Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Megasquirt Bosch PWM idle valve
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmiletics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Megasquirt Bosch PWM idle valve Reply with quote

I replaced the stock ecu on my fuel injected 77 Beeltle with a Megasquirt ecu and kept the stock plenum. I have been using a simple on/off valve to control fast idle for warmup but want to change it to a Bosch PWM valve so I can vary idle speed as the engine warms. Has anyone had success with setting up a bosche valve? What Tunerstudio settings have worked for you? Thanks for the help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt Bosch PWM idle valve Reply with quote

Very clean Vert... Looks really good...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt Bosch PWM idle valve Reply with quote

When I had my Rabbit, I used a two wire idle valve and found I had the best results when I used the valve only during warmup. I set the warm idle at what rpm I wanted it to be with 0% duty cycle and that allowed the ecu to only use the valve when the motor needed the extra air and fuel. This allowed me to start the motor in sub-freezing weather w/o touching the throttle and it would idle instantly. Then you can use the warmup analyzer to have it adjust the w/u enrichment from cold to where you have warm w/ 0% enrichment set at.

I had a v2.2 board and it required the TIP120 mod kit for the higher current rated transistor to control the valve.
dmiletics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt Bosch PWM idle valve Reply with quote

I decided to get Mario at the dub shop to set me up with a bosche 2 wire idle valve and he helped me out with the settings in tuner studio and now it works perfectly. Still have to tweak the enrichment settings but getting close.
Mario is the best!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt Bosch PWM idle valve Reply with quote

dmiletics wrote:
I decided to get Mario at the dub shop to set me up with a bosche 2 wire idle valve and he helped me out with the settings in tuner studio and now it works perfectly. Still have to tweak the enrichment settings but getting close.
Mario is the best!

Also....sometimes its simpler to make a mechanical solution instead of endless programming variations looking for perfection. The two wire idle valve....is basically off/on.

You can in your programming say when its off and on. At certain temperatures the set air volume is not always advantageous to the fuel mixture your ECU and network is supplying.

An extra simple adjustment to add is a downstream restrictor or bypass screw so you can adjust the VOLUME....that the simple on/off of the idle valve allows.

This is a best of both worlds....somewhere between and old world auxiliary air regulator which HAD adjsutable variability....but no positive on/off related to temperature and a semi-modern two wire idle air controller....which was positive and crisp but rarely do you find one with adjustability.

Short of adding the complexity and expense and then more programming of going to a modern multi step idle air controller.....this simple added tweak may be all yours needs.

This was a common tweak/hack on Mk 2 water cooled golfs etc. with Digifant II injection. If you end up with any mods or upgrades to the system, sometimes the pre-ordained inlet flow level of the simple two wire IAC was in need of change. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Megasquirt Bosch PWM idle valve Reply with quote

dmiletics wrote:
Mario is the best!

TunerStudio has WUE autotune, a few cycles of that should dial it right in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: