Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

$&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-(
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

Wolfsburg west sells a good repro boot, it's sold under the Beetle listing but it looks identical to the pic above.

I hate to see alternator topics pop up now.. I cringe inside every time I see a new thread. Kind of like aerosurfer's engine fire last month.. sometimes doing your best is still not good enough

WW generator boot
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

Drool
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Well I just got the engine apart to inspect the alternator and sure enough the back cover shorted out on the wide washer… It wasn't even the long stud which I had trimmed… So whoever said wide washer, you win! Now I just need to figure out what I'm gonna do with this alternator…

Damn it! This just happened to me, and I even knew about the problem. I shortened the bolt, but this time it was the washer. Apparently, based on my own comments earlier in this thread, I should have been aware of the problem (ah, memory, how I miss you) but I had no first-hand experience with the washer and did not think to check it.

Like Doug's experience, it did not happen straight away, but out in the middle of a test drive. Smoke and sparks! I'm lucky not to have lost the rig, given how close that wire to the starter is to fuel lines.

And, indeed, this was a Bosch rebuilt alternator, in a Bosch box and everything.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

Argh, sort to hear that! On the plus side the only resulting damage I found on mine was a harness that had burned out in one place. With the remaining wires I was able to model a new one, and that's been working out well (along with the other things I did to avoid the short). Let me know if yours is cooked beyond recognition and I can share my cooked one with you. Also, I think Bus Depot sells the harness.

Hope this helps!

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

I also did mine last week and absolutely scorched my harness and boots. My B+ post with the boot looked identical to the one I took out so I thought i was good. I believe it has to be the other post(wider washer you are referring to?)connected to the black rectangular pack that shorted it out? Not sure what that's called. It wasnt til i pulled it out again today that I saw the flat non conductive piece that i didnt switch out and was still on my old one. I'll put my pics up tomorrow so I can get your feedback.

I tried to order a new harness on Monday and BD said it's back ordered and no idea when it'll be available. Going to start an all out search tomorrow.

That is a scary 60 secs when that smoke starts and the wire back to the starter is lava red.

Thanks in advance!

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

OMG yes it is very scary!

That's probably my only complaint about BD, that (the website, at least) doesn't show actual stock availability, and their backorders can stretch for months.

The harness is easy enough to make if there's enough left of yours to use as a model. If you do make one take the time while you're at it and make an extra.

- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

I am returning two of the BD harnesses that I had purchased, so they will be back in stock soon. Smile Note that they are not like the photo on their web site -- it is just the wires and insulation. No terminals, and no boots.

However, if your terminals and boots survived the electrocution (probably did) then you can use the BD harness with your old parts and build a new one.

Doug -- Are you saying that your alternator actually survived the electrocution?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

I bought a couple of new aftermarket harnesses at a show for something like $10 each. Had boots and grommets that appeared stock. Don't know who made them but would highly recommend their purchase and use. Sorry don't have any more info on them.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I bought a couple if new aftermarket harnesses at a show for something like $10 each. Had boots and grommets that appeared stock. Don't know who made them would would highly recommend their purchase and use. Sorry don't have any more info on them.

So you have them for sale?(if so, i will paypal you $ tonight) Or just saying they are out there in vw land? Definitely don't want to wait for a maybe when the shows start. I was going to try and make one because it's my daily and sucks using my backup cherokee.

VW Campmobile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

ac78 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I bought a couple if new aftermarket harnesses at a show for something like $10 each. Had boots and grommets that appeared stock. Don't know who made them would would highly recommend their purchase and use. Sorry don't have any more info on them.

So you have them for sale?(if so, i will paypal you $ tonight) Or just saying they are out there in vw land? Definitely don't want to wait for a maybe when the shows start. I was going to try and make one because it's my daily and sucks using my backup cherokee.

Sorry, I only bought a couple for myself. Don't remember that there was any info from the manufacture on them but will check when I am next home.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
On the plus side...

HA!

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
the BD harness with your old parts and build a new one.

Doug -- Are you saying that your alternator actually survived the electrocution?

Yes, it did. The wires gave out first...both the alternator and voltage regulator survived.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

I'm putting everything back together today and wanted to check one thing. I couldn't find the thread again but I think someone had replied that you should take the double nut post down the a single nut and then saw off the excess. Is that the preferred method even if the post length matches my old one? I am just trying to be the most cautious possible so I don't have to do this a 3rd time. Wink

VW Campmobile
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: $&@&$ Alternator Terminal :-( Reply with quote

Hey all! I decided to wait another day to put everything back together to make a video to help prevent others from doing the same thing. Please check it out to see if I've covered everything. If there are critical pieces I missed I can do it again.

https://youtu.be/W8_thFzpyxw

Thanks!

VW Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: