Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

I have a '65 1200 40hp. Just gave it a tune-up and wanted to get anew carb. I am in the process or sourcing parts to make it a 1385. What carb upgrade would help wake it up until that time. Would a 30 PICT do or something larger. Would prefer to have something that is usable now and after I rebuild to a 1385.

Are there decent dual carb options still available with little to no fabrication for SP heads?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

30 PICT2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

Any particular reason?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

It works with the factory 1200 distributor, and it is easy to work with. you could use a newer 31 PICT3 too. but then you would have to swop distributor too, and the difference in performance will be minor if any, because the restriction will be in the 1200 intake manifold.

if you want to go dual carbs, there are several vintage suppliers over here that make and sell manifolds for 1200 heads and varius carb solutions. I do not know about the US though. On the other hand, they are not that difficult to fabricate for a skilled steel guy.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

Can I throw in my 2 cents? I did the 1385 upgrade in my 65 1200 a couple years ago. Was hoping to keep the stock 28 PICT1 carb if possible, but it was no problem if I needed to step up. I have various 30 and 34 series carbs. Put the car on a chassis dyno and found the stock jetting to be real lean. Kept increasing the main jet size until I had a nice A/F ratio. Amazingly I ended up with a really big main. I dont have my log here, but I am pretty sure I ended up with a 130 main, which I think was about the same as the air jet.

The car runs VERY well. Feels about the same as a stock 1600. BUT I do still have the stock transaxle, so it is geared a little shorter than a later car would be.

And the exhaust not is kind of cool when I get on it...Much throatier. When I started tuning, the exhaust had a much thinner sound to it.

If I am at the shop tomorrow, I will find my log and check the main size.
Oh - and I am running one of Glenn's 019 distributors. I do have one or two stock ones that I may try at some point. Was running a Brazilian 009 and it just wasnt as smooth.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

30Pict2 or 30pict3 would be my choices, or an H30/31 in good shape would work. Grab a vacuum-only dizzy (I like the 205k or 205m personally) if you don't already have one.

Do you have 40 horse heads or regular later style (1300/1500) single port heads? 1300 heads will work with a pair of ICT Weber carbs if jetted properly.

I had a 1385 with 1300 heads and ICT's in a 66 beetle a while back. Tractor torque in a light early car. it was a placeholder engine until I finished up a 1600, but sold the car and engine before building and swapping.

Put some oil bath air cleaners on it, rock the vintage speed look. Surprised

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
It works with the factory 1200 distributor, and it is easy to work with. you could use a newer 31 PICT3 too. but then you would have to swop distributor too, and the difference in performance will be minor if any, because the restriction will be in the 1200 intake manifold.

if you want to go dual carbs, there are several vintage suppliers over here that make and sell manifolds for 1200 heads and varius carb solutions. I do not know about the US though. On the other hand, they are not that difficult to fabricate for a skilled steel guy.

T

I should have mentioned that I have an 009 mechanical dizzy and not the original. I purchased this 1200 last year and the PO said it was "stock" wont really know until I split the case and go through everything. Where is "over here" and does "over here" ship to US?

andk5591 wrote:
Can I throw in my 2 cents? I did the 1385 upgrade in my 65 1200 a couple years ago. Was hoping to keep the stock 28 PICT1 carb if possible, but it was no problem if I needed to step up. I have various 30 and 34 series carbs. Put the car on a chassis dyno and found the stock jetting to be real lean. Kept increasing the main jet size until I had a nice A/F ratio. Amazingly I ended up with a really big main. I dont have my log here, but I am pretty sure I ended up with a 130 main, which I think was about the same as the air jet.

The car runs VERY well. Feels about the same as a stock 1600. BUT I do still have the stock transaxle, so it is geared a little shorter than a later car would be.

And the exhaust not is kind of cool when I get on it...Much throatier. When I started tuning, the exhaust had a much thinner sound to it.

If I am at the shop tomorrow, I will find my log and check the main size.
Oh - and I am running one of Glenn's 019 distributors. I do have one or two stock ones that I may try at some point. Was running a Brazilian 009 and it just wasnt as smooth.

Would love to see the logs..I am running a stock jet (122.5 I think). What heads and cam did you use for your build? So many options and variations out there would appreciate seeing what you did since you have the dyno numbers to back it up.

Lingwendil wrote:
30Pict2 or 30pict3 would be my choices, or an H30/31 in good shape would work. Grab a vacuum-only dizzy (I like the 205k or 205m personally) if you don't already have one.

Do you have 40 horse heads or regular later style (1300/1500) single port heads? 1300 heads will work with a pair of ICT Weber carbs if jetted properly.

I had a 1385 with 1300 heads and ICT's in a 66 beetle a while back. Tractor torque in a light early car. it was a placeholder engine until I finished up a 1600, but sold the car and engine before building and swapping.

Put some oil bath air cleaners on it, rock the vintage speed look. Surprised

I haven't taken a really close look but I believe they are later style 40hm heads. Didn't know the 1300 heads would fit w/o machining. If that is the case - didn't they make 1300/1500 DP heads? Would those also bolt on?? That would open up a whole new catalog of dual carbs.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

good luck finding 1300 dual port heads that are in affordable decent shape here in the US, they weren't put in US spec cars.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 28 PICT-1 replacement for a 40hp 1200 to 1385 rebuild Reply with quote

I have the "65" square boss heads. Other than a standard valve job, nothing special. Running stock exhaust and that may be hurting me a little, but wanted to keep the car as stock as possible. Will try to remember the log book tomorrow, but the jetting was a huge difference. I found and older post I did about it and 130 main was what I used. I saw a comment that when I went bigger than that, it really hurt and kind of remembered that happening. And yeah, these things are jetted pretty small. Yours sounds about what I started with.

Some folks don't really realize how much of a difference a couple steps in size can make.

I think I mentioned that I have a stock geared transaxle, so even though the car is still pulling strong at 65, I don't like taking it above that very much. Just as a butt dyno observation - when it was stock, I would be grabbing 3rd about 3/4 up this long hill and just making the top at 40-45. Now I pull the whole way up at 60 in 4th with the big bore and the jetting. A late car with a 1600 DP will almost do the same.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: