Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint code - no luck
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

So I have a 1971 ghia I found in a barn. It's been painted several times and it looks like the OG color was a blue, but it's hard to tell. There is no label with the paint code on it in the trunk and I can't find anything anywhere else. Short of ordering the birth certificate, is there any way to figure it out? Possibly a paint code hiding where I don't know about it.

Also, is there any way to just view your Ghia birth certificate? I know that you can order one, but with all this modern technology you would think you could go to a site and enter the VIN to get a pic of it.
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

You could get a general idea of which blue it should be by searching your chassis#/vin in the technical section of the site, it has paint codes by vin range.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

Thanks! Looks to be Gemini Metallic. Now I just need to research what that actually looks like with modern paint.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

You can also look on the shelf behind the rear seat (under the carpet) the color is often written there in German.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

steveoutlaw wrote:
Also, is there any way to just view your Ghia birth certificate? I know that you can order one, but with all this modern technology you would think you could go to a site and enter the VIN to get a pic of it.

No they are made to order based on factory records
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:

Understand. I was just hoping that the database they use to get the information to make them could be accessed and you could search the information yourself. Not sure I want to waste $75 on a piece of paper.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

$75 and a 8 month wait.

You can look up behind dash, under carpet, below glove box, behind the door cards...anyplace that is difficult to paint. There is usually plenty of evidence if you look hard enough. Also as already mentioned they wrote the color on the back tray.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

steveoutlaw wrote:
I was just hoping that the database they use to get the information to make them could be accessed and you could search the information yourself. Not sure I want to waste $75 on a piece of paper.

I don't they they have uploaded the details of the millions of VW's produced over the last 70 years onto a database that you can search online for free. Someone has to search and find the information and that's why they charge $75.
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

How about L50E Adratic Blue
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

steveoutlaw wrote:
Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:

Understand. I was just hoping that the database they use to get the information to make them could be accessed and you could search the information yourself. Not sure I want to waste $75 on a piece of paper.

It would be a hugely time consuming and labour intensive operation as the database they have is held on microfiche. I believe there is just one lady who sits and ruins her eyesight squinting at an often incomplete and hard to read record.

Good value for $75 when you consider it's the only place you can get your information. Can you imagine the outcry if they stopped offering the service. It ain't a top money earner for VAG at the moment so get it while you can. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

/\ X2

Absolutely a good value and be glad that you can even get the information!

As an example try to obtain information like this for a pre-1967 Corvette. Somebody at GM thought that production records were not worth keeping for these cars and tossed them. They don't exist. A real plus for people who put together bogus cars.
steveoutlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong folks, it is awesome that this is available. I was just looking for a shortcut and hoping that someone had digitized the records. Looks like I'll have to go through the birth certificate process, I was just trying to see if I could find out my OG color without having to wait 8 months to determine the color.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

I've been following your thread from the beginning. The problem starts here, I think, where you said,

"...with all this modern technology you would think you could go to a site and enter the VIN to get a pic of it..."

I think modern technology and our cars are not quite compatible. I agree with Mellow Yellow about the cost/value of the certificate. I think the certificate adds value to the car as evidence of its provenance, especially as far as its original colour, date of manufacture and destination are concerned. The certificate also lists some details about accessories and other details that make each car unique.

It's that information which makes it worth the fee. And as the difference between a $5 and a $500 note demonstrates, the value of a piece of paper is determined by what's written on it, and its author.

Could we have some pics of your car please?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint code - no luck Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just trying to see if I could find out my OG color without having to wait 8 months to determine the color.

There are ways to figure it out you just have to take the time and look. There are very, very few ghias with resprays that have COMPLETE color changes. Look where it would be difficult to paint. Have you removed interior door panels? Looked up under the dash, above radio? under gas tank, wheel wells, behind the sound deadening in the engine area..... 99% of the time these cars were not valuable enough to pay a painter to remove everything for a paint job. They also rarely did "down to the metal" prep work. Since you plan to paint it...you can slowly sand off the current paint and find out what is underneath. Original color would be the last color before you get to the gray/white VW primer. Very Happy Good luck.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: