Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

I purchased a 79 Bradley without an engine in it. It has the IRS and the transaxle alreaady in the car.

I built a 1600 dual port that came out of a 73 Bug for the car. When I attempt to mate the engine to the transaxle, it won't go on the last 1.5 inches or so.

I've checked to ensure the clutch disc is properly aligned. Also tried to index the flywheel a little just to give the splines a chance to align.

I'm wondering if the end of the input shaft off trans isn't making it into gland nut. Of course, I've tried wiglling it, shaking it, jacking up engine, body, etc.

Looking for any tips or suggestions other than just keep trying.

thanks.

Edit - a couple pics of the car:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
72 Porsche 914

Last edited by vin man on Mon May 16, 2016 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

There are 2 throwout bearing/pressure plate types and they cannot be mixed up. Could this be your issue? Also, Did you make sure the clutch disc actually slides over the trans input shaft?

Pictures would help us help you, but here is a thread that discusses the different combinations and can point you in the right direction, or at least verify you have the correct combination of parts.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574245&highlight=throwout+bearing

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Try manually turning the engine over (rotate via the crank bolt).
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Lock down the rear wheels with the E brake, put the trans in gear, line up your studs at the bottom and rotate the motor back and forth while pushing in on the motor via the generator pulley and the fan shroud. Should drop right in.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Thanks for suggestions. I am out of town on business for a week and will send pics upon my return. I did try indexing crank before.
I will test clutch disc on input shaft when I get back as well.

The throw out bearing that was on the transaxle looks different than the style that came with clutch kit so that may be the issue. It looked to be same thickness and used a different clip system than the new one so I left it on.

Will share results ASAP.
72 Porsche 914
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

I don't think its the TO bearing.......either one will fit, they will just not work well together. The TO bearing use different cross shafts so it is hard to f it up

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

If you fail on your next install, remove the pressure plate from the back of the motor and the T/O bearing from the transaxle and try an install that way.

Obviously you'll not be able to use it that way, but if it slides right in you have a better idea where to start looking for what is hanging up.

BEFORE YOU DO THAT:

Some clutch kits come with a "puck" on the pressure plate (PP) contact surface for the T/O bearing that is removable for certain T/O bearing applications, leaving just the ends of the PP springs to contact the T/O bearing...It's just held on to the PP by some (other,small) springs and easily removed. It is so that they can sell the same PP for two different style T/O bearings without repackaging or having two different part numbers.

The T/O bearing setup with a bushing to guide the bearing toward the PP does NOT use the puck, the T/O bearing that you can stick your finger between the output shaft of the transmission and the inner side of the bearing DOES use the puck on the PP.

If you tried to install your engine with the puck on the PP with a later style T/O bearing that has the bushing, it would keep you from going that last 1.5".

Hope and expect it will work out OK for you. Fortunately it ain't rocket science.

EDIT: Get those wheels so they can spin next time you try an install. Between the spinning input shaft and you or a buddy with a wrench on the pulley nut spinning the motor, if it is an indexing issue you would feel the ends of the splines of the input shaft racheting on the clutch disc...if you don't feel that, you arent there yet.
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

wythac wrote:
If you fail on your next install, remove the pressure plate from the back of the motor and the T/O bearing from the transaxle and try an install that way.

Obviously you'll not be able to use it that way, but if it slides right in you have a better idea where to start looking for what is hanging up.

BEFORE YOU DO THAT:

Some clutch kits come with a "puck" on the pressure plate (PP) contact surface for the T/O bearing that is removable for certain T/O bearing applications, leaving just the ends of the PP springs to contact the T/O bearing...It's just held on to the PP by some (other,small) springs and easily removed. It is so that they can sell the same PP for two different style T/O bearings without repackaging or having two different part numbers.

The T/O bearing setup with a bushing to guide the bearing toward the PP does NOT use the puck, the T/O bearing that you can stick your finger between the output shaft of the transmission and the inner side of the bearing DOES use the puck on the PP.

If you tried to install your engine with the puck on the PP with a later style T/O bearing that has the bushing, it would keep you from going that last 1.5".

Hope and expect it will work out OK for you. Fortunately it ain't rocket science.

EDIT: Get those wheels so they can spin next time you try an install. Between the spinning input shaft and you or a buddy with a wrench on the pulley nut spinning the motor, if it is an indexing issue you would feel the ends of the splines of the input shaft racheting on the clutch disc...if you don't feel that, you arent there yet.

Thx. Will do. I will also take pics of the TO bearing that came on the transaxle as well as the one that came with the clutch kit and share. I won't be back in town till Friday.

Thanks again.
72 Porsche 914
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

If there is any doubt as to what clutch parts, study pic closely...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
If there is any doubt as to what clutch parts, study pic closely...

Dale

Thanks. Based on your pics I have a pre 70 throw out bearing and a newer style clutch kit. I'm guessing I need to put the TO bearing that came with the clutch kit on the transaxle?

Or instead, do I need to get an earlier style clutch kit?
72 Porsche 914
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

I would think, If you have the good clutch on the motor. Just put the correct throw out bearing on the trans shaft.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Umm.... Shaft/forks are specific to year of transaxle and you have to put proper throwout bearing on shaft to match shaft/forks... If you have early shaft/throwout bearing, you need ring on pressure plate... If you have late transaxle with guide tube for throwout bearing you need pressure plate without ring.... You can not mix year styles of components....

BUT that should not keep from letting engine go all the way in...

IF you can get engine all but last 1-1/2 inches in it usually means you have alignment issue and input shaft of transaxle is not aligning properly with bearing in gland nut...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Umm.... Shaft/forks are specific to year of transaxle and you have to put proper throwout bearing on shaft to match shaft/forks... If you have early shaft/throwout bearing, you need ring on pressure plate... If you have late transaxle with guide tube for throwout bearing you need pressure plate without ring.... You can not mix year styles of components....

BUT that should not keep from letting engine go all the way in...

IF you can get engine all but last 1-1/2 inches in it usually means you have alignment issue and input shaft of transaxle is not aligning properly with bearing in gland nut...

Dale

I will exchange clutch pressure plate for proper style to use with existing TO bearing. Will jack rear wheels off ground when I try again.
I used alignment tool to install clutch and rechecked. Alignment on flywheel should be correct.

Thx
72 Porsche 914
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Any chance it is the wrong gland nut?

Just throwing it out there...
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Any chance it is the wrong gland nut?

Just throwing it out there...

If there is more than one choice for gland nut it certainly could be wrong. I have the gland nut for a 73. Based on above posts, the transaxle may be pre-70. Is there a different gland nut for earlier models?
72 Porsche 914
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Looks like there is one for pre-1960 engines.

I know you said your motor is a 1973 but are you sure the gland nut is?
vin man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't go in my 79 Bradley Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I purchased another clutch kit - this one for the 70 beetle - and got the motor in. On to wiring!

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/e065206/media/Our...9.jpg.html

http://s304.photobucket.com/user/e065206/media/Our...0.jpg.html
72 Porsche 914
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: