Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Where can I get quality clips for the sliding door cable of a 78 Westy? I don't know the part number. The last time I ordered something like this they didn't fit. I think someone more experienced and knowledgeable could help make sure I order the correct part the first time.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Anyone considered putting Dura liner or Herculiner on the front floor instead of the rubber mat?

It seems to me that any mat can retain moisture underneath.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
Anyone considered putting Dura liner or Herculiner on the front floor instead of the rubber mat?

It seems to me that any mat can retain moisture underneath.

That's a tricky one. My bus came LOADED with Reflctix, and the front floors were starting to bubble up under the carpet within the first two years of the fresh paint job. I don't recommend it. Reflectix and carpet replaced with rubber mat, rust catalyzed, and top coated, and it has not gotten any worse in four years since.

Make sure your car is well-sealed, and I mean REALLY well-sealed. Then keep the paint waxed under there. That, with a rubber mat, is about as much protection as you'll need.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

^^ I had the same experience, but fortunately caught it early. Floors see more water than other areas, so unless you've stripped them and are confident there are no tiny rust spots, I'd be wary to put something down. That being said, lots of people do it.

The rubber mats don't sit flat on the floor, they have ribs on the back so there isn't much contact with the metal.

Last edited by Thrasher22 on Thu May 26, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a gap on either side of where my pop-top meets the luggage rack, but it sits flush in the middle. It's a late bay, so that acts as a wind scoop on the highway. The back sits a bit low, but the bar that holds the form at the front is there.

Any tips before I start trying to muscle it around tomorrow?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
I have a gap on either side of where my pop-top meets the luggage rack, but it sits flush in the middle. It's a late bay, so that acts as a wind scoop on the highway. The back sits a bit low, but the bar that holds the form at the front is there.

Any tips before I start trying to muscle it around tomorrow?

I have a '69 camper and I use it for ski trips in the winter. The poptop is a bit loose and inhales cold air on the highway. I have a ratchet strap that attaches to the rain gutters and keeps it tight to the roof. The strap goes over the poptop just behind the passenger seat and there is a groove in the poptop that that the strap fits into naturally.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Used with a ratchet this makes a good solution for a rattling poptop. Secure it so it doesn't get lost on the freeway and don't overtighten with the ratchet and pull off the rain gutters.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well hopefully that'll be plan B, but I have ratchets, so that might help when I head to the mountains tonight!
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have used the same thing for the last thirty years on my '70 Westy. Is there any way to keep that top from lifting?

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

All you need to keep the top down are the three rubber hold downs, a good set of front hinges and a properly adjusted c clamp bracket thingy that is under the front of the pop top and a decent pop top seal.
I don't use any other, extra hold downs and mine stays tight. I drive in a lot of wind all the time. Just yesterday I drove against solid 35-40mph head winds and cross winds for an hour on the freeway. That probably equates to about 90 mph wind gusts. I was all over the road but the top stayed down just fine. Laughing
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Westfalia Pop Top
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Moved the pop top slightly forward and redid the front seal where it meets the luggage rack and it got rid of 50% of the gap. Still sits high on the driver's side, might take a heat gun to the seal and see if I can finesse it a bit more
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is there a need to have the vacuum line that runs to the brake servo, be a rigid line. The ends of my hard plastic lines have broken down and causing vacuum leaks. I want to replace the plastic portions of this line with rubber hose. Is it going to collapse? My problem im having is when I apply the brakes, my motor faulters and stalls. 2.0FI 1978
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Regular rubber hose won't work as it will indeed collapse, there is reinforced hose available for vacuum use, your FLAPS should have it.
But if your idle changes when you apply the brakes the hose is working fine, the booster is the problem.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Regular rubber hose won't work as it will indeed collapse, there is reinforced hose available for vacuum use, your FLAPS should have it.
But if your idle changes when you apply the brakes the hose is working fine, the booster is the problem.

I used fuel vapor pvc/eec 3/8ths line. It says"not for fuel injection on it. Its all i had. But, it has solved my problems. What size hose should i get? The local FLAPS just have standard sizes usually.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sawspa wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

I used fuel vapor pvc/eec 3/8ths line. It says"not for fuel injection on it. Its all i had. But, it has solved my problems. What size hose should i get? The local FLAPS just have standard sizes usually.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465843&highlight=booster+hose

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Anybody have any ideas where I can find 3 piston pins?

During my disassembly I seem to have lost 3. Now I'm needing to ship off the internals to get balanced but I don't have all 8 piston pins.

The classifieds have not rendered any goodies this morning, and I'm already behind schedule. if anyone has any piston pins for 94mm pistons in a 2.0L please contact me!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I have a set, let me inspect them closely for wear..pm later in the day
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I have a set, let me inspect them closely for wear..pm later in the day

Thanks!! I'll PM you this afternoon/evening.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Back off both parking brake cables so they are drooping, then adjust the star wheels equal clicks from bottomed out until they won't turn anymore (long past where the wheel stops turning), then back them off until the wheel just turns with a tiny drag. after that's all done set the brake cables so it starts to drag at 3 clicks of the handle.

Thank you mucho. All fixed
72lowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

He
This question's maybe broken all a about stupidity!

1- What I'm supposed to do with this hole?
Because is splashing oil, on my battery, and all over the place.
cover it, is bad idea, I already find that!

2- After cruising for about 20-30 minutes to 40-50 mph I check the temperature oil with a dip fried thermometer and was between 190ºF - 200ºF !
The this temperatures are okay and safe for the engine?

Thanks
Balt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 276 of 515

Jump to: