Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

I'm the 50 year old newbie that's in over his head. Not the first, not the last I'm sure. So far, all is well with my project. I'm not burned out or even close at this point. I've got help and a good cushion of cash for the project. That said, I'm $4,000 in on the vehicle, $2,000 in on parts and about $500 in labor. At $6,500 in so far, I expect another $2,000+ on welding. I still need paint, fenders, a lower windshield frame, glass, convertible frame, fabric, tires, plus likely another $500-$1,000 in miscellaneous parts, etc...

My question for you guys is this: Given my zero experience and need to shop out at least some of the work, should I abandon this Thing and buy one in a more manageable condition (maybe something in the $8,000 range) or keep going? I can see this easily hitting $12,000+. I fully expected $8,000-$9,000 before I started but I'm seeing the reality of $12,000+ now. The trans and engine were running when I purchased. In fact, the car was drivable. Still don't know what I'll be into with regards to engine work, if any. I'm waiting for all the welding work to be done before I hit the parts / mechanical stuff. So, sitting in boxes, I have rear axles, all brake hardlines, master cylinder, drum shoes, cables, front and rear struts and some other miscellaneous stuff.

Current condition images attached. The frame is primed in a nice "rust bucket red" color.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

I remember the "what have I gotten into" moment with mine. I would encourage you to stick with it. you've got a pretty solid start on it, what you've got there looks good. I haven't totaled what I've spent on mine but I can think of $12,000 just with big ticket items off the top of my head (I'm still spending). It's really not out of line. I figure at this point it would be hard to get what you've spent so far back, as the car is apart. Also you're new $8,000 car will need things, and in the long run this one will be better than that and hold far fewer surprises. You'll know it inside and out. It is a lot of work, only you can decide how far you want to go with it. By the way I'm 50 too. Very Happy

Good luck!
apba12m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

If you bought it to make money or break even you will be disappointed, but if you plan on driving and enjoying the car you will be rewarded with pride and joy, these little cars get a lot of attention from others you meet.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

I second Kames comment.
When you are done, you'll have a car you know the history of and is reliable. From what I've seen lately, you could easily spend a few thousand on an $8k Thing and still not have what you will when you are done with your current project. You can always put the engine and tranny back in as they are and get to them when needed or funds allow. You'll have the hard part done.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

So it was driveable when you bought it and you tore it apart? Well, now put it back together and learn. When it's drivable again you will be able to say."I did this." It will mean more to you that way and maybe you can be the one that helps some other new guy someday.
BigDaddyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

I didn't buy it to make money or even break even but cost and time is always a consideration. Rebuilding it isn't a problem either. I know now that had I been more experienced with what to look for to begin with, I would have spent more on the purchase of a better vehicle and STILL would have had work to do but significantly less.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. It's much appreciated. I haven't heard anybody suggest that I consider dumping it so I'll keep moving forward. With any luck, I'll have it on the road by this fall.

Cheers!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

When I bought my bus 30ish years ago, I put about $5000 into it, a lot at the time, but it has served me very well over the years and I now consider it money very well spent.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

Dumping it now would cost you plenty of $$$..

Keep on Keepin' on and make it ALL Yours!!!

I agree it looks very solid to start.
Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Das Ding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

I did the same this as you!
Started cutting the rust out of the body, and realized that I would end up with a rust free body that had wreck damage in the front and back.
I found a California body that had no rust and no damage for $900, and had it shipped to the east coast.
I have been at it off and on for 15 years, and am now starting on the final projects, like restoring the fuel tank, putting in a new wiring harness, and finding all the little bits lost over the last 43 years.
My paint job alone was $9,000, and I had everything sand blasted before it went to paint.
Take your time and do a little as you go.
Its a journey, as well as a learning experience!
DD
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

I decided when I first bought my Thing that I would never keep track of what I spent, I haven't. My wife considered about the same would be spent if i were a golfer. We kept track of expenditure on our old Corvette which took a lot of fun out of the equation. Came out OK when we sold it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigDaddyJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

all great perspectives ... kind of makes me wonder why i even questioned the decision - i'm sure many of you have done the same and ended up at the same place

i'll keep on plugging away at it
coopster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

Just grit your teeth and push on , I said I would never do another resto after my last bug , then I bought a bus and then I bought a 181 Smile
The only contingency I have had to make is to include in my will how much my bus and 181 are actually worth because as far as my wife is concerned everything only costs 100 pounds Smile
When people ask me how much I've spent I always tell the memories and adventures I have and had outweigh the financial cost . Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

I have paid for both of my Things by selling off another Hobby !/6th scale WWII German armor and figures that have been building over the past 11 years. I have kept track of every penny and have not had to take a penny out of the house hold money. I was very lucky finding the 73 with no rust at all. I am very happy with the Things and can play with them a lot more than my other hobby. I enjoy working on these kinda things as that was my job for many years.
GB
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

Just my 2 cent. If I had it to do over I would have paid more upfront and got a better automobile. I found some hidden issues that has cost me mucho dinero. However I did think I had a better automobile and it has been a lot of fun and educational up to this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

keep on keeping on!

i'm 3 years into my restoration process. ya, it's taking awhile lol. i fund the hobby by flipping other vws. i work hard, and then i spend some money when i can. no rush, but i'm very goal-driven.

it's a labor of love. i dont know what i will do when i'm done...probably build another one Twisted Evil
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

After having done a few VW's over my lifetime, when I decided to buy a "THING", I was working too much at my job, and burned out from doing another car. Bought the best I could find, paid the money, on the high end of valuation, and have been enjoying since. My car was in "Hemmings Sports and Exotic Cars", march 2014, so it was well worth it to me. May retire in the next few years and go for a project car at that point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: i'd love some opinions from you gurus and more experienced Reply with quote

BigdaddyJ

looks like you have settled in for the long haul. That's a good thing. Everyone here as they say has a story.

Thought I would share mine and hope you will find some motivation to carry you through.

I am not a mechanic, hands on though with some mechanical aptitude.

I picked mine up as a roller body, no top or windshield frame, had been primer hiding sins but we knew it.

I was a little younger then than you are now, my early 40's. My oldest son then was 13ish. It was our project. We replaced drivers outer rocker, front left quarter panel, both pans, rear sheet metal and patches on passenger rocker. We had never done serious metal work. we bought a Lincoln 140 welder and started the practice. grinder was our friend. we learned to stitch weld, spot weld panels and pans. we learned to bend tubing, run brake lines and rewire completely. a lot of items are remove and bolt on. The VW is fairly simple creature. We learned as we went.

now we did farm out the engine. now at 23, my son would never let me do that again. he has dove into engine building weekend warrior.

when the dust settled, we spent 3.5 yrs in total restoration as weekend warriors. she has been driving for almost 6 yrs now. great experience, learned a lot. yes we did throw some choice words and threaten to unload a few times. however, then there was no value bcs it was a pile of parts only.

stay the course. I have to imagine there are a couple vw enthusiasts around the area that would be glad to drop in and lend a hand or advice on a particular repair.

between this site and hate to say the world wide web, there are plenty of reference videos and pictures of most anything you could need to do.

easiest way, post your questions and pics here.

I attacked by segments. we did pan complete, rolling chassis with tranny/brakes then shifted attention to the body. electrical after that. interior seats. lastly motor. I find it easier to divide and conquer. also gives sense of completion and getting closer to end goal

onward ho!

ps. check my gallery and others here. there are a lot of pics of my build as well as others
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: