Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Suspension for my Sandrail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddcochran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Front Suspension for my Sandrail Reply with quote

I am putting together a sandrail. I got a frame off CraigsList and it's set up for IRS rear and link pin front. There is a 40" bare front beam on it that was set up for extended trailing arms so there are no grub screws for spring leaves.

I also bought a VW pan that had a 40" beam which does have adjusters and leaves, but I don't think it is set up right. There is a space where the leaves show on the end of the beam. Also, I think they welded the rack mount at the completely wrong angle.

If I get it set up correctly would the torsion front beam be an acceptable front end? Or should I sell it as a complete front end and save up for all the pieces needed for the coilover front end.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension for my Sandrail Reply with quote

Well, the great thing about building your own vehicle is that you can make it just the way you want it.

But many many people are completely happy with torsion bar front ends.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension for my Sandrail Reply with quote

looks like you are missing some leaves. easy fix.

completely acceptable front end, why would you think its not? probably 80% or more vw rails have beam front ends. moore parts will have everything you need.

for the rack mount, I always angle it to fit the car, so the tie rods, steering shaft and frame all work together harmoniously.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension for my Sandrail Reply with quote

The front end looks okay, but you want to have the full set of leaves in there. Otherwise, a trailing arm can come off. I had this happen when I was flat towing my bug (soon to be Baja) home from the PO's.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
toddcochran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension for my Sandrail Reply with quote

I'm not really opposed to the beam style of front end. However this particular one is really heavy. Almost all my previous rails had no front brakes. So rather than trying to strip this one down, I think I'll sell it and look for a complete beam with just the spindles.

Time for CraigsList!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Suspension for my Sandrail Reply with quote

toddcochran wrote:
I am putting together a sandrail. I got a frame off CraigsList and it's set up for IRS rear and link pin front. There is a 40" bare front beam on it that was set up for extended trailing arms so there are no grub screws for spring leaves.

I also bought a VW pan that had a 40" beam which does have adjusters and leaves, but I don't think it is set up right. There is a space where the leaves show on the end of the beam. Also, I think they welded the rack mount at the completely wrong angle.

If I get it set up correctly would the torsion front beam be an acceptable front end? Or should I sell it as a complete front end and save up for all the pieces needed for the coilover front end.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Quote:
...that was set up for extended trailing arms so there are no grub screws for spring leaves.

That beam was set up for coilover shocks like Fox or King. Through rods would be used to hold the arms in place. The towers need to also be designed to fit coilovers or it won't work.

This beam

Yep...leaves are missing out of the upper tube. Dangerous thing to do! Almost certainly done because the aftermarket leaves they put in it were too stiff for their liking. Replacing them with stock leaves, at least in one of the tubes, would probably be better. But you won't know for sure how stiff is too stiff until the car is all together and you can test drive it. Keep in mind that a beam front suspension feels stiff at low speed then gets working better as you go faster.

I agree that the rack mount is probably not right. Easy to cut off and install a new bracket.

Here's Skidmark's rack mount for an idea of where it should mount at.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...;start=320

Page 17 is the part about installing the rack mount.

Note that Steve tacked a couple of pieces of angle iron to the bottom of the rack brackets. Then the angle iron is hose clamped in place to allow the rack to be moved around until the bump steer is at a minimum.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: