Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towd build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Towd build Reply with quote

Not sure what I just picked up , but it is a project .
It appears that the PO did a stretch job and added the gage, my idea is to bring this back to original .
Step 1 Strip it down
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sandhopper on Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sanhopper build Reply with quote

I will need some info on some of the measurements
How long should this frame be , I was told that the wheel base should be 80 inches . Mine is measuring 94-95 inches

Last edited by sandhopper on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sanhopper build Reply with quote

It looks like this was stretched 14 to 16 inches

Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

While we all love original, I'm thinking a stretched Tow'd (done correctly), wouldn't be so bad. I'm 6 foot even, and had a bit of a crowding problem in the one I had.

I could see how a few inches would work, but an additional 15 would seem excessive
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

Still not sure what we have, there seem to be differences from a Tow'd OR a Sandhopper.
Subtle differences... the double roll bar is secured with welded studs, nuts on top. There are 3/16" gussets top forward from the roll bar/tank mount, and 1/4" gussets forward on the bottom, drilled...seat belt mounts? Lower driver's side has a stamped number...
1213-3203-D1, a proper stamping job, not a hand stamped, misaligned number.
The rear torsion housing is secured with short U-bolts to a welded angle flange.
The rear shock mounts are tied to the main tube with a twisted pc of 2 x 3/16 flat bar.
The master cylinder is bolted to a 4-3/4 x 8 x 1/8" plate that is welded to the back side of the foot panel support tube.
The main tube is 2", the angled foot support panel tube is 1-3/4", as is the double tube roll bar.

The wheelbase measures 81".

If someone would be so kind as to refresh an old man's memory I would post more explanatory pictures...

(With way more projects than spare time!)
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

Most tell me this actually a Towd
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

Umm... Original TOWD had extension tube the was for a tow bar, the method of extending/storing tow bar also doubled as the steering wheel support....

http://seatoseasafari.com/?p=1

But if chassis has been modded all bets are off.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

This one had a cage built so I assume the sterring tube support tow bar was removed
I will be putting one back
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

Here is pic of a reproduction tow bar....

Under hood pic...

Large hoop on front of your build leads me to believe your chassis had tow bar/ steering support but was removed when chassis was stretched....

The clinker in the fire (blacksmithing term) is I don't know if sandhopper used same steering mount/tow bar method...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

The clinker in the fire (blacksmithing term) is I don't know if sandhopper used same steering mount/tow bar method...

My Sandhopper does
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Towd build Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures Dale it will help
I need to find someone that can bend the 2.5 inch tubing for the steering support
Oz Towdster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Towd build Reply with quote

among other reasons that they would have chopped out the towing bar support is if you go to rack and pinion steering it gets in the way
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

Buggy Brian wrote:
While we all love original, I'm thinking a stretched Tow'd (done correctly), wouldn't be so bad. I'm 6 foot even, and had a bit of a crowding problem in the one I had.

I could see how a few inches would work, but an additional 15 would seem excessive

I like your thinking , it would be the same amount of work to make it standard or say 4 inches longer. I have never sat in one and I'm short 5'6" , but if I build this to sell which would be better ?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Towd Or Sandhopper build Reply with quote

sandhopper wrote:
Buggy Brian wrote:

I like your thinking , it would be the same amount of work to make it standard or say 4 inches longer. I have never sat in one and I'm short 5'6" , but if I build this to sell which would be better ?

For sale, use original specs...

Dale

sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Towd build Reply with quote

Where would the VIN number go . I have a pan with Non op paper and would like to use that for this build
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Towd build Reply with quote

sandhopper wrote:
Where would the VIN number go . I have a pan with Non op paper and would like to use that for this build

You can not move VW pan VIN to the TOA'D or Sand Hopper... Its state and federal crime to tamper with VIN....

Also Calif DMV rules state it has to be a SPCN (SPecial CoNstruction)..

IF it does not physically look like a Beetle then you can not use Beetle registration on it...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg

Dale

Oz Towdster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Towd build Reply with quote

Why NOT Dale as the rear end out of the bug is completely bolted into the rear of the Towds and if you cut it out of the doner pan correctly the vw VIN has not been tampered with , mind you you cn't read the bloody thing but who would know where to look anyway

Which as i believe most of the Towds in Socal are registered like
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Towd build Reply with quote

Oz Towdster wrote:
Why NOT Dale as the rear end out of the bug is completely bolted into the rear of the Towds and if you cut it out of the doner pan correctly the vw VIN has not been tampered with , mind you you cn't read the bloody thing but who would know where to look anyway

Which as i believe most of the Towds in Socal are registered like

Becasue CALIFORNIA USA has different rules than AUSTRALIA... DID you read the CALIFORNIA DMV rules in link I provided?....

AGAIN:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg

To misclassify car type and design can result in impoundment and monetary fines to a point where one can actually looses vehicle.... I not sure anyone wants to risk that...

Then there is this part of US law...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/511

http://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manu...on-numbers

I don't make the rules, I just try to save people grief when they go to register their vehicles, sure there are a lot of vehicles out there that just have had VIN moves and are misclassified , but they have not been caught or officer has not made a issue of it...

A person is free to do anything they want, just don't get caught if you are not withing the rules.......

sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Towd build Reply with quote

I did a little work on the project and found that it was lenghtend 12 inches
I did cut the cage up to make it original . I'm going to make the frame stock length the fiberglass the tube back together . I'm still looking for a used hood , but will buy new when time comes . I'm working on and off on this one as I have other projects also
Larry
caliif'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Towd build Reply with quote

Hi, IS someone can tell me if this body is for sale?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: