Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone still driving their VW daily?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Buttoned up a few small items on my '66. Tomorrow will be day one of it being my daily driver. 35 miles each way plus wherever I may go after work.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Buttoned up a few small items on my '66. Tomorrow will be day one of it being my daily driver. 35 miles each way plus wherever I may go after work.

Good luck and enjoy the ride:) keep us posted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

EA812 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

Good luck and enjoy the ride:) keep us posted.

No issues what so ever. Did 60-65mph both ways. Car ran great.
03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

[quote="Cali_Army_Guy"][quote="EA812"]
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

It's cool when it finally fun to drive again isn't it?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

[quote="03hdfatboy"][quote="Cali_Army_Guy"]
EA812 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

What's funny is I've had some "cool" cars over the years. 2000 WS6 Trans Am with over 400hp to the tires, 2004 GTO, multiple street bikes(one of which I've done 204mph on at the Texas mile), lifted 4x4's, but this little beetle gives me a bigger smile than any of those.
It's just pure joy every time I get in it.
03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

[quote="Cali_Army_Guy"][quote="03hdfatboy"]
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
EA812 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

What's funny is I've had some "cool" cars over the years. 2000 WS6 Trans Am with over 400hp to the tires, 2004 GTO, multiple street bikes(one of which I've done 204mph on at the Texas mile), lifted 4x4's, but this little beetle gives me a bigger smile than any of those.

I know exactly what you mean, I've had several 4x4s one was a big jacked up F250 diesel, several bikes (Still have 2) a 66 corvette and a 68 mustang. This Bug has got to be my favorite. I smile every time I see it in the garage and my wife thinks it's funny that I walk over to it and speak to it, call me crazy I don't care I love it. I actually get excited when it's time to head to work cause I know I'm gonna drive it. I have a fairly new 2015 Toyota Tacoma that I never drive now. Very Happy
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Thousands of.miles... All speeds.... No issues... Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have fun, be safe everyone Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Little update nobody cares about Laughing

Saturday will be two weeks I've had my '66. Ive literally driven it everyday since I bought it. I've put just under 1,100 miles on since then. So far so good.
03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Little update nobody cares about Laughing

Saturday will be two weeks I've had my '66. Ive literally driven it everyday since I bought it. I've put just under 1,100 miles on since then. So far so good.

I drive mine every day. Love driving it. Makes me happy
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

I have a 67 and a 69 Beetle. They are my only transportation for the past couple of years. I kind of shuffle driving them to keep them good. Two is good cause I can swap them when one gets sick.
deathpixel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathpixel wrote:
My '65 daily driver and only mode of transportation. Purchased 3/27/14 after selling my 3 year old Hyundai and it could not have been a better decision. 50th birthday (the car, not mine) in a couple weeks! I drove this car on the hottest day of summer and the coldest day of winter in Dallas, Texas. Less than 20 days that I have not driven it in the past year. Not once has it left me on the side of the road. Originally L289 Blue-white I believe with dealer-installed A/C.

1965 VW sedan w/ original popouts
1600cc as of 1/9/15 w/ shitty tiny EMPI duals >> 1641cc blew up 12/24/14
'67 or '68 stock swingaxle
155/60 front and 195/60 Kuhmo Solus on stock smoothies
30ish, not sure and don't really care
25+ daily, 16155 in the past 367 days (93882 as of today, purchased with 77727 on 3/27/14
100% satisfied, even with the crankshaft splitting in half on X-mas eve.
Long wish list, really want to bring it back to 100% stock and only cruise it occasionally. Want to pick up a '68 or later to drive daily. Dont have the heart to wreck this one, and Dallas drivers are terrible.

Today marks two years of ownership. Still driving daily in all four seasons. Lots of money spent correcting things, fixing others and purchasing parts. Runs really good at this point, starting to think about a second vehicle. A few things have changed so here it is:

1965 VW Sedan on its matching pan, originally Bahama Blue and now some sort of grey
1600cc DP with a repro 34 PICT 3 and real Bosch alternator, 16000ish miles on it
'67/68 stock swing axle
165/80R15 Nankangs front and rear, stock ride height now
30ish mpg
12ish miles daily, with semi-frequent trips between Dallas and Austin, total miles since purchase >30000 (been rolling with a broken disconnected speedo for awhile)
100% satisfied, the wish list grows shorter. Need to respray the running boards for sure.

Recently put on some repro slotted wide 5 wheels, a new turn signal lever and am switching the white interior accessories to black. Defrost has a new tube on the passenger side, I had a new windshield put in and purchased a serviced (not restored) speedometer yesterday. Working on putting together a set of original US spec overrider bumpers.

Can't get enough, now I want a second one.

76RennWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

73'
Rebuilt engine / floor pans new

blue65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

My 1965 Beetle is my daily driver.

It drives real sweet. Until I had a anti-camber bar installed at the back. The rear wheels got worn out on the inside. The upside is that I can now drive up my crazy steep driveway without scrapping my exhaust.

But late

bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Update: my bug is finally a proper daily driver after 3.5 years. I have continued driving it the whole time, just not every day. My brakes and front spindles had to be fixed/rebuilt, and my engine was rebuilt twice!
Still happy with the ride height, 1915cc might be upgraded soon.
I'm so happy to be driving it all the time now!
Wish I could put a rag in, but I can't find a clip in my area.
Buggyblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Driven daily. I love this little guy and so does everyone else lol.
I bought "Peanut" almost complete (so I was told). after fixing some wiring I noticed that things weren't done right so I have gone thru the entire car and almost fixed or replaced everything. Now I drive him daily and couldn't be happier.
1963 1641 DP dual 32pct carbs
4" narrowed adjustable beam by KCW
stock spindles
145 front 205 rear
70 miles round trip
28-30mpg when I keep my foot in check Twisted Evil
Satisfaction level: 10/10
Wish list: air ride suspension, A1 sidewinder exhaust, roof rack
samstheman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

70 miles round trip so far so good spent 9 months cleaning up everything. Everyone loves a VW
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

Every day, 38 miles round trip and 28mpg!

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

All stock '67 Bug.

Heidi became my daily driver when I retired April 1. I've logged nearly 3,000 miles with her since acquiring her last fall. Shes perfect for everything from our daily morning cruises along the beach to running various errands in and around town. We've even put her roof rack to good use on several ocassions hauling bagged mulch and sod from the local nursery Very Happy
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

It seems the oval forum doesn't have a daily driver thread. I drive my '57 almost daily. On trash day I take the Tacoma to clear the driveway. I was driving the oval in the rain today, with all 36 horsepower. Here it is in the garage after work one day.

Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone still driving their VW daily? Reply with quote

03hdfatboy wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

I know exactly what you mean, I've had several 4x4s one was a big jacked up F250 diesel, several bikes (Still have 2) a 66 corvette and a 68 mustang. This Bug has got to be my favorite. I smile every time I see it in the garage and my wife thinks it's funny that I walk over to it and speak to it, call me crazy I don't care I love it. I actually get excited when it's time to head to work cause I know I'm gonna drive it. I have a fairly new 2015 Toyota Tacoma that I never drive now. Very Happy

So glad I read this, I thought I was the only person who felt like this. Sometimes I find myself going out to the garage just to sit in it, wishing it was the 60's again and I could just head out to Mexico, Canada or the Florida Keys. Never felt the need for spare parts and only minimum tools, these were tough, fun little cars.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 52

Jump to: