Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Pin Terminals from Wiring Connectors
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwnYourReality wrote:
The ice pick hasn't failed me yet. If you look you can see where the tabs are on the sides that need to be pushed in. I work the pick down that side, move the handle so it pushes against the tab & rock the connector so that tab stays in by having the edge of it below the plastic housing. Then repeat on the other side. Even if you bend it in too far, when you get it out it's a simple thing to put it back into place. Might be able to do the rocking motion with the tool too?

So, which end are you inserting the pick into? The front (connector) side or the back (wire) side?

From the connector side, I can't see the ears clearly. The clearance is minimal - maybe .5mm? I certainly couldn't fit anything close to the thickness of an ice pick in there. Even a large paper clip might be too thick.

From the wire side I have a hard time seeing anything either. It's made more difficult because I can't get a good approach at the backside of the connector - there's not enough give in the wires to flip the connector around.

If it matters, this is on a 90 Carat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is THE trick.

Hold the connector in one hand. Push the wire in from behind with the other. Feel the slop? Keep the wire pushed up. Put the tool in. Twist the tool. Push the tool from the connector side. Push the wire in. Twist. Push.......

Now the tabs should release.

It takes FEELING!

I have the offical AMP tools too. They only work slightly better.

You are trying to get the tabs to push in to the tube and bend back.

So then you can twist and eventually the wire will just pop out.

Try it. Like it?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)

Last edited by r39o on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:

Yeah, I bent the tool back enough (aluminum, apparently). It's creased, but it's far enough out that the tool still inserts completely. Good idea to try and shim it w/ an alum. can. If that doesn't work (or I have to stop because I've cut my fingertips off), maybe I'll try looking for some brass tubing or something.

The barrel of my tool is certainly thin - probably about the wall thickness of an aluminum can. Wheras the retaining "step" in the connector's barrel is perhaps twice that thickness or more (hard to see). Any guesstimation, Allistair, of the wall-thickness of your homemade tool - compared to an alum. can?

Thanks again. Will report back.

Gimme a sec, I'll check it out.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
OwnYourReality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go from the connector side, not the back / wire side, for the same reason - no room to work & from that angle the ears are spreading out towards u if that makes sense. From the connector end the ears are spreading out away from you. I wiggle the tip down the side of the barrel. As for seeing the ears from that view on some connectors it's been easier to see their position from looking right down the barrel, you can see where they protrude out to the sides. The barrel will give some & allow the tip to contact the ear so you can push it in. If it's too tough, you could use a dental pick or something similar without the thickness of the ice pick.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try it. Like it?

I tried that too. Sad
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured both the "small" and "large" molex type tools I made.

small - 7/64" ID (0.1063"), 0.135" OD

large - 11/64" ID (0.1719"), 0.205" OD (note: fits quite snugly into plastic block)

I made the ID's with drill, that explains the fractional dimension. The OD's I made empirically, on lathe, testing fit on Audi plastic block connector.

alistair
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

Ok, I tried shimming the tool I have w/ a slice from an aluminum can. It wasn't really working - maybe if I spent enough time with it I could have gotten it right. But not wanting to mess about with that anymore...

I tried some 1/8" brass tubing I found at OSH. It had a 3.175mm O.D. and 2.825mm I.D. According to the specs of Allistair's tool (thanks!!!), this should have been very close to working, and at the very least fit. But, while the O.D. fit (w/ some slight play), the I.D. was too small and wouldn't clear the pin... Which doesn't really make sense compared to Allistair's numbers.

I made a half-assed attempt at reaming it out the brass tube w/ a dremel. I made a little headway... but it just didn't seem like I was gonna work.

*Sigh*... So, I went back to the original tool I bought for another try, twisting and pulling as r390 suggested. Not working. Although, with the tool's perfectly cylindrical/smooth barrel, I'm not really sure what the twisting does in this case...?

Anyway, next I tried pinching the end of the tool's barrel slightly to ovalize it somewhat. The idea being to make the I.D. a little smaller - at least on two sides to better compress the ears. This time, w/ r390's twist/pull technique the ears would compress more when the narrower part of the ovalized barrel came around. And after a couple revolutions of trying... BINGO - the wire finally pulled out!

So, in the end, I was able to pull the wires I wanted... but it was still a hack that required a bit of futzing to make work. But then, it wouldn't be my life it was easy. Smile Thanks for all the help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

must have felt good when you finally succeeded. I went out and did a quick measurement of one of the connectors... the flare at the very end is about 0.106" diameter. Its a fairly close fit into my homemade tool which I measure an ID of 0.1063"

That ID measurement was made by seeing which diameter transfer punch I could get into it. Not the most accurate way, and I doubt that the 7/64" (0.1063") drill I must have used does indeed drill a hole exactly that diameter. But the tool works, and I now think that I was pretty fortunate to get it right.

alistair
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Pin Terminals from Wiring Connectors Reply with quote

chimivee wrote:
Pardon my ignorance regarding the proper terminology, but...

How do you remove those barrel pin terminal thingy's from the wiring connectors at the fuse/relay block? Specifically, I need to pull a couple of the smaller terminals along the outside of this connector:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there a readily available tool for this? I can't seem to fit anything much thicker than a piece of paper in there to release the catch that I assume retains it.

If removing them isn't the best option, what is the name/size of the replacement terminal I'd need?

Thanks for any help.
Back to the original post, does anyone have a source for both the larger and smaller connectors, both male and female? I have tried looking at DigiKey and Moser, but there are so many that look almost the same. Thanks for any suggestions!
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to add that a sewing needle is great tool for pin terminal work. Forget the paperclip or regular pick. Sewing needles are super sharp, thin and strong. Jam one into a piece of scrap wood or glued between two popsicle sticks and you've got a handle. Now you can reach down and release those pesky plastic tabs. Working like a charm on the Subaru harness I'm building on right now. I do have a set of the correct release tools and they are just okay. I often still turn to the sewing needle as my tool of choice, and it's the only terminal tool in my travel tool kit.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYLE automotive spec wrote:
Here is the tool that I use for the small terminals, and it's not that expensive

http://parts.digikey.ca/1/1/6258-contact-extraction-tool-305183.html

I haven't found an affordable option for removing the larger teminals. The tool I use is more than $50.

Another bump on this old thread, and +1 for the tool above. Probably more expensive per pound than caviar, but worth every penny nonetheless (after hours of aggravation with poor home-made tools) - thanks for the link Kyle. AMP now goes by the name "TE Connectivity", here are the new links on Digikey Canada & US:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/305183/A1329-ND/15640
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/305183/A1329-ND/15640
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Pin Terminals from Wiring Connectors Reply with quote

**BUMP**

GreenMachineVW wrote:
chimivee wrote:
Pardon my ignorance regarding the proper terminology, but...

[removed the quote asking on how to remove]

If removing them isn't the best option, what is the name/size of the replacement terminal I'd need?

Thanks for any help.
Back to the original post, does anyone have a source for both the larger and smaller connectors, both male and female? I have tried looking at DigiKey and Moser, but there are so many that look almost the same. Thanks for any suggestions!

Resurrecting an old thread on the pin connectors to the terminal block. I've got the same question as GreenMachineVW - anyone know what is the correct size/model/type female connector to crimp on the wire and insert into the terminal block?

Specifically the smaller ones, but be great to learn both.

Thanks, Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Pin Terminals from Wiring Connectors Reply with quote

Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/electrical/t...emale.html
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Pin Terminals from Wiring Connectors Reply with quote

This VanCafe connector is for the back of the 86-91 fuse panel and comes with 2 of each size female pin.

https://www.vancafe.com/171971997-p/171971997.htm

Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Pin Terminals from Wiring Connectors Reply with quote

beach_creature wrote:
Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/electrical/t...emale.html

Exactly that. I’m assuming this is the smaller one. Now to find on this in North America. Great to have a link here.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
This VanCafe connector is for the back of the 86-91 fuse panel and comes with 2 of each size female pin.

https://www.vancafe.com/171971997-p/171971997.htm

Mark

Even better - if it includes the pins as noted then it looks like it might be both sizes (and might be a cookie involved Cool). I’ll query them as to wether those pins are the sized to fit in the red, blue, yellow, white and black multi terminals to and post back for posterity.

Thanks guys! Complimentary beers next trip to Alaska.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Pin Terminals from Wiring Connectors Reply with quote

Learned the ID number for the smaller 1.4mm lock-in connector female pins - 1-66358-6

Example on Digikey website here

syncroAustralia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Pin Terminals from Wiring Connectors Reply with quote

The correct tools are made by Wurth. They also sell the terminals.

A few of my friends have had success using an old car aerial to remove the terminals.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pjlander/volkswagen_syncro.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: