Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

So I decided to rebuild my front end and the kingpins are froze hard. The guy at the machine shop didn't know if the 80ton press would push them out without damaging the link pin carrier.
Long story short. I may have to replace them. If so should I go all in. I was looking at tweeds designs and they have a new link pin spindle design. I could get it raised 3". Looks like I would have to get their arms as well. Could cost me over a grand to get everything needed. See link below
http://tweedsdesigns.com/shop/as-u/
http://tweedsdesigns.com/shop/saws/
Not sure what to do. Should I try to find some used stock ones? With 2-1/4" longer and 1" wider. Would my front tires rub the fenderwell when I turn?
Kind of at a loss here. There is a couple shows coming up soon. So I plan on looking then for front ends. Give me some help here. A 3" lift would be nice in the front though. Thanks guys

Last edited by chubby53 on Tue May 24, 2016 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

You could try some penetrating oil on king pins or heat up spindle with torch for it to expand it to loosen grip on king pin.
Also while under pressure in the press try shocking it by hitting back side of spindle to see if it will move.
I have had some very hard one to remove, just take your time eventually they will start to move.
I even have had to press on one end and then the other to get the king pin to come out.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

Try soaking them in trans fluid. Or a mixture or trans fluid and acetone. Works great! Best penetrating fluid I've ever used. You could also soak them in metal rescue and see if that works. They'll look brand new when you take them out, so they might come loose at that point...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

Call them! The website says the new spindles work with most aftermarket and stock arms.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

Their combo spindles cost less.

But the linkpins are in bronze bushings. How hard can they be frozen in?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smileyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

He said it was in kingpin frozen in the spindle Dusty.

I also vote for soaking it and adding a bit of heat it needed.

Smiley Smile
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

smileyman3000 wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

He said it was in kingpin frozen in the spindle Dusty.

I also vote for soaking it and adding a bit of heat it needed.

Smiley Smile

The king pin should have a bronze bushing in them as well. I agree they can't be stuck that bad give them some tonnage
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

press 'em. If they break your in the same position anyway. So break 'em first before you get yourself into a whole 'nother ballgame of modifications just over a beam rebuild. Just do what everyone else is sayin here and soak, heat, and go slow and patient.

GL
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

Good news. He got them out. He doesn't think anything g got bent or damaged. He still needs to check for round on the linkpin carrier. Got to say though. Having an excuse to get 3" raised spindles was inticing. Although I need the money I would of used for new heads for the motor I'm building. He's going to check them and install bushings and ream next week. I will let you know.
Back to those new design tweeds spindles. Anybody use them yet? Would be nice to have some feedback.
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweeds designs new spindles Reply with quote

so everything went well except for discovery of a possible issue.
When i bought these spindles(swap meet), they were on a balljoint front end that has been modified, since then i put them on a link pin. Whomever built these extended the linkpin carriers to match the tube difference from ball joint to link pin. now since they are on a king link beam, my geomitry is different. it always seem a little stiff since i switched beams. should i get a ball joint beam and use it? Which would suck because i would need to modify shock towers, ect..
So the link pins i have to put in are about 3/4" shorter than the ones that were in there. they still fit in the stock bushings fine, but one end has about a 3/4" section where there is no bushing or kingpin. hard to explain, i will try to get pics later..
why can't everything just go together like it's supposed to?
if it all matches, should i reuse the longer kinpins and get another set of bushing to accomodate the void? or will it be okay?
Dang i'm frustrated...
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

Yo no hablo senor. Confused

Pictures MAY help translate.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

So here are some pics after installed. Bump steer not so good.
Full lift( notice toe out)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ride Hieght. Toe set at 1/8"

Hard to see in these pics, but they added a spacer or cut another link pin carrier and added material. Did good work though. Unfortunately now I have a 3/4" void on top inside cause the factory link pin isn't long enough.

See how the trailing arms are not even now.

So should I find new link pin carriers, or modify a ball joint beam to fit? I am going to a swap meet this weekend.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

From the factory, the front trailing arms on link pin and also on ball joint, are NOT parallel. I don't know for sure, but I speculate that VW did that to create changing caster through the wheel travel. Maybe to reduce the feeling of bumpsteer with the stock steering setup.

Putting link pin spindles on a ball joint spaced beam does NOT require lengthening the spindles. Stock length links on a ball joint beam spacing yields nearly parallel trailing arms and consistent caster. Certainly with center load rack & pinion, it works very nice.

So...I would rather have stock length links with a ball joint spaced beam. But it seems that you have a link pin spaced beam, where you really need stock length links.
SoCalBajas Member
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

i will look for some spindle/carriers this weekend. hopefully i'll get lucking and be able to use the kingpin bushings i just had put in these ones in ones i get.
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

I picked up a set of used spindles today for $10 at the swap. Going to add the link pin gusset kit to the carriers and swap out. Hopefully they will fix my bump steer problem
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

What steering box setup do you have?
SoCalBajas Member
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

Just stock with reamed ends for ford ends and 1" Alumunim tie rods.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

But what steering box?
SoCalBajas Member
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

Don't know. Thought they were all the same pretty much. Stock box. Not sure if pitman arm is different.
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: link pin spindles modify for ball joint. Skip to Later posts Reply with quote

So I went and looked at my pitman arm. Another problem. I believe it is a ball joint one which makes it 1/2" longer overall than the link pin.. Do I'm assuming I will have to change it too. Unfortunately it is drilled for ford ends. I will have to see if my local shop can red rill the link pin one to that size.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: