Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

You DO know that will blow dirty air right inside the air cleaner don't you?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Dusty, we're going to have to meet up so understand my sense of humor.

Update on the spare motor: shot a generator bearing on the 14 in newhall. Ran 274* from Newhall to Vacaville and I'll probably be going to Portland tomorrow.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Dusty, we're going to have to meet up so understand my sense of humor.

Update on the spare motor: shot a generator bearing on the 14 in newhall. Ran 274* from Newhall to Vacaville and I'll probably be going to Portland tomorrow.

I saw your "blower" idea..just want to make sure you're kiidding and not serious about it. Cool

So you broke down right in the NukaCola and Corney neighborhood...

Back in the 70s and 80s there were a few VW shops in Newhall you could have gone to for emergency fix, and several offroad racers (including me) living in the area. But we've pretty much all moved away since then. Rolling Eyes
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Laughing I'm smarter than you average cinder block. Though I did see a bug for sale that was venting the charcoal canister to the breather vent. dude only wanted $10k...

I stopped at my buddy's place, NukaCola needs to stop furthering his damn education and off-road with me. Damn millennials.

Actually, there is a place in Newhall that does sell bearings. I have the address somewhere, or Asiab3 does at the least.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter

Last edited by Brian on Wed May 18, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Quote:
Laughing I'm smarter than you're average cinder block.

Wink
Yup...I DO believe that in general you are... But WE ALL have moments when that average cinder block would totally kick our asses in astro physics. ... BTDT Embarassed

Laughing

Just makin sure it wasn't one of those
Idea Arrow Embarassed
moments, ya know.

Cool
SoCalBajas Member
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Given the problems you've had lately, you just keep putting miles on it. I hope I can build up that level of determination. So far I have been putting around no father than I can walk home. Oh yeah, did I mention I was driving the Bug again? Laughing Needs new rear tires so I can go faster than 55mph, and a front bumper and she should be set for summer.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

The miles just keep coming man. I'll upload some pictures when I can, got to some cool places today. Yesterday I took the pulley off and found that my woodruff key went mia, so that may explain the heat in the oil. Seemed to do fine today, nominal temps that floated around 200-210.

Nuka, it's all about the adventure man. You'll get there, just start breaking stuff so you can fix it Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

So far my travels have taken me from Oceanside to Newhall to Vacaville to Arcata back down to Vacaville. Sooooooooo much driving, thank goodness for ear plugs.

When I got to Vacaville I swore that my tires were going to melt before the motor.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This morning I left a friend's place in Arcata, I decided to take the Valley of the Giants. It is so worth taking the scenic route no matter how long it takes. This bg just keeps puttin' on.

Also if you are taking the scenic route, there is a tiny little sign that says "Drive on bar"

Also stopped in Leggett to get some Peg House, with good company Wink

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I have a bunch of relatives in that area...Ureka, Fortuna, Arcata, Ferndale, etc...But for some reason, I've never been there, even though I'd love to go. Maybe now that my wife and I have retired.
SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Dusty, my father has taken me to the redwoods since I was a young squirt. It is definitely worth seeing, lots of touristy stuff to see and great places to camp.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Made it home, somehow. Where did I leave, off? Oh I was in the redwoods. So I made it back down to Vacaville to meet up with friends and head out to a camping trip. They have a '70 Westy that is just rusted to shit, nice bus but will return to the earth in 5 years. We made it out to Guerneville to a VW only campout, this site opens up a week early just for VWs. I of course brought my tools and some anti-seize so I was able to grease and seize my doors.

After the camping trip I took the 101 down through San Fran and headed down to Pismo Beach.

So much driving, sooo much driving. sooooo much driving, but I made it home somehow. Not really sure, but the 1641 consumed 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles which is very impressive. I averaged about 26 MPG over the course of driving all over California.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Awesome. There's a Route 66 car show in Canyon Country next Saturday and then hitting the beach that Sunday to celebrate after finals. Dancing
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Pomona is also next Sunday, I'll more than likely be there. Or hit me up if you wanna go surfing.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
EnjoyNukaCola
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I wasn't planning on it next weekend. I'll more likely than not be going to school there by September so I'll become a regular.
skorchindustries
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I wanna go surfing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Pomona is also next Sunday, I'll more than likely be there. Or hit me up if you wanna go surfing.

More than likely? I bought you exactly half a swap spot. You better at least half be there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Well, new motor is coming along nicely. This thing should be a beast once it's dialed in. I was talking with my engine builder and we were discussing what type of motor would best be fit for my needs. He knows I like to hit the dirt but will be driving a lot of off road. So the main goal was torque and driveability. He was telling me about this 4 seater sandrail that came in with a mystery motor. Ended up having a single carb with a 2275 single port, said it pulled way too hard for what the combo was. So I decided to let him build me a nasty single port motor, what I got back was a 2007cc with single port heads. I was speaking with a guy from across the pond who has done many 34 pict carbs on some strokers and had great results. I ordered a 34 from Tim at Volksbitz and had him mill out the venturi to allow more air. My original plan was to use a complete single port manifold and weld a 34 pict flange on top, but I didn't line them up properly and the oil bath filter hit the shroud. So I got a dp center section and cut my sp manifold to make some end castings. I'm on the lookout for trick ends and refuse to use the EMPI ones. For the filter I used a '68 filter and destroyed the inside of it to fit a K&N filter and a UNI over filter. After the break in I'm going to be using a 1:1.25 rockers on the intakes to help with air flow on the stock cam. This motor also has a type 4 cooler in a fuel injected shroud. Hoover bit was modified as well as the flaps. I couldn't use the cross link for the flaps so I decided to weld the 3/4 side and cut out the flaps in the 1/2 side while using the thermostat for the preheat cable that runs to the air cleaner. I ended up getting a new fuel pump from Vintage Werks, well worth the money for a real fuel pump. Halfway through the break in right now. I had to gringing a shit ton off the filter pump so the tin would stop scraping. So far so good.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

So... Why all the extra displacement with single port heads & (relatively) stock carb? The carb will effectively be at wide open throttle at idle & will be the rev limiter for the engine (which is great if you're worried about over revving.).

& you might want to put clamps on the inner side of the intake boots.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
So... Why all the extra displacement with single port heads & (relatively) stock carb? The carb will effectively be at wide open throttle at idle & will be the rev limiter for the engine (which is great if you're worried about over revving.).

& you might want to put clamps on the inner side of the intake boots.

Super stock brah. I like that shit. Excellent trebajo Brian.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

All good on the rev limiter, I got a 4800 limiter. Wink

But in all seriousness, I really don't think it's the fact that it's a single port that will limit it. The combo itself won't make a lot of HP, torque will be the plenty but stock cam, stock heads and single carb. It should work out well, I hope, and serve me for a long time. I can always go to DP if I really need to as the heads I have now were not expensive. Super stock!

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: