Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying it back for the 4th time!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Tarpey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

First purchased our 70' Deluxe 20 yrs ago. Restored it back to original, won a few 1st place trophy's and sold it to do "something else". 2 yrs later, tracked it down in Tulsa, Ok., brought it home, redid it and, you guessed it, off it went to another owner....who didn't treat it very well, sooo round 4 is about to begin, sans engine and transaxle.
I'd like to upgrade the engine/trans (1915cc/ freeway flyer) this time and would like feedback on engine builders, transaxle options. Thanks, Bob
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

Try to hold onto her this time!
Bob Tarpey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

enjoyther1de wrote:
Try to hold onto her this time!

Had the 1st person I bought the transporter from called it "her", I would have passed on it. I've bought, restored, raced and sold over 150 vehicles to date from muscle cars, classics, fuel funny cars and V-Dubs...and have NEVER called any of my vehicles "her" as I have a tendency to thrash them from time to time. Going on 73 yrs. old, it'll stay in the family once finished.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

I once introduced my Beetle as the "other woman".

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

Bob Tarpey wrote:
Buying it back for the 4th time!

Ever see the film "Groundhog Day" ???
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

You should call it the "boomerang bay"

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

Bob Tarpey wrote:
(ONE) First purchased our 70' Deluxe 20 yrs ago. Restored it back to original, won a few 1st place trophy's and sold it to do "something else". (TWO) 2 yrs later, tracked it down in Tulsa, Ok., brought it home, redid it and, you guessed it, off it went to another owner....who didn't treat it very well, (THREE) sooo round 4 is about to begin, sans engine and transaxle.
I'd like to upgrade the engine/trans (1915cc/ freeway flyer) this time and would like feedback on engine builders, transaxle options. Thanks, Bob

Something's wrong with the math here, I only count this as round three.

I got two vehicles back that I got rid of and regretted the second I got rid of them, I'm still working on trying to get another back.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

No offense intended, but I have to ask; Why?

If the vehicle was so beloved, why did you get rid of it in the first place?
Finances? Life, in general?

I ask because I currently have my 13th & 15th ACVW. I've had number 13 since 2003, and I intend to be buried in it. Smile I've had about 20 or so, over the years.

When I felt I was "done" with a car (whatever "done" was) I was done. I can't say I'd want any of them back, even if for free.

There are cars I wish I had acquired when I had the chance. There are cars I say "If I still had that XXX, I'd do blah-blah-blah." But, none that I'd try to get back.

So I don't get it. What makes a car worth a 2nd, 3rd, 4th trip down the isle?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:

Possibly for the same reason people keep going back to crazy, drunk, or abusive exes.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
No offense intended, but I have to ask; Why?

If the vehicle was so beloved, why did you get rid of it in the first place?
Finances? Life, in general?

I ask because I currently have my 13th & 15th ACVW. I've had number 13 since 2003, and I intend to be buried in it. Smile I've had about 20 or so, over the years.

When I felt I was "done" with a car (whatever "done" was) I was done. I can't say I'd want any of them back, even if for free.

There are cars I wish I had acquired when I had the chance. There are cars I say "If I still had that XXX, I'd do blah-blah-blah." But, none that I'd try to get back.

When I got rid of my '78 Champagne Edition Westy, it was after the deaths of both of my parents, two grand parents, my fiancé leaving me and my house flooding and destroying half of what I had, all of this happened in the span of 10 months.

I was 25 years old and had pretty much just given up on everything after that and I sat there and watched it slowly go to crap because I didn't use it. I regretted getting rid of it shortly after.

Luckily, 7 years later, I got it back for free, sure all the good parts were sold off of it (clock, yellow bucket, stool, both tables, engine, transmission, the front curtain ) but, everything else was there. I knew that bus, I knew what it needed when I let it go, I knew what it still needed when I got it back and now, because of the stuff that was sold off of it, what I now need. I drove that thing all over until it ate a valve and that's why it got parked and then life took a hard left turn.

As you know, the prices of Westfalias are getting astronomical and I never thought I'd be able to get another. Now, I am in the middle of a Subaru swap to it and I never plan on getting rid of it EVER again!

That's the same reason (except for the engine issues, that car still drove ) I got rid of my '65 Ghia that I am still trying to get back. Regretted that too.

When I was 18, I got rid of a '57 semaphore ragtop I pulled out of a farmers field because I was just too young and didn't have the money or skills to know what to do with it at the time, luckily someone I know got it and drives it, he's a member here, username Mannys66. One day, I hope to get that one back too.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

Now I get it.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Tarpey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

I sold it to finish another car. The then owner said he was going to finish it, never did, let it go, I bought it back, took it 90% back to original, fell on tough times, sold it, found it and now considering buying it back to do it the way I always wanted. Dropped front end, bigger motor, better cruising gears, and adding it to the collection.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying it back for the 4th time! Reply with quote

... my brother bought this Nov. 1952 Zwitter in 1974 for $400 and completely restored it with NOS parts from the local VW dealer in NJ. and drove it till 1992 ...when he sold it to me. I then drove it until 2011 and sold it back to him... and now he has it back for a second time and will never sell it again.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: