Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another buggy build, here goes...........
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

The notcher looks like the one made and sold by Williams Lowbuck Tools. Not sure if they are around any longer, haven't seen their ads in 2 forevers. Yrs back we wore out a few of them making chain link fence gates, they were great in that application where all joints were 90°, not so great at other angles. They worked well even with schedule 40 pipe.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Yep it's a low buck tube notcher. Mounted it. Works ok. Have to adjust it a bit but will deal with it later.

Been setting up garage

Got air compressor. Did bunch of stuff to it. Now works like a champ

Had to run 230v outlet for it.

Set up air hose reel

Converted jd32 to air over hydraulic with HF ram and swag off-road ram mount kit. Bent a few tubes. Works. Going to focus on learning to use it more later.
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Picked up set of Miata seats off CL for $50. Will get some seat covers for them eventually.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots of garage setup work but now back on buggy again.

Got body mounted to chassis. Front of hood isn't sitting right. Gonna cut front of fiberglass body to move front left wheel well out over the tire a little more. Body is warped here too.

Once hood sits right will then focus on mounting it and the windshield. Getting closer to the point where I start bending some tube but not quite.

Slow progress.
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Probably going to have to drill holes in the windshield. Can't figure out how this thing was originally mounted. Doesn't look like a captive-type mounting system would work? I posted a pix of it in an earlier post.

Another question. I Have some beam mounting clamps I want to use for front bumper but the steering stop plate is in the way. Can I remove this? Anyone with experience removing this and fabbing up a different stop so the clamps can be used? Not at this point yet but will have to address it eventually.

Thanks for everyone's help Very Happy
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

SWAG Off Road Adapter and air of hydraulic, Pfft! Rich Folk. I am still cranking by hand on the JD2 M 32.

Just kidding. Would love to convert mine. Used a buddy's and it was nice, and a lot easier on my shoulders.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Rich folk? Ha. Laughing

Poor men have poor means. Somebody wise on the samba said that once. (joe). So it was either spend $240 to make my bender mobile /portable, or spend $1000's to build a bigger garage where I could have a dedicated space for mounting the bender ( and for all the other tools for which I currently don't own)

So I chose the cheaper route. I blame you joe for my air over hydro setup !, Very Happy

I am still struggling to find the space for a tool chest. Would love one of those but space is at a premium. Damm y'all with garage space r lucky.
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Well so any way......back to the build. Got a bunch of other stuff done in the garage now back to it.

Got some hold down /roll cage mounting plates installed. Have to figure out what I want to do in the back corners. Still have a mounting bolt to locate back there. All the other mounting bolts are installed.

Starting to reinforce the front of the body and headlight mounting. Using angle. Got a piece under the light and another under the front. How I just have to figure out how to get from point A to point B. Mocked up a piece of cardboard to get an idea what the piece will need to look like.

Toggle Switch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Glad to see this car getting built. I. Remember seeing it on craigslist for like six months. I never went and looked at it because of the el lobo body style. Back then I didn't care for that body. It's grown on me and it's the one I look for now.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Very similar to how wvbowtieman made a support on his Lithia Body, (very close to a El Lobo.

He used 1 X 2 rectangular tubing under the fuel tank, then 1/4 inch plate up under the fender. His thought was to go with flat stock so it would not be seen from the front. Turned out super strong and the headlights never flickered at night when he hit bumps.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Well that makes two of us Toggle, cause I'm glad to see it getting built as well. Very Happy

I like the el lobo /lido style as well. ,

Yah Joe I was a little concerned about the angle being visible. Still not decided if this will be the final support design. Gonna just go with it and see where it takes me.

I have seen vwbowtieman's build. There will be more similarities to it as I progress for sure. Smile

Roll cage will be similar to the Sears rascal u built. Hopefully.
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Ok everyone I got some more pix. Other projects took me off the buggy for a bit. Let's just say the buggy is on the top of the "want to do" list, and low on the "need to do" list. Very Happy

So I've been playing around with the windshield. Got it mounted. Ended up drilling through the windshield frame. Went with 3/8" hardware. Probably could have used 5/16". Oh well. The windshield frame "legs" do fit quite well to the sides of the hood. Eventually I am going to build a support inside the hood to attach the windshield bolts too.

Got a hoop bent and placed under the dash for steering column support. Will probably find a way to get a piece of flat bar or angle from this hoop up to inside the hood where the windshield bolts holes are.

Got a steering column with working key. Got this steering wheel too. Not sure what car it's from originally but I am going to try to use it.

Got the seat frame mocked up. I made it out of strut. I think this is the direction I am going to go with the frames. The strut used for the seat frames is bolt-together so it makes minute adjustments easy. Once all lined up I will weld the strut frame together.

I'll take more pix of this frame next time I remove the seat.

Had the shifter, e brake, and petals mocked up, along with the steering wheel and seat. I think I like the way it is set up. Except, it seems the center lines of the steering wheel and drivers seat don't line up.

So I am taking the steering column apart so I can ream out the steering hole in the dash. I want to see if the column can lower a little bit too.

Once the steering column is in its final position, I'll weld in the hoop and attach the column mount. Eventually I am going to add a second hoop in the very front, above the petals, for mounting a steering shaft bearing. This will wait until the next time I unbolt the hood. For now, it's onwards towards the back. Next is the roll bar hoop behind the windshield.

I did take the opportunity to sit in the seat for a while. Was neat sitting in it for the first time. Motivating.

Found a place online that sells replacement seat upholstery for Miata seats. Need to pick a color. Will deal with that later too.

Here is the front nose support I made out of angle. I didn't attach it to the body mounting locations on the top of the front beam yet. The front nose is still a little crooked. I got the hood to sit on the body as good as I can by sanding. the final alignment of the nose will hopefully be achieved via this support. I'll deal with it later as well (recurring theme)

Ok that's it for now. Hopefully next update is sooner than this one. Laughing
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Glad to see it moving along again! I understand the "Want vs Need" when it comes to the buggy.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Ok got some more progress. Front hoop mocked up. So is the tube steel in the back seat area.

Both are not even tacked yet. Ended up using sleeves. Don't have the time, patience and resources to go through the learning curve required to nail the front hoop in an economically viable manner. 8 bends required. This won't be an NHRA buggy anyways so at this point a sleeved roll cage is still better than no roll cage or just a mouse trap roll bar.

jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

I wanted to make a mounting location on the torsion tubes for roll cage. I didn't want to weld to the cast shock mount. Wanted to use existing tapped holes.

Took some 1 3/4" x 1/4" flat bar and used angle grinder to notch in desired bend locations. For a person with a break this would have been a quick task. For me, I don't, and it wasn't nearly as quick. But it fits nice. Let's see if it still fits nice after I final weld it. The only bolts I had were too long so i used some square washers and nuts as spacers.

Want to use a piece of strut as support under the back seat. Got four holes drilled and lined up, strut bolted underneath, looks good until.......

........I notice it's really close to where the end of the clutch cable will be. There is less then 1" from the top of the clutch arm to the bottom of the strut. Will it interfere? Not sure, will have to investigate later. Worried when the clutch arm pulls forward, the nut end might hit the bottom of the strut.

I might have to move it about 4" forward, not sure yet.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

jakerot wrote:

Got a steering column with working key. Got this steering wheel too. Not sure what car it's from originally but I am going to try to use it.

You have a Formuling France steering wheel there.

Looks like a 13 or 14 inch four spoke just like the one I have in my buggy.
They are a great steering wheel and just the right size for a buggy.

They were quite popular in the 80-90s as far as I can tell.

I had six of them in my stash at one time.
Two were in NOS packages yet.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

You know every time I see a buggy with that mouth like nose. I all ways think, man its perfect for a small radiator to cool a little VW turbo diesel. Any ways I just went through your build. The body work looked like a nightmare. I hope I'll never need to do that. Good work though.
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

I love the look of bias ply tires.
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

I would think that arm would have to move quite far to have the nut/cable contact that bar.. Not sure I would worry about it, although it is worth investigation as the angle of the pic may be deceiving.

I would try and tie the frame horn into the roll bar, as long as you already have that bar there and it is easily accessible.
jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Well it's still progressing but life keeps getting in the way. But progress is progress.

Been messing around with the rear bumper mount over the shock bump stop. Got both sides done and then saw one side looked like garbage so going to build another one. I'll use the bad one will as my welding practice piece.

Got some other reinforcement pieces in place but difficult to see with the body on. I'll take pix next time the body is off.

jakerot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another buggy build, here goes........... Reply with quote

Yah well I ended up cutting the tacks on both pieces I just fabbed for over the rear shock/body mounts and repositioning them and re tacked. Looks better now. Hopefully stays that way.

Put some more members in, triangulating the tranny/engine/fork mount to the piece of strut running under the back seat. Here is a picture, but it will be easier to see once I pull the body off again.

Got the back seat hoop tacked up.

Made these plates, one for each side.

Eventually will tack the back seat hoop to it.

Got some scrap bend pieces. Starting to get a feel what the rear bumper will look like. Vertical/slanted opposing hoops, going from the pieces I just fabbed for attachment to the rear shock tower/body mount, down to the tranny mount.

i have an idea how to connect the 2 rear bumper hoops. Want to put a universal receiver in the rear bumper. Saw a design like this on one of Joescoolcustoms' build so I gotta give a shout out to Joe any everyone else who has a rear bumper like this. I have seen a few here at the samba. Thanks for the inspiration.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: