Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

so soon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I'm getting too old for this 12hour day stuff. I'ts hard to think about this when you can't walk upright after a 50 minute ride home. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it a lot. Some body pointed out I should cycle the front and check everything. I know better but for some reason it didn't cross my mind. Then I want to get the tires on and set the front down and see where it settles in at. I am planing on some more 7100's for the front. Of course Bilstein states you should not use their shock as a droop stop. I did manage to pick up the hardware to hold the rotors on the spindles. It keeps getting harder with my flaps only open tuesday thru friday.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

While screwing around on the newer computer I found some pics from the old computer of the first redo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Finally got some time to get in the garage. Got it sitting on the wheels after cycling the suspension and checking bump steer. Gained 8" in width and several inches of clearance. The al tierods are about 11/2 " too long. Going to have to be drilled and tapped. I think if I had to do it again,I would buy the bungs and some tubing and make my own.

Stopped by my flaps the other day. He said my heads came in and showed me these. The first thing I thought was I need a bigger cam. these arn't mine it turns out. I thought the castings looked pretty good for bugpack,err empi. Could have used a little polish in the chamber.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Got the dashbar and steering fabbed today. Put on the regular wheels and tires and rolled it out for pics. Gained 5"in front with 17" to the bottom of the beam and 3"in the rear with 15" to the bottom of the solid tranny mount.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Finished fabbing the lexan roof panels. still need to buff with a brick. Got to keep going forward so today I joined the club and procured this.

And I used it to do this.

enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Nice work. I like your new toy!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Haha YESSS I'm so happy you saved the frame. Very Happy

When I went over to your place after the bump from behind, I figured you would have to ditch it for new one. Looks like you saved it and saved it well!

I'm really curious if anyone has any direct experience using those 7100s as droop stops on the front beam. I could definitely see how using them in the rear would be bad, but what Richard said earlier about "Fox shocks and similar surviving the droop no issue" makes sense to me with the low spring rate in the front. I'm in the EXACT situation as you in the front end cbeck, and I'd love to know I didn't need straps or a hard lower stop.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Nice job saving this one, it's looking good! I did notice one thing I want to point out. In this pic:

I noticed you have one of those chrome fuel pressure regulators plumbed in. Those things are terrible, they are about the worst "regulator" you can buy. I would suggest either getting a rotary pump with the correct output pressure for your dual carbs, shimming the stock fuel pump or adjusting the rod length to suit, or getting a real regulator. Save yourself the tuning hassle down the road! Ask me how I know Laughing
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

enjoy the ride, thank you thank you. In a former life I managed to save the lexan out of several roached full glass aluminum doors and used sectional door track bolts to hold it on.
basher, man nothing gets by u guys. That regulator has done me fine so far, but I do see all the posts saying not to use them. Cured my epc's {not supposed to use empi either] from loading up off road. Another one of those bridges to cross.
jimmy who? Haven't heard from you in at least 7 or 8 months. I see you have plates on yours, you ought to ride over[ its nice out now] so I can see how soft yours is with 2 leaves removed from each pack. I saw on stf where cwb? or getrdone just jacked up their front and stuck on a piece of angle and capped it for droop. I'm not sure I want to find out the hard way. I heard you got a place up in town. Did you watch the movie money pit first?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Finished the front x and cut and tacked the 2 tubes for the front wall of the bed. Then came my o shit moment. Tried to slide the tank in from the top, first try fail. I think my options are to move the front wall to the rear about 3" or remove the trans and slide the tank in from the bottom. I would hate to lose 3" of bed length, but I would also hate to remove trans to remove tank. The tank is to go behind the x, just clearing the starter with the top of the tank just below the floor of the bed offset to the left and the battery next to it on the right. Tank fittings are to be in front of the front bed wall.

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

I agree, tank behind the X and maximize bed space if possible
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I've decided to loose a couple of inches of bed length to be able to remove the tank from above without yanking engine/trans. I guess thats why everything is only tacked together so far. Sorry chief, I missed it by that much.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Thanks. I think I've decided to loose a couple of inches of bed length to be able to remove the tank from above without yanking engine/trans. I guess thats why everything is only tacked together so far. Sorry chief, I missed it by that much.

You'll be much happier in the long run if you do it right/the way you want it now! Setbacks suck, but it'll be worth it.

Are you using flux core wire on those tubes?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

All the residue give it away? It is a handler 140 off of the work truck, I buy a spool once in a while. I work with it every day so I am used to it.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Those tabs for the shoulder belts are set at the wrong angle. They should be welded on the tube so the belt pulls in line with the tab. I would reject it at a race.

I would have run those upper diagonal tubes to the upper beam clamps.

Do you have stop pieces welded to the beam tubes to keep the beam from sliding sideways in the frame? I use tube that's a slip fit over the beam tube, could use 1/4" thick strap bent to fit or bent as it gets welded. Cut to about 1/3 of the diameter and welded on against the side of the beam clamp. Upper or lower tube or both. Be sure you don't melt the trailing arm bushings when you weld the stops on.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Richard, I still have to install two horizontal bars in the x for the belts to loop over from the rear going forward thru my harness slots in seat- 0 to 10* below top of shoulders. I am trying to listen but between the heat and the bulging disc not much has been happening lately. 2 of my union brothers died on the job due to the heat last week.
I still have some work I want to do on the beam. I was thinking about using some 1" between the 2 tubes just outside of the bottom clamps with some 1/8 plate filling the space between the 1" tube and the shock towers. I think I still want some kind of droop stop also. It is beginning to look like I might not get it done this summer. All the little details are eating up more time than I guessed. This has been one of my busiest springs with graduation/ grad party, and getting the youngest boy in college, getting same son his first car, and 6 long months of the mother in law passing from cancer. My wife has been a train wreck for 6 months.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

My condolences on all that...

If the belts are going to wrap over the top of the upper bars, then the tabs are correct.

Re the heat:
It's been 111° in the shade here the last 2 days. Only 104° Sunday. Forecast is for 104+ for the next week. My son is working in a factory with large ceiling fans and he's working in the shade. But it's often warmer air temp inside the RV factory than outdoors. The neighbor behind us is having his 1,200sq ft workshop garage re-roofed. The guys are done now after tearing it off and replacing the roof yesterday and today out in the sun. If I were their boss, I'd have had them working 6:00AM to 11:00AM. Then resuming at 6:00PM continuing to 8:00PM.

I understand people working in hot environments.

I really feel the droop stop is not necessary. The bolt on the upper arm contacting the lower arm is probably the simplest or 1/4" plate in an angle welded on the side of the upright.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Found a little time to waste in the garage. Added the metal on the outboard ends of the bams. Must have remembered wrong, the tubing rests against the upper beam mount. I am rethinking the forces may be able to use the leverage that the length of those mounts can create on the top tubes. Plan b will be using some 1/4" keystock that I have and welding onto the beam so they ride against the inside of the bottom frame beam clamps.

Bent my 2nd and 3rd attempts and used them to restore the lacing that was removed earlier.

Cut out the 2 pieces that will form the front of the bed and got 1 of the shoulder harness bars lightly tacked in place.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Got the fuel tank down where I want it, but I need to cycle the suspension again. It should be close.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: so soon? Reply with quote

Check clearance.

Bolt in tank and battery. Tack in frame horn supports.

I think I have enough support for the outer ends of the torsion, what to do for some more support for the middle of the torsion?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: