Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

56 oval, coral red rustolium paint, Fuchs are from the revell VW Street machine kit. I think it looks better without the roof rack. Still got the interior to pant and flock, plus a couple more odds and ends
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
I got about six months invested in this thing.

They do take a long time, don't they! Nice job turning a resin shell into a complete model. Lots of cool details, including the second engine with stand. Are those hubs from the Testors Porsche 356 kit?
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

yes, the finned brakes are from the Testors kit,

hey, on the red bug, did you build the roof rack, or is that part of the kit? never seen that before
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It came with the kit. It's the Gunzie Sangyo kit. I'm sure I spelled it wrong lol
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

usmc1345 wrote:
It's the Gunze Sangyo kit.

Very nice build so far. In fact, I couldn't tell if this was a die caste that you modified, or if you started with a model.

Please keep us apprised of your progress.
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Ty, been a few years since I've built anything. Brushing up on my steady hand with this one lol
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

The Gunze Sangyo was a plastic model kit. And yes, the roof rack came with it, though it's a bit oversized for the bug.

There is a Chinese diecast model that's almost an exact copy of the Gunze. The biggest change is that it has opening doors.
Here's one of the knockoffs that I did a little customizing on.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Yeah I agree the roof rack looks oversized. Off to the parts bin it shall go lol. Nice die cast one. I want to build an 80s era one next with scallops and all lol.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It fits pretty well on the old Revell bus.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
It fits pretty well on the old Revell bus.

That rack looks great with the Pyro luggage packs. How did you make those stickers - I love those!
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Yeah it looks alot better on that sweet bus you got. I dig it.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Those decals were made by super duper toy guru Hacksaw BoB Gilmore.

And good eye on spotting the Pyro luggage, Don. Those are from the Pyro VW sunroof sedan model.

Heinz Nordhoff
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I just got my hands on another Gunze kit. I haven't built one in probably 20 years and am looking forward to starting on it. I've been raiding my parts stash and have a couple cool add ons for it.

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Nice. I got their kharman Ghia one also. Haven't built it yet though.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I just finished this. This is a truly BIZARRE model, the AMT TEEVEE Dune Buggy. This is a re-pop of a 1973 release. Check out that box art! I could not be any more early 70’s. The dude on the side is wearing a tie,,, at the dunes. This is supposed to look like a model T pickup truck with a VW bug engine. Did they ever make actual buggies like that? But the real crazy thing is this model is part of the “Katch the Kat” program, meaning 1 out of every 12 is not molded in the normal red, but in transparent blue metallic. I got it! But what that means is that I can’t paint it, or I lose the metallic blue finish. I decided to paint the back side of the body in florescent blue, as it complements the transparent blue and makes the metallic pop. It came out nice. Accents are done in dark blue metallic. It also comes with a miniature copy of the box to add to the display. Neat! I love to kit-bash models, so I made a few additions and modifications. I took the dashboard from the Revell bug kit. I took the disc brakes, rims, sway bar, jack, and tool pouch from the Testors Porsche 356 model. The front tires are vinyl and can be stretched to fit the slightly larger rim, but the back tires are actually plastic. I turned them on the lathe to take 0.100” off the ID so these rims would fit. The windshield and headlights are also odd in that they are transparent yellow instead of clear. Again, did anyone actual do that back then? Because the seats are moved back to the normal back seat position, it requires moving the gear shifter and pedals back and having a REALLY long steering column. Engine is a resin casting of the original, complete with super tall single port intake manifolds and tiny dual carbs. I built a distributor and added red spark plug wires.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Wow, that's spectacular in the metalflake blue, and yes, they really did make buggies like that.

There were a whole slew of buggy model kits from the late '60s and early '70s, including such cars as the Towd, Koyote, Imp, Manx, Avenger and Shalako, to name just a few, and they made a great source of custom parts for regular VW kits.

AMT has also just reissused Der Beetle Bus, which up to now has been a very rare and expensive kit. I can't wait to get my hands on some of them!

Heinz Nordhoff
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:

So cool ... more pictures of the engine, please!
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

more resin cast engine stuff can be seen in this ad,,,
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1851644
Herbie3Rivers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I just found one today. They molded it in metallic yellow, which I'm not a fan of since it's hard to cover up. So it'll get some shade of yellow paint. Details on it look great and the newly enhanced decal sheet has a lot of great options for other VW related kits.

Blue Baron wrote:
Wow, that's spectacular in the metalflake blue, and yes, they really did make buggies like that.

There were a whole slew of buggy model kits from the late '60s and early '70s, including such cars as the Towd, Koyote, Imp, Manx, Avenger and Shalako, to name just a few, and they made a great source of custom parts for regular VW kits.

AMT has also just reissused Der Beetle Bus, which up to now has been a very rare and expensive kit. I can't wait to get my hands on some of them!

2010 New Beetle Final Edition
2009 Ford Mustang Bullitt
1999 New Beetle GLS
1983 Mercedes 300D
1974 Karmann Ghia
1972 Super Beetle
1970 Beetle Sunroof
1959 Original Herbie #6
1956 Oval

Three Rvers VW Club

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Visit Herbie the Love Bug at LoveBugFans.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 60

Jump to: