Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter found in Iceland
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter found in Iceland Reply with quote

That car needs some love.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter found in Iceland Reply with quote

Any updates? Even after reading the dictionary here on the samba site I am still not clear with the differences being a Zwitter vs a non Zwitter. Is it the dash combination with the rear window end of 52 early 53? Are there month and product numbers for that change and where does the name Zwitter come from? I'm searching for a thread now on all the differences but if someone can post that link I think it will help with this little Iceland beauty/rescue.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter found in Iceland Reply with quote

A Zwitter was produced from October 52 to around mid-53. You can tell it's a zwitter because it has the split rear windshield but the dash is that of an oval window car (instead of the dual gloveboxs of a regular split). It also has a lot of other Zwitter only parts.

The "zwitter" name came about through an English VW Club in the 1970's. It is strickly a nickname given for these rare 6 month only cars as they are a combination of both split window and oval window beetles.

In German it means hermaphrodite, hybrid, or mongrel. In this case the zwitter is equal parts split and oval, or "brezel" und "ovali" (in German).
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter found in Iceland Reply with quote

Got it thanks, as per this split 1950 dash and it would have split rear window.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this 1956 oval dash which would have an oval rear window.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Zwitter would have the 1956 dash with a split rear window among other things that make it that 6 month only Beetle such as Oct 52-Juneish 1953 year build. Are there any links for the entire list?

wimkever wrote:
A Zwitter was produced from October 52 to around mid-53. You can tell it's a zwitter because it has the split rear windshield but the dash is that of an oval window car (instead of the dual gloveboxs of a regular split). It also has a lot of other Zwitter only parts.

The "zwitter" name came about through an English VW Club in the 1970's. It is strickly a nickname given for these rare 6 month only cars as they are a combination of both split window and oval window beetles.

In German it means hermaphrodite, hybrid, or mongrel. In this case the zwitter is equal parts split and oval, or "brezel" und "ovali" (in German).

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter found in Iceland Reply with quote

There are some Zwitter information link in the Split-Window Beetle FAQ at the top of this section.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter found in Iceland Reply with quote

Thanks Everett.
EverettB wrote:
There are some Zwitter information link in the Split-Window Beetle FAQ at the top of this section.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter found in Iceland Reply with quote

How can a car manufactured in 1952 have the dash of a car manufactured in 1956? Other than a DeLorean time machine of course. Now, if you said a 1956 has the same dash as the last split windows made, now that I can agree too.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter found in Iceland Reply with quote

Second half.
ZwitterND wrote:
How can a car manufactured in 1952 have the dash of a car manufactured in 1956? Other than a DeLorean time machine of course. Now, if you said a 1956 has the same dash as the last split windows made, now that I can agree too.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
bugman1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanInMass54 wrote:
I meant to ask - what is that cylinder thing in the front there on the shelf behind the front apron?

DIY brake fluid reservoir I'm guessing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: