess what's the feedback on the part in general too?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
How did it go from $4 each to $25? Or what was your source overseas? Or are you the Lone US market now?

Did you use one? I guess what's the feedback on the part in general too?

I priced out what they cost to get here in USD from British Pounds, added what USPS insured mail costs to send them to someone with signature required because I won't be responsible when someone's dog eats it. Subtract what paypal keeps, add $10 for gas and my time to get it down, package it, and drive to the post office. That is how the price came about. Come to my house, knock on the door, and I will hand you one for $5. I have no idea who has or doesn't have them these days. My guess is if they are out there and someone buys several hundred and brings them here then the price will fall. I only bought 10 because paying $15 - $20 USD each to ship them here was stupid. Hopefully someone out there has brought them to this side of the pond and you can find them for less than $10 each shipped. Most of the 10 are accounted for or sold. They were about $1 USD each + $3.50 shipping ($35/10) = $4.50 each. USPS with sig is $9.80 last one I did because if you haven't checked USPS raised their rates not long ago. $5 for my time to get them down and package one, $5 for gas and time to the post office. If I am already going to the post office for something else I don't ask for that $5.

I haven't installed mine yet. They appear to be made to spec, same as what was on the alternator when I took it apart way back. They are good gasket material and those who have bought them wrote back they fit well. They look like they could be genuine. They were probably 70 cents each when new in the 1980's. Several places say they have them but those folks always say they have things then don't so you would have to get on the phone to see if someone has one. The place I got them in England no longer shows them as available. The part number does not even come up. It was VWHeritage. They just appeared as a Classic VW surplus item, I grabbed 10 and they were gone from their website as fast as they showed up. It is like the NOS 74-78 distributors we bought a few years back from VW. When they came up I grabbed one and it was $119 USD shipped here. I think John Tauxe got one for about the same price, maybe Bob Hood got one and then suddenly they were gone. I don't know if when these things come up they have 1000's and suppliers buy them, or whether 4 or 5 are returned from a warehouse being closed somewhere.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Making a gasket from LeeE's design. Anyone have a pic of how its supposed to line up with the alternator? None of the pics show it installed. Thanks!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

I use this to make a gasket,the holes line up and the inside diameter is the same as the alt.it's about .050 thick,it is a front hub gasket for a semi.I trimmed the out side after installing the cover.

1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

[quote="lil-jinx"]I use this to make a gasket,the holes line up and the inside diameter is the same as the alt.it's about .050 thick,it is a front hub gasket for a semi.I trimmed the out side after installing the cover.
[img]https://www.thes.com/vw/galleryquote]

Is that gasket for in between the alternator and back plate? I am really curious about this paper gasket. It seems to me that over time, it would degrade and possibly short out on either B+ terminal any way. UNLESS, the terminal boot is on the post and the little pad is covering the big washer.

I'm trying to understand this whole thing better. Not sure about names, so please advise... Both B+ terminals are connected to the "black half donut." Is it the black paint that is preventing the rest of it from shorting out?

You'll see that my old B+ post looked identical to the new one so I never even considered shaving it off. I connected it and put the boot on it.

Why the heck does the back plate have a spot that reaches so far inward touching the big washer in the first place? You can see my water line across the little rectangular piece that probably would have saved my harness and I'd be out driving right now instead of typing about an alternator harness. I am not out of the woods yet, but I sure have been learning an expensive lesson on alternators. Time and $$

What is the name of this?

Pics of the old harness

Pic of remake with 8 gauge to starter and the rest 16 gauge with butt splices. Any issues with that?

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

is the plug on the end of the harness of the kind that a small pick or screwdriver will let you remove the wire and special connector? I would have gone that way if I had time and could find the metal bits that lock back into the plug. If that is even do-able.
you harness repair looks like it should function.
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
is the plug on the end of the harness of the kind that a small pick or screwdriver will let you remove the wire and special connector? I would have gone that way if I had time and could find the metal bits that lock back into the plug. If that is even do-able.
you harness repair looks like it should function.

Yes, I used a small pic to push the "catch" up. Still working on getting one of them back down... I only wish I would have put the remaining casing on the underneath side. I had already crimped before I noticed. I could do it again, but I'm short one shrink tube. Would wrapping the 12-14" in electrical tape be just as good as the casing?

VW Campmobile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

If you heat your cover up nice and red where the washer is shorting out a couple of beats will a ballpeen will get you sufficient clearance. You could do the same where the studs potentially touch the cover as well.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

That is the type of gasket that i used as a back cover gasket,it is for a semi truck hub cover part # stemco 3009,it is thick and the 3 bolts on the alt fit the holes in the gasket,i trimed it after I installed the cover.
In your picture of the big washer that shorted against the cover,I see a flat side on the washer and it is facing inward,if that washer was turned toward the outside it looks like it would not touch the cover.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
That is the type of gasket that i used as a back cover gasket,it is for a semi truck hub cover part # stemco 3009,it is thick and the 3 bolts on the alt fit the holes in the gasket,i trimed it after I installed the cover.
In your picture of the big washer that shorted against the cover,I see a flat side on the washer and it is facing inward,if that washer was turned toward the outside it looks like it would not touch the cover.

The big washer comes off but it's bare metal under there so it might as well stay. I did play with the ohm meter and all the paint is definitely creating a barrier on the inside. I am going to thoroughly clean and paint my back plate to go the extra mile.

VW Campmobile
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

What do you think about a rubber gasket instead of paper for the back plate since its a good insulator?

VW Campmobile
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

Rubber may be a better insulator,but the cover is bolted on with steel bolts so it would still have a path to ground,
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

But with a thick-ish rubber gasket, there will be no touching of the back plate by the terminals. The purpose of the gasket is not to insulate the plate from the body of the alternator -- it's to move the plate farther away from the B+ terminals.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Type IV (4) Reply with quote

That is why I used the hub cap gasket it is .050 inch thick.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: