Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Hi. Beautiful car. I've been following quietly in the background but after the last post I would be interested to know what your solution was to getting 12v from the early Dynamo style. Rewind to 12v?
I'm interested as I face the same dilemma with my '58 in the future.
Thanks.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

kgj wrote:
Hi. Beautiful car. I've been following quietly in the background but after the last post I would be interested to know what your solution was to getting 12v from the early Dynamo style. Rewind to 12v?
I'm interested as I face the same dilemma with my '58 in the future.
Thanks.

The generator that I have in there is one of the VW 14v units. From what I have read they were on the 36hp engines used for industrial purposes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Did a little more paint polishing then I decided to move to the interior.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ran out of clips but the headliner already has very few wrinkles. I used 96 clips so far and I am only about at 60% coverage.
I will attempt do glue one section at a time.

I also detailed the front nose emblem. I scuffed with 320 grit silica carbide paper then I treated those areas with phosphoric acid. After rinsing and drying I sprayed the areas with a Satin Nickle paint.
Hopefully it will stick.
Time to put another day or two into glass polishing Evil or Very Mad Then another, then another.......................................................
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Nice work on your one piece badge.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Went out to my friends place, Evan Evans of off road fame, and welded up a few items.
When installing the signal switch I realized that part of the wire loom cover was missing, the part that slides under the steering tube grommet. Luckily I found it in the bag of "whats this stuff" LOL and he welded it back on. I will clean it up and get some color back on it.
He also extended the arm that controls the fuel tap so I could place the mount where I need it.
Two more to dos off the list
Thank you Evan.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

The fuel tap extension and switch wire loom cover is painted and installed.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Just need to button up the corners and the headliner is in.
I am pleased for my first attempt at a headliner. The parcel tray is giving me a few problems but they should be hard to see when completed.
Back to glass polishing tomorrow.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: glass polish update Reply with quote

After a full day of polishing on the same window I have come to a few conclusions.
The stone polishing pads are expensive, semi effective and can cause more damage that good.
If you can afford a high speed sander/polisher that would be much easier to control than a drill. Dual action may be good for final polish and better on paint but on glass it does not seem to work.
Wet dry paper disc, good flow of water, start at 200 grit if the scratches are deep. Go to 400 then 800 then 1000.
At that point Cerium Oxide and a wool polishing pad seems to get the best shine of all the variations I have tried.
When you are sanding to the bottom of a scratch with the strongest cut grit, don't move to the next grit until that scratch is GONE. Paint will continue to cut down as you move up in grit but this glass will not. Make sure the scratch is gone or after many hours of work you will realize you are going to be starting over from the beginning and all those hours were wasted.
Pain killers as needed at the end of the day Wink
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: more about the glass Reply with quote

Well, the door glass that looked terrible at 20 feet now is pretty good at 2 feet.
I ditched the 6 inch pads and went with 3 inch. I used the Maguires 3000 grit pads with cerium oxide to get smoothed out as fast as possible. After the glass was smooth I then finished it off with a wool pad and cerium oxide. On the windshield I will need to go slower as this can build up some heat if not kept totally wet.
Now I get to go up into the attic and pull down more glass.
I sure hope I have better news with the remaining pieces. Confused
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: more about the glass Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Well, the door glass that looked terrible at 20 feet now is pretty good at 2 feet.
I ditched the 6 inch pads and went with 3 inch. I used the Maguires 3000 grit pads with cerium oxide to get smoothed out as fast as possible. After the glass was smooth I then finished it off with a wool pad and cerium oxide. On the windshield I will need to go slower as this can build up some heat if not kept totally wet.
Now I get to go up into the attic and pull down more glass.
I sure hope I have better news with the remaining pieces. Confused

Your selfless sacrifice of time and the chronicling of it will save others countless hours. I'm not sure that will make your arm ache any less. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: more about the glass Reply with quote

"Your selfless sacrifice of time and the chronicling of it will save others countless hours. I'm not sure that will make your arm ache any less. Wink"

It took me over an hour to eat dinner tonight, I could barely feed myself my arms hurt so bad. Confused

Got the other glass down tonight. Windshield will be a bit of work. It is not laminated so I won't be as concerned about heat. All the other pieces look pretty good. I have a laminated windshield but when I cleaned it I discovered that there was an internal chip between the layers. Evil or Very Mad

I really want to give the door glass one more shot............. Shocked
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

The 6 glass windows look glassy again. I applied all I learned with the side windows to tackle the windshield.
My disc I purchased from the stone polisher were already shot so I had an idea to use the wet/dry paper I had sitting around. I cut round pieces and used the 3m adhesive for attaching sanding disc on the 3 inch pad. I started with 320 and sanded until I could no longer see the scratch when holding the glass at an angle to the sun. I then worked outward and moved to 400 grit in attempt to minimize any lensing that may occur. Patience to get to the bottom of the scratch is the main thing here. I went straight from the 400 to the cerium oxide powder. That step went very quickly. Get a lot of the stuff and keep the slurry wet and full of cerium. I used a 3 inch wool pad. The results can be amazing.
Shear force of will kept me going. I did not go for absolute perfection though I do believe it is possible. You must get close to see the remaining defects.
I abandoned the 6 inch pads as I could not prevent it from oscillating. When that happened, if an edge caught, it caused scratches that were harder to remove than what I started with. In fact, over half the time I spent on these windows, was trying to remove scratches from the six inch hippity hop. Twisted Evil
I am now assembling the side window scrapers using the stainless inner supports I had made. After assembling the first I can see why the windows are so scratched. I am pondering a way to cover the exposed metal lip, hopefully to prevent the exposed metal from contacting the glass in the future.
I will post a few pictures of the parts and assembled units. It took me a while to figure out how it all went together but I will not be defeated LOL.
Now the part that left me mumbling in the middle of the road and doing the pill rolling thing with the right hand. I decided to fire up the car and let her purr a little while. Kept cutting off. Tracked the wires all around. I suspect it is the wire on the ignition switch that goes to the coil. These screw terminals I have a feeling are going to be annoying. I then decided to do a light check. Everything worked when I shut if off last time. No blinkers Evil or Very Mad I did remember that I had taken off the signal switch and covered the rear lights, so I will track that down tomorrow AGAIN LOL.
Time to go mumble out in the middle of the road again. I hear it entertains the neighbors Confused
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

OK everything works again. Motor fires right up and purrrrs.
Started assembling the window scrapers with my stainless retainers. They fit Cool
Installed the scraper and inner felt on the drivers door.
It appears I am going to need to get multiple parts re-chromed AGAIN before I can finish off the doors and windows.
It looks like adjusting the door glass to fit is going to be a challenge as there are around 15 separate bolts, screws et cetera involved in getting these things to fit.
Here are some picts of the scraper assembly and a dirty window resting in place.

kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I love the detail. Don't know if I missed the making of but how did you make the stainless retainers? I don't suppose you made a couple of spares you could sell to a fellow 58 owner?
Regards.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

kgj wrote:
Thanks for posting this. I love the detail. Don't know if I missed the making of but how did you make the stainless retainers? I don't suppose you made a couple of spares you could sell to a fellow 58 owner?
Regards.
I had 20 sets made and I believe I have three sets left private message me if interested
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Popcorn
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Second door glass is in.
I learned that you must install the window scraper assembly first, then you install the inner felt.
Slide the glass down through the slot, front part down in there first, then lower it down into the cradle.

I took just the front/rear windshield trim and the bottom sections of the quarter windows to get repaired and re chromed. Having to sell stuff to pay for it. When I get some more money then I will take in the other pieces that are just too bad to use. I would advise that you don't use a chrome shop that you have not seen work for multiple cars done by the shop. Difficult to do but you will cut your cost in half in the long run.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

While everything else is at a stand still I decided to go ahead with the seat covers.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

You must be one of SMS's only satisfied customers. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Satisfied? NO! No way! Nope! ............ and Awe hell no!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: