Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What have you traded for a VW?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

Traded 2 parakeets, cage and $25 for my first car, a 3 year old totaled 412 with no motor. I still have a scar 40 years later from learning how hammers and cold chisels work.
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I bought my `59 Beetle for $175 and two six-packs of PBR. Many years ago.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I owned a fully restored 1967 Cougar for 20 years. Seldom drove it anymore and was thinking of selling it. These cars are nice but worth much less than equivalent Mustangs and are harder to sell. Then some guy I know with a knack for finding interesting cars buys an all original '62 Beetle with 47,000 original miles and garage kept its entire life. A few months later he gets tired of it and asks if I would trade him the Cougar for the Beetle if throws some extra cash in too? Well, Duh!!! Even my favourite colour of Beryl Green, too...
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

In the Summer of 1979, I traded a Chrome strip that goes on the front drivers side fender of a 70's Chevy pick up for a '67 Beetle.
I worked a Browns Auto that summer, and they ordered the chrome for me, and I forgot to pay for it.
I turned the Bug into a Baja
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded engineering work for my non-running baja, 5 years ago...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

Traded a '93 spanish mauser rifle (missing a stock) for a 58 Baja bug (with original 36 horse) on four flat tires. drove it around the corner to air it up at the gas station, then drove it 25 miles home on slightly less flat tires. sold the car to a local guy for 1200$ who planned to restore it.

god i should have kept that rusty mess Shocked

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Traded a '93 spanish mauser rifle (missing a stock) for a 58 Baja bug (with original 36 horse) on four flat tires. drove it around the corner to air it up at the gas station, then drove it 25 miles home on slightly less flat tires. sold the car to a local guy for 1200$ who planned to restore it.

The Mauser or the baja? Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

The Mauser or the baja? Laughing

7X57 mauser with a 16.5" barrel...

that sucker was LOUD Twisted Evil

ear plugs and muffs were not enough!

the car was fun. theres nothing quite like a nice 36hp engine scooting along backroads, should of put dual 28picts on it and fixed it up.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I've been trying to trade my land in Hawaii for a decent double cab for about a year or so now.... Crying or Very sad

I guess Hawaii land has no value to vw ppl

who what of thought that a vw has a faster rate of appreciating than an acre of land that you could build a home and tropical lifestyle on....
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
I've been trying to trade my land in Hawaii for a decent double cab for about a year or so now.... Crying or Very sad

who what of thought that a vw has a faster rate of appreciating than an acre of land that you could build a home and tropical lifestyle on....

Ahh, Is that land in Pahoa near to the lava flow ??? That would be reason enough.........
bobna54oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded a 60's Yamaha 80 motorcycle for my first bug, a '58. This was in about 1970.
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded my sanity and money for a fat chick.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:

Ahh, Is that land in Pahoa near to the lava flow ??? That would be reason enough.........

No, 12 streets from the ocean near Hilo!!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

Nice to see I am not the only one who has traded labor and/or firearms for VW's.

My 69 Savannah beige storage shed was earned through property repairs and maintenance. My 67 Westy was acquired with some cash and trade of a Mosin Nagant M91/30 and an early 60's Marlin 336 30-30. I may try to go buy back the 30-30, I really liked that rifle.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
swavananda wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:

No, 12 streets from the ocean near Hilo!!

Let me guess, HPP?
Can't stand the Hippies, VOG, Locals, lack of water, lack of reliable services and lest we forget Diversity.
12 blocks from the ocean in Hawaii ain't shit unless it's on Kauai.
Too many make investments in areas they know squat about,
Needles in haystacks are sharp, don't forget.
Anyways
I traded for a life in Hawaii years ago for working in the low rent district of VW's.
Funny how it hasn't changed a bit.

Yeah, building a home in Hawaii is exactly like like building a classic car, there is No Profit.
It's a tax write off.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:

Let me guess, HPP?
Can't stand the Hippies, VOG, Locals, lack of water, lack of reliable services and lest we forget Diversity.

this can be found anywhere in the world, though. Can't dispute the nice temps, tropical vegetation, waterfalls, tranquil parks,close driving to a lot.

Quote:
12 blocks from the ocean in Hawaii ain't shit unless it's on Kauai.
Too many make investments in areas they know squat about,
Needles in haystacks are sharp, don't forget.
Anyways
I traded for a life in Hawaii years ago for working in the low rent district of VW's.
Funny how it hasn't changed a bit.

Lol... I guess the same could be said about alot of Vw buyers...

Wasn't for an investment on my part, kind of an inheritance...
Well aware of what/where, plus/minuses.....great for the price/value. (Kauai?? 10X the cost to own!!)
It's right for some ppl, just no longer needed in our life plans..

The land will last forever. Trading for a car with a limited life...well, I'd get more use and value from a decent double cab remainder of my life span....

Last edited by vwinnovator on Sun May 22, 2016 5:43 am; edited 2 times in total
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

I traded my dignity for my first squareback.

FU#3
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

notchback wrote:

What did you have left for the second one?
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
notchback wrote:

Dignity is tiered. Ask Braukuche.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334722&highlight=extraterrestrials

I must be an extraterrestrial Dan E, and you must sleep well in your white privileges.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/03/080313-AP-native-amer.html

Last edited by Spezialist on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: What have you traded for a VW? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
notchback wrote:

Not much, since I was making $4.25/hr washing dishes in a restaurant in Tacoma.

FU#3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: