Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1943 Type 82 Motor Help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackbird939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

Hello Forum,

I finally broke down and bought a car off of my bucket list. I had a 1969 Porsche 911. I sold it last month. I had spent 12 years restoring and improving it, but it was a bit of an anticlimax when it was done. So.. I sold the 911 and bought what I really always wanted: a 1942 Typ 82. Actually, I am not sure if it is a last-days-of 1942 or first of 43. Anyway, it has a late-type 43 motor which is not 100% complete but probably 90%. Has the flywheel which I have been told is the holy-grail of these motors. My first question is this. Many people in the Kubel 'community' end up placing the early 24hp motors on the shelf and running 25hp or 36hp motors because they appear original but are more advanced, durable, powerful, plentiful, etc. So.. I was hoping that I could use the original motor (which turns easily) case, heads and the Solex 26VFI vergasser, but running a newer cam, valves, guides, crank, clutch, distributor etc. Thing is, I now know plenty about the 69-73 Porsche 911 motor, but absolutely zero about the VW motor. Seems straightforward enough, but the interchangeability of parts is a mystery. From what I've read, it looks like 25hp parts can, with some exceptions, be used on/in the original 43 motor case.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Shelve this mess and just buy a 36hp motor? Upgrade or finish this motor? It will need a lot. My fear is: WHERE do you find motor essentials like rod/main bearings for a 24 hp motor?

Is this motor just a basket case?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Many thanks in advance. Glad I finally have a real reason to be here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

25 and 36 hp internals should all fit in that case. 25hp pistons and cylinders and heads will fit but not 36hp pistons and cylinders without machining the case and heads.

On the outside it looks restorable. You won't really know until you open it up. Depending on how it was stored it could have a lot of corrosion of the case.

I see a transaxle in the background of one of your pictures that looks like it is missing the bottom part of the bell housing. Is that due to corrosion or is it an optical illusion? If that goes with the engine and they were mated then you might have some issues with the bottom of the case.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
blackbird939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

That's good to know. As far as the bell housing in the background of the picture, I have no idea. This motor was used after the war on a farm to run some kind of equipment. So I am hoping that there are no problems with the mating surfaces. The car is still in transit across the Atlantic, so I guess I'll find out when I see it finally.

Anybody recommend a top notch carb restoration shop for the KDF carb?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

Tim at Volkzbitz restored two 1940's carburetors for me. One is a 26 VFI Solex and the other is an Huf model. Here is a link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=639025&highlight=carburetor

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

Ed Fall at vintage werks does fantastic work as well.

http://www.vintagewerks.com/
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

What's the flywheel look like?
blackbird939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
What's the flywheel look like?

One crummy picture. I still don't have the car yet. Still on it's way across the Atlantic.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

How does that flywheel differ from a later one? It looks nearly identical to a 36hp one I have here.
blackbird939
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
How does that flywheel differ from a later one? It looks nearly identical to a 36hp one I have here.

Absolutely zero clue. Someone told me the flywheel was special. It could, in fact, be the most abundant part on the motor. I'm brand new to air cooled VW. Just learning. When I get it, I will post dimensions. Maybe it's thinner or thicker, etc.
1967 Honda S90
1975 Volvo C303
1972 Volvo 144E
2003 Eurovan MV
2017 Golf SE
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1943 Type 82 Motor Help Reply with quote

If that is your original flywheel for the engine, then it can be refurbished.
I've done this for one of my 1947 engine recently, and it has come out well.

Have it bead, or similarly media blasted, then the clutch plate contact area can be refaced, along with match recessing the flywheel outer rim, where the clutch pressure plate sits, and is held in place by the 6 bolts.

If the area where the oil seal runs is poor, then a new circular collar can be made and fitted. Bear in mind that the end of this also has to act as a thrust surface to prevent excessive crankshaft end float. My machinist didn't appreciate this at first!

Obviously where the crankshaft dowel pegs locate in the flywheel have to be in nice condition, but if not, a new set of 4 holes can be drilled at 45 degrees to the present ones. I've seen this on a number of flywheels in the past, where the original holes have ovaled out, normally due to the 36mm nut previously not being sufficiently tightened. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: