Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tach Install
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguy4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Tach Install Reply with quote

I am in the process of installing a tach in our '74 coupe and would appreciate some help in the wiring to the coil. The directions for the tach state it must not touch a positive connection, therefore I am assuming it would go to the negative side of the coil. The question is which is the negative side of the coil in the attached picture? I am assuming it is the left side with the green wire. The black wire on the right goes to the top of the distributor and the green wire on the left goes to the capacitor at the base of the distributor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

Terminal '1' is ground and terminal '15' is the positive voltage ignition wire.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

Attach the tach's signal wire to the same side of the coil where the green wire from the distributor points attaches (terminal #1). The tach needs to see the frequency of the ignition points opening & closing...that's how it measures the engine RPM.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
carguy4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

Thanks, appreciate the feedback............ Very Happy
carguy4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

Well, the tach is wired up and works, however, the needle bounces all over the place. What does that mean?
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

carguy4 wrote:
Well, the tach is wired up and works, however, the needle bounces all over the place. What does that mean?

It means your muffler bearings are loose! Shocked KIDING Laughing

It would help if you said what kind of tach you're connecting. Some aftermarket Tachs have a 4, 6, 8 cylinder switch you need to set.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
carguy4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

SoCalJes wrote:
carguy4 wrote:

It means your muffler bearings are loose! Shocked KIDING Laughing

It would help if you said what kind of tach you're connecting. Some aftermarket Tachs have a 4, 6, 8 cylinder switch you need to set.

It is an aftermarket tach made by RPM, and it does have switches in the back, which I have set to 4 cylinder. Probably one of those things you get what you paid for............... Sad
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

Check your points gap.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

When I asked Google about bouncing tachometer needles, it suggested that I look through THIS THREAD posted in the Performance Engines and Transmissions Forum here on The Samba.

Google also suggested that I watch this video on YouTube

Link

Wink
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

I had this same problem when I fitted a new VDO tach. Seems they dont make em like they used to. I installed a diode as suggested in the performance engines & transmission threads and it worked, tacho is now as steady as a rock. I installed the high frequency version of the diode they recommend, I think it was UF4002 rather than 1N4002
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

... got this tach from a local salvage for 10 bux ... they said it's from a 4 cylinder Pinto... connected the wire to the coil, same way... works great.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluedot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tach Install Reply with quote

Have you seen these monster tachs that ISP west is selling? I just put one in my ghia.

Love it! Shift light, looks like my stock gauges.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: